CPAP machine

MJB1437

We will be cruising on the Eclipse in March and this will be the first time traveling with a CPAP machine- 2 questions- what do you do about using distilled water for the machine and is the cord long enough to reach the plug?

Myrna

I have been thinking about this as well. From what I can tell you would need some sort of extension cord for it. As for the water, I tend to run it dry half the time, anyhow.... Still maybe someone with experience will be able to comment on it.

We will be cruising on the Eclipse in March and this will be the first time traveling with a CPAP machine- 2 questions- what do you do about using distilled water for the machine and is the cord long enough to reach the plug?

Myrna

Just ask your room attendant and they will provide an extension cord and a gallon of distilled water.

One less thing to pack. Others will tell you that the cord they provide is garbage, but in all honesty the one I got was perfectly fine.

Depending on the room layout, they may have to tape it down so that it's not a tripping hazard.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Our friend requested them and they were in the room. The steward taped down the extension cord to prevent a tripping hazard. They had a concierge class stateroom on Eclipse. The outlet is across the room from the nightstand.

They used to have a special needs form that you filled out, and submitted on-line,

Now they still have a form, but you have to fill it out, save it, and email it.

Might as well just email them with a request as suggested above,

Here is a link to the form if your curious.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/special-needs/medical-needs

I went through the special needs request rigmarole and yes they supplied FOC a Gallon of distilled water. It fell apart after that. The extension lead supplied was one that someone had cobbled together and was electrically unsafe (I have a video of it, the strain releif was loose and wires exposed). I took a powerboard with me as I use a heated pipe to prevent rainout, so an extension lead alone is no use. This was of course confiscated and I was directed to Guest services who supplied me with (for $100 deposit) a powerboard that I would not have bought if it was being given away free from a Chinese no name manufacturer! The problem was that the extension lead was US plug format and the powerboard was Euro plug format! As it turned out (after management grabbed back the unsafe extension lead) the lead on the powerboard just reached long enough. They offered to tape it down but if they had, I wouldn't have been able to access the mini bar as the lead had to go across the door to make it, so we lived with the trip hazard.

There is a lot on this cruise line that is done in the so called name of safety but IMHO it is sadly lacking and it seems to me that some things are done to increase profits rather than promote safety (EG hair straighteners are OK but irons aren't). The electrical safety of the extension lead was my biggest concern as these cobbled together leads were visible all over the ship but no evidence was there of any test/tagging regime! In Australia, the lead I was issued with would have been the subject of a near miss report which is a serious safety incident!

I have done four cruise on Celebrity in the last year and always got a safe extension cord and distilled water. A quick call to special needs results in both the cord and the water waiting in the cabin when we arrive. On the longer b2b the distilled water(always in a new and sealed container) was replaced before it was used up, never had to ask the room attendant!

We are on the Eclipsenext month(02/04) and expect the same thing!

Hal

We travel with 2 CPAP machines, and our experience on Celebrity has been fantastic. We told our room steward on the first day when he greeted us, a gallon of distilled water appeared as did a safe, heavy duty, extension cord. Our room stewards (4 cruises, 4 ships) even ran the cord under our bed and plugged our CPAPs in (we set them up not plugged in before leaving, and they were plugged in when we returned.)

The cord did have to go across the room, but we unplugged it during the day and tucked the end under the bed, so it worked out very well.

All-in-all, a positive experience.

Even if you forget to call, just ask your room attendant and both extension cord and distilled water will magically appear. They will tape the cord where it crosses the floor so you don't accidentally trip on it.

Have a great cruise

I went through the special needs request rigmarole and yes they supplied FOC a Gallon of distilled water. It fell apart after that. The extension lead supplied was one that someone had cobbled together and was electrically unsafe (I have a video of it, the strain releif was loose and wires exposed). I took a powerboard with me as I use a heated pipe to prevent rainout, so an extension lead alone is no use. This was of course confiscated and I was directed to Guest services who supplied me with (for $100 deposit) a powerboard that I would not have bought if it was being given away free from a Chinese no name manufacturer! The problem was that the extension lead was US plug format and the powerboard was Euro plug format! As it turned out (after management grabbed back the unsafe extension lead) the lead on the powerboard just reached long enough. They offered to tape it down but if they had, I wouldn't have been able to access the mini bar as the lead had to go across the door to make it, so we lived with the trip hazard.

There is a lot on this cruise line that is done in the so called name of safety but IMHO it is sadly lacking and it seems to me that some things are done to increase profits rather than promote safety (EG hair straighteners are OK but irons aren't). The electrical safety of the extension lead was my biggest concern as these cobbled together leads were visible all over the ship but no evidence was there of any test/tagging regime! In Australia, the lead I was issued with would have been the subject of a near miss report which is a serious safety incident!

Your experience is quite at odds with everything I've read with respect to Celebrity's assistance provided to CPAP machine users. Of course, that's not totally unexpected as you've posted on CC three times to date, all three posts have been negative and you've stated that you "May just start my own 'bellyaching' thread".

We have traveled with 2 CPAP machines on Celebrity and without fail they have supplied extension cords and 1 gallon of distilled water per week.

However, I would definitely carry a set of adapters so you can plug your machines into whatever extension cord they supply. All CPAP machines are 100-240 VAC and 50-60 cycles.

With the adapters you can plug into one of the European 240 V outlets and plug your CPAP into the extension cord regardless of the plugs on the extension cord.

It is likely you can bring an extension cord with 3 plugs at the end in order to plug in the 2 CPAP machines and have an extra place to plug in a laptop or cellphone charger.

We have traveled with 2 CPAP machines on Celebrity and without fail they have supplied extension cords and 1 gallon of distilled water per week.

However, I would definitely carry a set of adapters so you can plug your machines into whatever extension cord they supply. All CPAP machines are 100-240 VAC and 50-60 cycles.

With the adapters you can plug into one of the European 240 V outlets and plug your CPAP into the extension cord regardless of the plugs on the extension cord.

It is likely you can bring an extension cord with 3 plugs at the end in order to plug in the 2 CPAP machines and have an extra place to plug in a laptop or cellphone charger.

Great point about being able to use the European outlet for your CPAP (with a plug adapter). Many cell phones and laptops can also be plugged into either the 110v or 220v outlet, as well, so an adapter is just a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Your experience is quite at odds with everything I've read with respect to Celebrity's assistance provided to CPAP machine users. Of course, that's not totally unexpected as you've posted on CC three times to date, all three posts have been negative and you've stated that you "May just start my own 'bellyaching' thread".

My experience may be at odds but it happened and I took a video of the faulty cord but don't know how to post it here. I have as you say posted three times but as I have only cruised with Celebrity once, I don't believe that is unusual. If my experience was bad, do you expect me to pretty it up or would you prefer me to just shut up and not relate my experiences? Seems pretty biased to me. Yes I did suggest I may start my own bellyaching thread but that was more of a sarcastic comment to others complaining about people bellyaching. If it was bad then it was bad, I am not going to just say it was good just because you don't want to hear it!

My experience may be at odds but it happened and I took a video of the faulty cord but don't know how to post it here. I have as you say posted three times but as I have only cruised with Celebrity once, I don't believe that is unusual. If my experience was bad, do you expect me to pretty it up or would you prefer me to just shut up and not relate my experiences? Seems pretty biased to me. Yes I did suggest I may start my own bellyaching thread but that was more of a sarcastic comment to others complaining about people bellyaching. If it was bad then it was bad, I am not going to just say it was good just because you don't want to hear it!

It's all a question of balance. When people come back from a cruise and have nothing but negative comments to make, their credibility suffers. We've had cruises that weren't perfect, but we always comment on the many positives instead of focussing on the occasional minor negative. IMO, a cruise review thread talking about your overall experience would be far more useful and credible than the bellyaching thread that I now see you have decided to pursue.

We've sailed with Celebrity many, many times bringing two CPAP machines, always notifying Special Needs in advance as noted above, and we've never had any problems at all. Occasionally we had to remind our room steward that we needed the extension cord and distilled water, and always it was brought to us within a few minutes. Happily we both joined WeightWatchers 18 months ago and have had quite successful weight loss - 100 lbs between us. I no longer have sleep apnea, and my husband's has decreased so now is successfully managed with just an oral appliance, No more carting CPAP machines all over the world! Now the challenge is to continue eating healthy while cruising - and we've found that it can be done.

We were on Equinox last week and dh uses a CPAP. He normally calls a few weeks in advance about water and an extension cord and they are always in our cabin when we board. His old CPAP needed the extra length, but his new one had a long enough cord to reach the plug. So it depends on the CPAP you have

It's all a question of balance. When people come back from a cruise and have nothing but negative comments to make, their credibility suffers. We've had cruises that weren't perfect, but we always comment on the many positives instead of focussing on the occasional minor negative. IMO, a cruise review thread talking about your overall experience would be far more useful and credible than the bellyaching thread that I now see you have decided to pursue.

I started the thread because of comments like yours. It is nice to comment on the good points but when so much goes wrong, it becomes hard to see things in a positive light. As for my credibility, you are in no position to judge as you weren't there, at least I am consistent and there is no one coming on to say I was there and it didn't happen (wow wouldn't that be creepy, almost there though with your comments).

Just out of curiosity, how long has anyone been on CPAP? I have used mine every night since September 1997..that's 20 years and 4 months. Developed (and mostly still manufactured) in Australia, United Kingdom was the next big user before Canada. U.S. seemed to be slow on the uptake. On cruises as far back as December 1997, airport customs and ship's staff were unaware of what they were. In those days, the CPAP could not go through the metal detector and had to be examined (and sometimes even set up) at airport security. Now, they are smaller, quieter and cost a lot less. Just got my newest Resmed 10, two weeks ago, paid for partly by ADP (Ontario government) and private insurance.

So how long??????

Just out of curiosity, how long has anyone been on CPAP? I have used mine every night since September 1997..that's 20 years and 4 months. Developed (and mostly still manufactured) in Australia, United Kingdom was the next big user before Canada. U.S. seemed to be slow on the uptake. On cruises as far back as December 1997, airport customs and ship's staff were unaware of what they were. In those days, the CPAP could not go through the metal detector and had to be examined (and sometimes even set up) at airport security. Now, they are smaller, quieter and cost a lot less. Just got my newest Resmed 10, two weeks ago, paid for partly by ADP (Ontario government) and private insurance.

So how long??????

Wow that is a long time on Cpap, I have been on it for about 5 years and have an S8, with that I have to use a separate heated hose to prevent rain out and that is why just an extension lead is not enough. What most people don't realise is that it comes under the heading of essential medical equipment and is exempt from a lot of rules when travelling. I believe it doesn't even count as hand luggage on a plane when carried on so you can take an extra bag but I have never tried this. A cruise line would also be on a sticky wicket if they tried to make it hard for you to use this equipment.

Edited by r4addz
missing spaces and spelling