St Barts recommendations

Piaa

Good afternoon everyone - not long now so please forgive the questions ;)

Anyone have a suggestion for St Barts post hurricane ? Our day on St Barts is my birthday so looking for beach (possibly) with a nice lunch (or just a great lunch restaurant suggestion)

I have only been twice before but both times off season and after Irma I am not sure what might be open. I did read (I think) that Cheval Blanc Hotel is open - does anyone know if they allow non guests for the day or is there a better option ?

Thank you for any recommendations and for any others recommendations/suggestions you might have for our other ports of call - Jost (don't need recommendations for Jost as I am there often LOL) Nevis, Iles Des Saintes, Guadeloupe, Martinique and Bequia.

Good afternoon everyone - not long now so please forgive the questions ;)

Anyone have a suggestion for St Barts post hurricane ? Our day on St Barts is my birthday so looking for beach (possibly) with a nice lunch (or just a great lunch restaurant suggestion)

I have only been twice before but both times off season and after Irma I am not sure what might be open. I did read (I think) that Cheval Blanc Hotel is open - does anyone know if they allow non guests for the day or is there a better option ?

Thank you for any recommendations and for any others recommendations/suggestions you might have for our other ports of call - Jost (don't need recommendations for Jost as I am there often LOL) Nevis, Iles Des Saintes, Guadeloupe, Martinique and Bequia.

On Nevis try and hit Sunshines (Killer Bee) and Lime beach bars for real Caribbean atmosphere. On Bequia walk on down to Whalebone Bar. Hope you have good weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Piaa...my partner's birthday is also the day we visit St Barts and we've made reservations for lunch at Shellona. It had been recommended to us from some locals during our last visit.

Piaa, when we were on Nevis in January we walked to the Four Seasons for lunch. About a 45 minute walk (we taxied back). Zimmy wanted to check it out as a possible destination. Beautiful hotel and they showed us a room. Had a very nice lunch there. When we got back on board I learned that we had missed the weiner schnitzel lunch, which is one of my favorites. So I arranged to have it available the following day. But now that I see your itinerary, it is likely that Nevis will be your beach party day. So just go and enjoy that. (Although Vandrefalk reported that recent swells made it difficult for the tenders to get to Nevis and the splash was held on deck.)

In Bequia we like to go to Mac's for lobster pizza. Maybe a 20 minute walk along the water. Turn right as you leave the dock area. It is beyond the Whalebone. Its expensive ($100 for a medium pizza, which is actually more than 2 people need), but it is covered with lobster. And the proprietor is a really nice guy. An American expat.

Iles des Saintes is a charming little French village. Just walk along the main street and shop. Some very nice boutiques. Pick up a pain au chocolat or a baguette at a boulangerie. If the owner chooses to be open, there is a very nice soap store to the left of the dock area, just past the pharmacy.

And as for wanting to sail with Avery and me, all I can say is be careful what you wish for.

Piaa..yes, we are on the same cruise this coming Saturday. St, Barts (and the cruise) will be a great way to celebrate your birthday! We will be escaping New England in a few days for a some time in St John before sailing.

Excellent BCinMA - where are you staying in St John and what ferry are you planning on taking on Saturday (we will probably be on the 1pm from Cruz Bay) Book dinner at Extra Virgin one night on St John - I think you will like it.

Edited by Piaa

Piaa, good morning, only 5 days left til sailing. Cold and blustery even here in Atlanta today. Hope the swells are subsiding and the sun stays shining down where you are. The Tiki's are ready to be wheels up and headed to SD.

As to St Barths, last year on one of our sailings a passenger celebrating his 50th Bday went to Nikki Beach for a lunch party (it was quite the party and we will share with you over drinks at TOYB soon). Not sure how much damage from the Hurricane but I think that entire beach area was hit rather hard (Windward side). You have to take a taxi up an over by the airport to get to places on that side of island, which is a fun drive, just make sure to make arrangements for a return pick up (taxi's can be hard to come by on that side). I believe one of the SD Excursions is a Catamaran half day sail. We did that once. It is pleasant, only about a dozen folks at max capacity so not crowded touristy type. Just a thought.

Also, Trap - thank you for the tips about Iles des Saintes, one of the places that will be new for us. Looking forward to pizza at Mac's in Bequia.

See ya in a few days.

Cheers

Mark

How fun that we will now have two birthdays to celebrate on Tuesday! Jealous that you all only have a ferry ride to get to the ship. We will be up early Saturday morning to fly from Atlanta, with fingers crossed that we don’t encounter any delays. (Our pesky jobs won’t let us get away earlier to allow some breathing room!)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Piaa, We were thinking the 1:00 PM ferry has well although it's always tough to leave St. John:):) :-)

I totally agree (but I am a bit biased LOL) We might look at little different than your previous trips but the love is still in Love City <3

We rented a car for our second day on St Bart's on our SD 1 cruise last week. We drove everywhere and found the scenery as wonderful as it has been in the past, and all of the roads were passable. Looking for a great place for lunch outside of Gustavia, it wasn't easy to find a place to eat that was open. We ended up at La Langouste in Flamands, and it was fantastic. The food was upscale and delicious, the service was excellent, the price was reasonable for the island, we were made to feel very welcome and English was spoken by everyone there. There's a view over the pool to the ocean beach beyond, and you can walk the beach. It would be a great place for a Birthday meal. Nikki Beach is still closed. Some of the SD cruisers hung out at Shellona for the day. They liked it, but were there for the lounge chairs on the beach rather than a nice meal in the restaurant.

We rented a car for our second day on St Bart's on our SD 1 cruise last week. We drove everywhere and found the scenery as wonderful as it has been in the past, and all of the roads were passable. Looking for a great place for lunch outside of Gustavia, it wasn't easy to find a place to eat that was open. We ended up at La Langouste in Flamands, and it was fantastic. The food was upscale and delicious, the service was excellent, the price was reasonable for the island, we were made to feel very welcome and English was spoken by everyone there. There's a view over the pool to the ocean beach beyond, and you can walk the beach. It would be a great place for a Birthday meal. Nikki Beach is still closed. Some of the SD cruisers hung out at Shellona for the day. They liked it, but were there for the lounge chairs on the beach rather than a nice meal in the restaurant.

Thank you so much - quick question .. where did you rent your car from (what company) and do you have their contact info by chance please ? and we have booked lunch at La Langouste .. very excited :)

We rented from Barthloc in Gustavia. We chose them because they were the first one we saw looking up the hill from the Bar de L'oubli on our first day in St Barts. We rented a Mini Cooper convertible that was almost new. We picked it up early the next morning, and spent most of the day with it. It used very little gas even though we covered every road on the island. The location is really convenient to the port. When we made the reservation at their office, they put an 1800 US dollar pre-auth on our credit card as a deposit. They removed the pre-auth when we returned the car, and charged us 105 US for the rental. There's a budget rental car at the airport which I suspect is cheaper, but it's a long walk there and back on a busy road. Barthloc has a website with all of their info if you search on Barthloc Gustavia.

Several years ago we rented a car at St. Bart's through the SD concierge. It was waiting for us in the parking lot where the tender docked, and that is where we dropped it off. Don't remember how the price might have compared, but it was simple. As a first-timer, Piaa, you should be aware that the concierge can make all kinds of onshore arrangements for you, including booking private tours.

Several years ago we rented a car at St. Bart's through the SD concierge. It was waiting for us in the parking lot where the tender docked, and that is where we dropped it off. Don't remember how the price might have compared, but it was simple. As a first-timer, Piaa, you should be aware that the concierge can make all kinds of onshore arrangements for you, including booking private tours.

Wonderful to know TrapperZimmy (I would not have known this) and I just read somewhere on this forum that SD can pack a picnic lunch as well .. getting more excited for our first (but not last of that I am 100% certain) SD experience