Samoa, South Pacific

Eyeland trip

I have recently seen so many beautiful things about this country. I wonder if there is anyone who has done a cruise to Samoa yet?

I have just been told of a tour operator known as Tai's Native Experience and wonder if someone else has tried them before?

Thanks in advance.

I have recently seen so many beautiful things about this country. I wonder if there is anyone who has done a cruise to Samoa yet?

I have just been told of a tour operator known as Tai's Native Experience and wonder if someone else has tried them before?

Thanks in advance.

We have been to both American Samoa and Samoa.

America Samoa. There is a small port area with vendors selling shirts and other items. Outside the port are small buses that can take you on an island loop. You can also go to Tisa's Barefoot Bar a very popular cruise passenger stop. Tisa was at the port both times we were there. Tisa's has a bar a restaurant and a beach area. You can find it on line.The National Park Service also ran guided tours into the National Park. Sign up on the dock. The tours fill quickly.

In Samoa we walked into town. The town is very commercial. There was a cultural center that ran free demonstrations. We stopped at Aggie Grey hotel for a few drinks. There are other nice locations in Samoa that we did not go to.

Each time we visited it was very hot and humid.

Thanks for the feedback. I am actually very interested in Samoa not American Samoa. I have been told they are two separate countries.

I am more interested in Samoa where we would like to hop off and explore.

I just wanted to know if anyone did a tour with Tai's Native Experience yet as he has almost unteal reviews on his facebook page.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been to Samoa a few times - as land-based trips as well as cruises. The island where most ships dock is Opolu. The capital city, Apia, is a fairly charming place though investment by the Chinese has led to some ugly modern buildings in recent years. However, this is a great place to rent a car and drive around on your own. The villages are the South Pacific of yesteryear and there are some spectacular beaches. Driving round the entire island is probably too far for a day-trip but there's a cross-island road so you can just do half of it. Lunch on the other side at the Coconuts hotel isn't a bad idea. We once stayed there for two weeks - back in the 1990s.

Most people visit Robert Louis Stevenson's house. It's a replica, not the original and ten times bigger than RLS's house. You can climb up to his grave.

American Samoa gets a lot of criticism. Only been there once and I really enjoyed its mix of Polynesia and Uncle Sam. The scenery around Pago Pago harbour rivals Moorea in French Polynesia. I did a ships' tour here to Leone, a lovely church with a memorial to missionary John Williams who ended his life being served up as dinner in Erromango, New Hebrides.