Ra'iatea - scooter or car rental near port

kayo kruiser

Hi

We will be in Ra'iatea in January for 2 days. We've booked a water tour for the first day to Taha'a but I would like to do a land tour of Ra'iatea on the second day. We were thinking of renting a car or scooter but I've not been successful in finding a rental company near the cruise port. Does anyone know of a company/website where I could book something in advance? thanks so much.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I wouldn't Rent a Car there. I found BEST way to snoop was to hire a local driver with a Mini-van right near the Pier and tell her/him 'Take me ALL the way around the Island'. $Cheap$. They know the Archeologic points of interest and places to get food and cocktail etc.

On 11/5/2018 at 6:54 AM, LocoLoco1 said:

I wouldn't Rent a Car there. I found BEST way to snoop was to hire a local driver with a Mini-van right near the Pier and tell her/him 'Take me ALL the way around the Island'. $Cheap$. They know the Archeologic points of interest and places to get food and cocktail etc.

Are there a lot of private drivers at the dock? We will be there in early January and we're not finding the ship's excursions appealing, and I'm struggling to find a private tour company. Would much prefer to find someone who can take us specifically where we want to go. Would appreciate any tips/info.
Thanks!

I agree!! It is So-oo low-key that I simply asked a gal selling flowers on the street, 'You know anybody with a Mini-van?" 'Yeah, my sister...'  Away we went. I wanted to visit once again the Taputapuatea Marae with our new found cruise-mates and stop at a few Overlook Vistas because I snorkeled/SCUBA'd elsewhere.  1 road rings the mountainous Island. Read up on Trip Advisor, Lonely Planet...you'll get the drift that it's a small, rugged island with NO beaches. Taha'a off-shore islet is where the tours take novice snorkelers etc. We finished up with French baguettes, beers and fruit plate back near the Pier.

13 hours ago, Borrillje said:

Are there a lot of private drivers at the dock? We will be there in early January and we're not finding the ship's excursions appealing, and I'm struggling to find a private tour company. Would much prefer to find someone who can take us specifically where we want to go. Would appreciate any tips/info.
Thanks!

Only a handful of drivers ... 

• 4 weeks later...

We have emailed with Raiatea Car Rental. You do have to take a taxi (they are located near the airport) to pick up the car and back to the pier after drop off. They were very prompt with their communications.

Edited by Sea42

I was just there 2 days ago and there was nothing at the dock but boats for hire for the day. But we came in on Wind Spirit with 140 passengers so maybe locals were not expecting demand. There is an open air Tahiti Tourist office in complex right as you exit ship and they can prob hook you up with a driver.