New Royal Caribbean Cruiser.

Grenade

I had a cruise booked with Carnival for April 2019. They changed the itinerary from Key West and Cozumel. To Cuba and Cozumel, when they notified us of the change they gave us the option of continuing on with that itinerary or giving us our money back. I have very specific reasons for Key West, a guide I fish with goes down there and does Tarpon trips during that time. Carnival had nothing going to Key West during that period. We found a Royal Caribbean cruise going to Key West in April. Two days ago we get an email that they have change the itinerary to Grand Cayman and Cozumel. They told us either take the changes or cancel and lose the deposit of several hundred dollars. I would have thought RC would have been a little more accommodating than this. Seems I've made a big mistake. Anyone ever dealt with a problem like this?

Unfortunately, the cruise contact only states that you will go on a cruise. They have the right to change the itinerary.

If Key West is a must do, a land trip might be a better option.

Looks like that is what I will have to do. Or just stay with Carnival, they at least give you the option of going or a refund if they change it.

Looks like that is what I will have to do. Or just stay with Carnival, they at least give you the option of going or a refund if they change it.

There are two ways to book on RCL - refundable and nonrefundable deposit. Sounds like you booked with a nonrefundable deposit. If you booked directly online, the web site is very clear that the deposit is nonrefundable. If you booked through a travel agent, then they should have been very clear with you about the choice between "refundable" and "nonrefundable".

Just go to Key West. Ports are never guaranteed, so you could be on a ship to Key West, and then skip the port and have a day at sea for any number of reasons.

Plus, port times are rarely conducive to successful fishing. After catching nothing for an hour and a half on a deep-sea fishing excursion, I asked the Captain when he went out if he really wanted fish, and he said first thing in the morning. We did not leave first thing in the morning, because the ship didn’t get in that early.

If you have a week-long cruise and you only care about one port, just go to that port.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by xriva
Details added

There are two ways to book on RCL - refundable and nonrefundable deposit. Sounds like you booked with a nonrefundable deposit. If you booked directly online, the web site is very clear that the deposit is nonrefundable. If you booked through a travel agent, then they should have been very clear with you about the choice between "refundable" and "nonrefundable".

Well, as I said I am new to RC. The thing that got to me is there is the exact cruise going to Key West the week before mine. I asked to be switched to that one if they weren't planning to change the itinerary to that one and they wouldn't do it.

Well, as I said I am new to RC. The thing that got to me is there is the exact cruise going to Key West the week before mine. I asked to be switched to that one if they weren't planning to change the itinerary to that one and they wouldn't do it.

Again, the itinerary for any cruise is never guaranteed. No one can tell about weather conditions, mechanical problems etc. If Key West is that important to you perhaps you need to consider a vacation there instead of a cruise.

It sounds as if you chose to book a no refundable deposit; again, unfortunate, but your choice.

You might want to try calling RC resolutions department to see if they can make s straight switch to the cruise you want, but you might be unsuccessful. Also again they cannot guarantee an itinerary which is what you seem to be asking for.

If you booked a non-refundable deposit, you can cancel your current cruise with RCL, lose $100 per person, and get the rest of the deposit as a future cruise credit. Use the credit to book the one you want with a refundable deposit. But realize that after final payment, RCL (or any other cruise line) may still change the itinerary and you'll be out of luck and subject to RCL's cancellation penalties.

Just search these boards for discussions of cruise lines going to Canada rather than Bermuda/Bahamas/Caribbean to avoid hurricanes. Nothing to be done about that. At least your ship is still in the Caribbean!

I told them that's exactly what I would do if they didn't make the change.

If you told “them” - the hard working staff - how did you expect them to fix things for you!!!! Why not ask your TA why they booked you a non refundable/no change deposit? Or, if you booked it yourself, admit that you made an error. Regardless, ports are never guaranteed.

If you told “them” - the hard working staff - how did you expect them to fix things for you!!!! Why not ask your TA why they booked you a non refundable/no change deposit? Or, if you booked it yourself, admit that you made an error. Regardless, ports are never guaranteed.

They are if you told them that was why you booked that cruise in the first place. We had an itinerary changed on carnival and when they contacted me they gave me the option of accepting the change or refunding my money. I took the money and booked with RC (never been on RC) 20 cruises on carnival. They told us last week that our itinerary was changed and I told them I didn't want to go to Grand Cayman twice in three months, I wanted to go to Key West like I booked. No help, and they have two earlier cruises to Key West earlier in April. So if I have to screw the crew so be it. I will get my money back one way or the other. I guess I could throw a couple lounges over the side, but the tip thing seem the best.

they are if you told them that was why you booked that cruise in the first place. We had an itinerary changed on carnival and when they contacted me they gave me the option of accepting the change or refunding my money. I took the money and booked with rc (never been on rc) 20 cruises on carnival. They told us last week that our itinerary was changed and i told them i didn't want to go to grand cayman twice in three months, i wanted to go to key west like i booked. No help, and they have two earlier cruises to key west earlier in april. so if i have to screw the crew so be it. i will get my money back one way or the other. I guess i could throw a couple lounges over the side, but the tip thing seem the best.

:(:(:(

They are if you told them that was why you booked that cruise in the first place. We had an itinerary changed on carnival and when they contacted me they gave me the option of accepting the change or refunding my money. I took the money and booked with RC (never been on RC) 20 cruises on carnival. They told us last week that our itinerary was changed and I told them I didn't want to go to Grand Cayman twice in three months, I wanted to go to Key West like I booked. No help, and they have two earlier cruises to Key West earlier in April. So if I have to screw the crew so be it. I will get my money back one way or the other. I guess I could throw a couple lounges over the side, but the tip thing seem the best.

Your name is fitting. It’s pathetic. You booked a non-refundable. Take the $100pp lose and move your cruise. But your waiters and cabin stewards have nothing to do with it.

I told them that's exactly what I would do if they didn't make the change.

So you told a reservations or resolutions agent on the phone that you would remove the tips on a cruise. Why would THEY care? They aren't the ones affected by it.

Whenever you book a non-refundable deposit, it is VERY clear on the screen. If you booked through a TA, they should also have made it very clear. You had a choice - refundable or non-refundable deposit. You obviously chose the non-refundable. In ANY cruise contract on ANY cruise line, it states that no ports are guaranteed. Where is YOUR responsibility in this problem?

Would it be nice if they waived the rules or restrictions for you? Absolutely. Should they? I might have said yes before reading the rest of your posts. Since you've decided to stiff the hardworking crew members for something they have no control over (and that YOU refuse to take responsibility for), I have no problem seeing you lose your deposit. I am also happy to know I don't have to worry about running into you on RCCL in the future.

So you told a reservations or resolutions agent on the phone that you would remove the tips on a cruise. Why would THEY care? They aren't the ones affected by it.

Whenever you book a non-refundable deposit, it is VERY clear on the screen. If you booked through a TA, they should also have made it very clear. You had a choice - refundable or non-refundable deposit. You obviously chose the non-refundable. In ANY cruise contract on ANY cruise line, it states that no ports are guaranteed. Where is YOUR responsibility in this problem?

Would it be nice if they waived the rules or restrictions for you? Absolutely. Should they? I might have said yes before reading the rest of your posts. Since you've decided to stiff the hardworking crew members for something they have no control over (and that YOU refuse to take responsibility for), I have no problem seeing you lose your deposit. I am also happy to know I don't have to worry about running into you on RCCL in the future.

You keep saying non-refundable, good customer service is what we are talking about here. This cruise was more expensive than my carnival cruise. Carnival did the right thing. I;m not use to a company that screws me over not making it right. So you sail with this bunch if you like them. Me, I'm done, but they won't just take my money and not even say I'm sorry we screwed you, I don't play like that.

I'm sorry you are disappointed. The cruise contract clearly states that ports can change. You agreed to that when you booked. You also booked under certain restrictions (our your TA did and didn't explain to you) that the cruise line is also in their right to enforce. But to take your anger out on the extremely hard working crew that had absolutely nothing to do with the decision by removing their pay (they rely on the gratuities as their pay), is taking an extremely low position. Please be sure to tell the crew you will be removing their tips at the beginning of the cruise so that you can receive the service you deserve.