Pier Runners

thunter1224

I understand that if the ship is Gone.. you are screwed. But I see videos where they have pulled back to the dock and allowed to board.. Do they get charged any fee for holding up 1000s of people and having the workers on the dock do extra work . Because these people can't tell time ?

I've not seen a ship pull back onto the berth, but I've seen late-comers being transferred from the pilot's boat and I strongly suspect that they were obliged to empty their wallets. Quite right too.

There'd be a financial advantage to the cruise line in a ship pulling back to its berth for folk on a late-returning ship-sponsored tour, but I doubt that happens because the tour leader would be in touch with the ship so, knowing that the tour group is just a few minutes away, it wouldn't pull away from the berth in the first place.

JB :)

I've not seen a ship pull back onto the berth, but I've seen late-comers being transferred from the pilot's boat and I strongly suspect that they were obliged to empty their wallets. Quite right too.

There'd be a financial advantage to the cruise line in a ship pulling back to its berth for folk on a late-returning ship-sponsored tour, but I doubt that happens because the tour leader would be in touch with the ship so, knowing that the tour group is just a few minutes away, it wouldn't pull away from the berth in the first place.

I understand that if the ship is Gone.. you are screwed. But I see videos where they have pulled back to the dock and allowed to board.. Do they get charged any fee for holding up 1000s of people and having the workers on the dock do extra work . Because these people can't tell time ?

The video you provided doesn't show the cruise ship (Carnival Glory) coming back to pick up the late passengers. It shows the ship leaving and those passengers getting a great view of their ship leaving. Now that's funny.:D

It seems less common nowadays, we always sail the Caribbean and the last few on Carnival. I can't remember the last time I saw pier runners. A couple of 'hurry up' moments from one person to another or a group of people.

Years ago we were leaving Aruba and I was surprised we didn't have any runners, just a lot of people who missed the boat completely. Seems to be common since ships often leave late at night.

Check the 2nd video.. I posted the wrong one the 1st time and can't get it removed

I said "I've not seen ......", not "it 's never happened ...."

And as others have posted, that was a for crew member, and the ship hadn't even cast off..

It was in the cruise line's interests to hold for him - it saved the cost of a postage stamp to send his dismissal notice. ;)

(he was probably an hour late, since crew normally have to be back on board an hour before sailing)

OK but does anyone know if the Passengers are charged a fee if the ship is held for time they wait for the late ones? not the ones on the " ship-sponsored tours " I see some of these videos where the ship has waited like 45 mins. or longer ..and you see the people come strolling along like on a nice walk :(

OK but does anyone know if the Passengers are charged a fee if the ship is held for time they wait for the late ones? not the ones on the " ship-sponsored tours " I see some of these videos where the ship has waited like 45 mins. or longer ..and you see the people come strolling along like on a nice walk :(

We returned 30 minutes after the all aboard time on our first trip on Carnival Pride and fortunately there wasn't a long walk to the ship from where the bus dropped us off but I, for one, would not be running to get onboard. It's not my fault that I'm late and I'm way too out of shape to run. Conceivably the cruise lines have the ability to recoup any fees incurred but I don't know whether they actually would or not.

I have never heard of a people being charged with holding up a ship. I have seen runners, in fact we watch for them every cruise. I have also seen people left behind. You can read their emotions as they point at the ship. I am sure asking the port workers to call it back

One cruise they held the ship and held the ship about and hour and a whole boat load of people got off a excursion boat and ran to ship.....we decided it was ship sponsored excursion because it honestly like 20 people. The ship left not 5 minutes after they boarded.

Now you're asking about the ship waiting vs the ship returning after it has left the pier. :confused: Does it really matter what the consequences are for those returning late. Unless...;p

We used to see a lot of people running to catch ships -- but rarely anymore. The ships continued on their way.

Even saw a female crew member miss a HAL ship in St Thomas. It was her first job. When we pulled into Ft Lauderdale 3 days later, we happen to be out on our verandah (we were staying on for another cruise) and her father was screaming at her as they left the ship with her luggage -- she was fired.

On the 2nd film, the crew member boarded, as if the Captain sails and leaves a crew member behind, the company is responsible for costs of sending to the next port. In this situation it is cheaper to bring them aboard.

With passengers, if you are on a ship's excursion the company is responsible for getting you to the next port. While it could in fact be cheaper to sail, as the additional fuel, longshoreman overtime, etc could cost more than hotels and flights, they would lose the biggest selling point for ship tours - the ship will wait.

However, if passengers are not on a ship's tour, the ship has no costs of getting them to the next port, so the Captain weighs customer service issues of leaving passengers ashore and may incur additional fuel costs by waiting some minutes.

When I worked as a Deck Officer on cruise ships, we received a number of runners after departure via the pilot boat or a private launch. They were required to climb up the pilot ladder to board. These days, I highly doubt any Ship Specific Manual would permit passengers to board the vessel by pilot ladder, so once the ship departs, you will not get aboard until the next port.

If the Captain delays departure, does the ship charge passengers for the additional expenses - No, not that I am aware of. The additional fuel costs can be many tens of thousands of dollars.

While I have returned alongside a few times, it was not to pick up pier runners, the reason was either a medical situation or somebody was found aboard. If pier runners were there, they got aboard, but they were not the primary reason for re-docking.

Have experienced a ship waiting past the designated departure time and then ultimately leaving without the delayed passengers (Puerto Rico).

Have experienced seeing passengers left behind at the pier, running and waving, as the ship pulled away (Bermuda).

Have experienced leaving the port and having delayed passengers being brought to the moving ship a mile or more from the port on a smaller boat (Cozumel).

Have experienced leaving passengers behind who were, as reported by the Captain, detained by the local authorities for attempting to purchase and bring drugs on board (Jamaica).

Have even experienced, after many ship pages and pier searching, leaving a crew member behind who was AWOL (Baltimore).

But have never experienced a ship going back to port to pick up delayed passengers.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

So while we're on this topic....most things I read say don't bring your passport into port; leave it in your safe. They say don't bring more cash or credit cards than you'll need (which is often none). So if you do get left behind, how do you get to the next port?

So while we're on this topic....most things I read say don't bring your passport into port; leave it in your safe. They say don't bring more cash or credit cards than you'll need (which is often none). So if you do get left behind, how do you get to the next port?

Always take a cc ashore.

It is generally accepted that cruise lines will open cabin safe(s) of anyone being left behind and if passports are found, will give them to the cruise line port agent (contact information always printed on the front page of daily bulletin).

If it is clear that you will miss the ship, all reputable cruise lines have a policy of opening your safe to retrieve your passport if it is in there. They will then turn it over to the line's port representative for the tardy passenger to pick up. This process has been reported here so many times that it is considered standard practice, regardless of what some people will claim. Cruise line personnel have reported the process on these forums, and ship officers have described the process during Q&A sessions presented for passengers to ask questions about operations, usually held in the main theater.

They will only look in the safe, and only for a passport. They will not search through your room for liability reasons. Two staff members, usually both security, will be in attendance. They never enter a room alone.

If you have a credit card, you will be able to charge any expenses to reach the next port. A credit card with a reasonable credit limit is recommended so you don't need to carry large sums of cash.

I ignore that advice.

My passport is within reach even when I'm at home. My job sometimes requires me to access areas that require more than 1 form of ID.

When I fly, I have my passport. When I travel overseas, I have my passport,,, unless, the governing authority requires that it be turned into them until my final departure.