working on a cruise ship

JMorris271

WORKING on a ship is NOTHING like a cruise....you are WORKING..hard....you don't eat the same food, or have the same perks! It's fine if you like to travel, and are content with basic wages and don't want to move up too fast.

Entertainers have a different contract than cabin attendants, waiters, etc...what are you thinking you'll be able to do?

Thanks for those links. My DD(21) just told us this week that she was seriously thinking of becoming a cruise ship dancer for a few contracts (or more if she likes it) after getting her eduction degree and when she is done dancing on sports team dance teams. She is currently a senior in a 5 year program at college so she has 2 years to go in college. She is also on a semi pro basketball dance team with hopes of making the pro basketball dance team her team is a feeder to upon her graduation while she does some substitute teaching. Her chances of doing just that are very high. She had been doing some research just this week on cruise ship dancer jobs so I am sure she will find these links very helpful and timely.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I love to watch the singers/dancers on the ships, and one thing I have noticed is that they all have classical dance training. And I'm sure some have been gymnasts. The Playlist players on Carnival have to sing, too. Things to work on for the next two years...EM

I love to watch the singers/dancers on the ships, and one thing I have noticed is that they all have classical dance training. And I'm sure some have been gymnasts. The Playlist players on Carnival have to sing, too. Things to work on for the next two years...EM

I talked to some dancers from FSU (Russia, Ukraine, Belarus).

Many of them even have ballet education.

All violinists, pianists etc have education from conservatories.

Cruise ships sail under the flag of registration. Only a very small number sail under the U.S. flag. That being said, most cruise line workers are not protected by our labor laws. Very few Americans are willing to work under their conditions.

Cruise ships sail under the flag of registration. Only a very small number sail under the U.S. flag. That being said, most cruise line workers are not protected by our labor laws. Very few Americans are willing to work under their conditions.

When you do see Americans working on a ship though, they are usually in the entertainment field.

When you do see Americans working on a ship though, they are usually in the entertainment field.
In kids clubs.

There are also other positions.

It's a good way to save money for people who otherwise working low end jobs and have to pay rent and other things

It's definitely not a job for someone looking to make money, unless you come from some "third world country"...

Even working at a fast-food counter on an hourly basis will pay you much more.

It can be an interesting experience for someone looking at it as just that, and only for a brief period. And depending on what position you get, you may not even get to "see the world", as getting ashore is very limited to most of the crew.

For American's, there are very few opportunites on cruise ships. Major cruise lines do almost all of their crew recruiting thru agencies in foreign countries....especially the deck and engine departments, as well as the hotel department. Even the spas's and shop's recruit abroad. It used to be that American's had a shot at jobs in the cruise director's activities staff, but I have noticed that recently, more and more of them are promoted from within the hotel department staff.

I have looked at some cruise websites, and it seems that they mostly recruit here for shore side position's, or occasionally IT tech jobs on ships.

The job you want is a headliner (main show) entertainer.

A friend and his wife did this for several years.

You get a passenger cabin. But can also go into crew spaces. You can eat with the passengers, or eat with the crew.

You are not stuck on one ship. Many times they would leave on one, do show, get off at the next port, get on a different ship (even different line), and do a show, then repeat. Sometimes they would fly to meet a cruise or fly home.

My understanding is that yes, you are not making much $ for the hours worked. But you are also getting your room and board paid for. Depending on your contract and situation back on land, you might be able to limit your home shore expenses substantially as well.

After saying all that, when I was younger (I'm 52) it would have not have been for me.

It's definitely not a job for someone looking to make money, unless you come from some "third world country"...

Even working at a fast-food counter on an hourly basis will pay you much more.

It can be an interesting experience for someone looking at it as just that, and only for a brief period. And depending on what position you get, you may not even get to "see the world", as getting ashore is very limited to most of the crew.

For American's, there are very few opportunites on cruise ships. Major cruise lines do almost all of their crew recruiting thru agencies in foreign countries....especially the deck and engine departments, as well as the hotel department. Even the spas's and shop's recruit abroad. It used to be that American's had a shot at jobs in the cruise director's activities staff, but I have noticed that recently, more and more of them are promoted from within the hotel department staff.

I have looked at some cruise websites, and it seems that they mostly recruit here for shore side position's, or occasionally IT tech jobs on ships.

When you pay over $1000 for rent, for medical insurance, for car and such I'm not sure how much is left if any from $9-15 per hour salary.

In kids clubs.

There are also other positions.

It's a good way to save money for people who otherwise working low end jobs and have to pay rent and other things

That is one of the reasons my DD is looking more into this as a viable option for a few years before she starts teaching. It would be a way for her to continue to dance (while she is young and healthy) which she loves. She can sail on a cruise ship and see the world (before getting tied down with a teaching job and family) which she loves. And she can save money (since her expenses should be really low)which she loves...unlike many her age she is a big saver. She will be graduating from college with no debt and money in the bank.

DH and I will be retired by then and would be able to sail on whatever ship she lands on to visit. Her DB has already moved 16 hours away 2 years ago so she is already used to just seeing him a few times a year. To her it is starting to look like a great opportunity to do many of the things she loves to do.

She already has the technical skills having danced since she was 3 and competed from 7-18 in jazz, tap, ballet, lyrical, hip hop,and musical theater at one of the top local studios winning many national championships. She currently has 3 years experience as a professional dancer on a semi pro dance team including doing promotional activities for the team. Finally she has experience as an Activities Director for a membership only campground for 4 summers. All of which would help her in this type of job.

I personally think she can do anything she sets her mind up to do. I’ve been watching her do it her whole life.

When you pay over $1000 for rent, for medical insurance, for car and such I'm not sure how much is left if any from $9-15 per hour salary.

But if you DON'T pay $1000 per month, and make $9 - $15 per hour instead of $20 - $25, you are still ahead. :D

That is one of the reasons my DD is looking more into this as a viable option for a few years before she starts teaching. It would be a way for her to continue to dance (while she is young and healthy) which she loves. She can sail on a cruise ship and see the world (before getting tied down with a teaching job and family) which she loves. And she can save money (since her expenses should be really low)which she loves...unlike many her age she is a big saver. She will be graduating from college with no debt and money in the bank.

DH and I will be retired by then and would be able to sail on whatever ship she lands on to visit. Her DB has already moved 16 hours away 2 years ago so she is already used to just seeing him a few times a year. To her it is starting to look like a great opportunity to do many of the things she loves to do.

She already has the technical skills having danced since she was 3 and competed from 7-18 in jazz, tap, ballet, lyrical, hip hop,and musical theater at one of the top local studios winning many national championships. She currently has 3 years experience as a professional dancer on a semi pro dance team including doing promotional activities for the team. Finally she has experience as an Activities Director for a membership only campground for 4 summers. All of which would help her in this type of job.

I personally think she can do anything she sets her mind up to do. I’ve been watching her do it her whole life.

Having actually worked aboard cruise ships and also had our son & DIL work onboard cruise ships, I can attest to the fact it is an excellent lifestyle for young, outgoing people.

While my experience is from the 70's & 80's as a Deck Officer, the lifestyle those days bears no resemblance to current times. Our son started as a cadet and very quickly reached Senior 2nd Officer. Our DIL was from UK and worked in the Spa, they met aboard one of the ships. We cruised with them extensively, so even as passengers were frequently invited to the crew areas.

My experience is entirely with Princess, but suspect most lines are generally similar. A friend's daughter followed up cruise ship dancing opportunities and if my memory is correct they hire from agencies. Princess used to create a team of singers and dancers, which reported to HQ for training to learn the routines. On completion of training (about 4 wks) they went aboard ship for a 6-month contract.

Regular dancers have a quasi-rank of P.O. which provides a better quality cabin than the hotel service crews, but unlike Officers they still share. For meals they can eat in the crew mess or buffet, note - officers/crew, except Watchkeeping Officers should avoid buffet during busy hours. The dancers Line Captain has a quasi-Officer rank and can eat in the Officer's Mess.

Unless they have an In-Port Manning (IPM) assignment the dancers normally can head ashore, so do get a fair bit of shore leave.

Below decks, they have a very active social life.

One of our neighbours completed a couple of contracts with HAL as a dancer, leaving after she married one of the Dutch Engineering Officers. She thoroughly enjoyed her life onboard. I note, a number of the dancers, shoppies, spa staff do marry officers, or other crew.

Therefore, having worked aboard cruise ships and being the parent of a cruise ship worker, I have no hesitation recommending this career option for a few years.

Unless you are the captain or a senior officer, why would you think you are going to get rich working on a cruise ship? You do it for the experience and opportunity to travel the world and make some money at the same time. Fun job for single young people but not if you want to spend time with your kids and family every night.

Having actually worked aboard cruise ships and also had our son & DIL work onboard cruise ships, I can attest to the fact it is an excellent lifestyle for young, outgoing people.

While my experience is from the 70's & 80's as a Deck Officer, the lifestyle those days bears no resemblance to current times. Our son started as a cadet and very quickly reached Senior 2nd Officer. Our DIL was from UK and worked in the Spa, they met aboard one of the ships. We cruised with them extensively, so even as passengers were frequently invited to the crew areas.

My experience is entirely with Princess, but suspect most lines are generally similar. A friend's daughter followed up cruise ship dancing opportunities and if my memory is correct they hire from agencies. Princess used to create a team of singers and dancers, which reported to HQ for training to learn the routines. On completion of training (about 4 wks) they went aboard ship for a 6-month contract.

Regular dancers have a quasi-rank of P.O. which provides a better quality cabin than the hotel service crews, but unlike Officers they still share. For meals they can eat in the crew mess or buffet, note - officers/crew, except Watchkeeping Officers should avoid buffet during busy hours. The dancers Line Captain has a quasi-Officer rank and can eat in the Officer's Mess.

Unless they have an In-Port Manning (IPM) assignment the dancers normally can head ashore, so do get a fair bit of shore leave.

Below decks, they have a very active social life.

One of our neighbours completed a couple of contracts with HAL as a dancer, leaving after she married one of the Dutch Engineering Officers. She thoroughly enjoyed her life onboard. I note, a number of the dancers, shoppies, spa staff do marry officers, or other crew.

Therefore, having worked aboard cruise ships and being the parent of a cruise ship worker, I have no hesitation recommending this career option for a few years.

Thanks for all the helpful info. I will pass it along to DD.

Thanks for all the helpful info. I will pass it along to DD.

I will say that things have changed a bit from Heidi's time, from my experience passengers, even relations are not allowed in the crew's areas, and crew time in passenger areas is limited.

Personally -- if I were young -- working on a cruise ship -- in any capacity would not be for me. Even though they have a tiny cabin that they share and get free meals, the pay is low and you work long hours.

Additionally, time ashore is seriously limited - so the imagined benefit of “seeing the world” should not weigh too heavily. The “glamour” of working on a cruise ship (excepting of course maritime professionals) is imagined to be much greater than the reality — as is the notion of living aboard a cruise ship in retirement. When really thought about, many such notions evaporate in the light of day.

But if you DON'T pay $1000 per month, and make $9 - $15 per hour instead of $20 - $25, you are still ahead. :D

Most of the crew on board, have families to support 'back home', and except for your food, their expenses go on. Even single crew have to have 'some place' to live...they are not going to search for a new place at the end of every contract. I suppose if they are still living with their parents, that would be the exception.

As for the entertainer staff....that is very nice, but not many of us are gifted with the natural talent required to attain those position's...

Further, I have seen them hard at work rehearsing on port days. Perhaps the best job to get off the ship, would be as a tour guide on shore excursion's, but even most of those are done by local's living in the ports. The shorex staff just guide them to the tours...

I will say that things have changed a bit from Heidi's time, from my experience passengers, even relations are not allowed in the crew's areas, and crew time in passenger areas is limited.

Indeed! I have seen signs posted, warning that crew member's taking passenger's into crew only area's, are subject to dismissal...

It's been about 5 years since our son left cruise ships for mega yachts, but when aboard we had lunch with him in the Officer's Mess every day the ship wasn't on Red. When no pax cabins were available, we have also been assigned a cabin in crew areas - officer level or shore employee cabins. Always on or above Deck 4 (Upper most continuous deck).

However, I had also sailed with some of the Captains when we were cadets or 3/Officers. May have received some perks not available to other relatives.

With respect to signs for passengers in crew areas, when cruising on a ship with our son, using the relative benefit, we were not classed as passengers and if not in a pax cabin received a very basic crew emergency duties card.

Edited by Heidi13