Tips on shore excursions sponsored by cruise lines

cruisincuzz

This is probably going to seem like a stupid question, but we have never gone on a shore excursion sponsored by a cruise line before. I know tips for guides are expected when you book your own excursion, but are line-sponsored excursions the same? Just wondering if the cruise lines might build tips into the cost, like they do with drink packages.

This is probably going to seem like a stupid question, but we have never gone on a shore excursion sponsored by a cruise line before. I know tips for guides are expected when you book your own excursion, but are line-sponsored excursions the same? Just wondering if the cruise lines might build tips into the cost, like they do with drink packages.

Cruise lines only arrange the excursions. The cost is how much the excursion costs (with profit built it for the cruise line as well as the tour operator).

Tips are always extra, whether it's a ship's tour or a private one.

Makes no difference whether it's private or ship-sponsored.

But most ship-sponsored tours are in large groups of up to about 40 depending on the port (some places the road network can't handle large buses) whereas private tours are often smaller groups.

Group size affects how personal the service and the number of tippers so your tip is likely to be smaller for large groups.

In places like the Caribbean I generally figure that a perfectly-acceptable guide is worth a total of around $40 for a full day.

So dividing that by the number in the group gives me a base figure per person.

The level that I tip also depends on the quality of the tour and the guide, and being a Brit I'll tip zilch if it's poor.

That's what I do. Doesn't mean that's what you should do, and others have different opinions.

JB :)

The cruise line excursions do not build in tips. Depending on the number of people on the excursion and the quality I may tip a bit less on a cruise line excursion than private. Very often the cruise line excursions are much more crowded without much more staff. For example we booked an ATV tour in st Martin independently. The company also ran the cruise lines version of the excursion and they had us begin with that tour (roughly 40 ATVs). At the first stop we peeled off with a different guide and group for the rest of the day (5 ATVs). So we ended up tipping more than we would have if we had been in that 40 person group all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's totally up to you and your experience, whether you give a tip. On some, the excursion is merely transportation...and since that's what you paid for, a tip is unneeded, If you have a guide that enhances your trip, and you want to tip, that's fine and will be accepted.

If a guide reminds you to tip over and over and over, they begin to annoy, and the tip (if any) is lessened.