Alaska Southbound on the NCL Sun - August 2017 Trip Report!

tatibus0913

Great review! Thanks for posting all of the menu and food pics - yum. You also gave me a few ideas about excursions that I am looking into. Thanks again! Oh- and I totally know what you mean about receiving the disembarkation instructions on the last day - so depressing!

Thanks for reading! Posting all of the food pictures made me so hungry while I was putting this together :')

We loved all of the excursions we did, so let me know if you have any specific questions about them!

Really enjoyed your review! Looking forward to seeing your city next month! :) (Did you do a trip report for your Bermuda cruise?)

Thanks for reading!!

No trip report for Bermuda, I only started really using Cruise Critic when we were planning for Alaska.

Our cruise to Bermuda was our first ever cruise and we absolutely loved it! The Dawn is a great ship, and the entertainment was amazing. And Bermuda is just gorgeous. We did a couple of excursions - one was in caves, another was a helmet dive and we also went jet skiing. All of them were really cool!

I think Boston is a great city, but I'm pretty biased ;p The fall is a great time to visit though, and hopefully you have a little bit of extra time to check Boston out.

Thanks for the review. We sail on the Sun in November so I was interested in the ship & crew.

Thanks for reading :)

The crew was fantastic! And the ship is older and felt a little narrow (not sure if that's by design or just size) but it's well maintained. Our two favorite places were the Observation Lounge up top, and the Champagne bar.

I hope you have a great trip!

Thanks for reading!!

No trip report for Bermuda, I only started really using Cruise Critic when we were planning for Alaska.

Our cruise to Bermuda was our first ever cruise and we absolutely loved it! The Dawn is a great ship, and the entertainment was amazing. And Bermuda is just gorgeous. We did a couple of excursions - one was in caves, another was a helmet dive and we also went jet skiing. All of them were really cool!

I think Boston is a great city, but I'm pretty biased ;p The fall is a great time to visit though, and hopefully you have a little bit of extra time to check Boston out.

Yes we are getting there the day before and my brother-in-law lives in Somerville so we are staying with him Friday-Sunday after the cruise. We are really excited!

Thanks for the review. We did the reverse cruise, from Vancouver to Anchorage a few years ago. Next month we are on the Dawn from Quebec City to Boston. Can't wait!!!

Thanks for reading! The Dawn is a great ship! Fall in New England and Canada is gorgeous - and of course Boston is the best :p

I have never had a desire to take a cruise to Alaska prior to your review. Now I can't wait to book one! Great review. I love all the details and photos (especially of the food). Thank you for taking the time to do your review!

You're welcome, it was fun reminiscing as I wrote it :D

For a long time, I thought that the people who visited Alaska just went on bus tours and cruises to look at the scenery :') Obviously, there's nothing wrong with that, but it wasn't something that appealed to me. Once I started really looking into going though, I realized that there were so many unique things to do!

great review!!!! I was wondering if you could give us some of what you packed. Or some tips of where your got your packing ideas

Thanks so much for reading!

Packing was hard! I packed a waterproof rain jacket, and two fleeces that were neutral enough to wear with anything. For excursions, I wore jeans or hiking pants, depending on what we were doing for the day. I had waterproof hiking boots that were great. I also had sneakers. On the cruise ship, I wores dresses or leggings with tops. I planned for layers but we were really lucky with the weather in that it was sunny most of the time.

It helped me to plan what I was wearing day by day and make a packing list. There's also tons of advice on the Alaska section of cruise critic. I also used google and Pinterest :D

Adding my thanks for your review. Already very helpful towards my planning. Great pictures. Love your smiles! The Comfort Inn looks like a good option for our plans. I'm also a big fan of trying local craft beers so appreciate the Brewhouse info.

:)

Thanks for reading :D The Comfort Inn worked really well for us. It had a good location, and fit within our budget. The walk to downtown was a bit uphill but only took 10-15 minutes.

I love craft beers! Glacier Brewhouse was great. One of our tour guides also recommended 49th State Brewery in Anchorage, and I believe they have rooftop seating. We didn't make it there but it is another option.