Mitsugirly's extensive back to belly sun & sky review

mitsugirly

mitsugirly,

thank YOU very much for your detailed info on blue kay!!

my family and I had a great time with smooth accommodation .. all thanks to your extensive info and guidance, keep up the good work!

just like what you suggested, we took a taxi (instead of the trolly) and only paid $2 per person.

blue kay only charged $5 pp that includes 1 drink and wifi access (rather slow).

lunch menu is all in US$ now. burito $12. they pushed for "fish of the day" dish.. priced by the pound, it's $21/lb ... we skipped that.

and massage is $40/hr at blue kay but $30/hr at the aqua sport ... it's a standalone open massage area with 3 min walk.

very nice choice for day stop at reasonably priced logistic ... THANK TO mitsugirly !! :)

Beautiful pictures and so glad you had a great day there. The hammocks must be a new addition there. I don't think they were there when we were there last. I just love this place. :)

• 1 month later...
My final thoughts of visiting Passion Island:

The positives:

It was a beautiful place.

The sand was powdery soft and the landscape was spectacular.

The food was good, even though it wasn't an authentic "Mexican" meal like I like. I did get hooked on their salsa and chips...once again, I don't like tomatoes but could eat this salsa all day. I actually told the hubby when we were there that if I had this salsa every day it still wouldn't be too much for me. :p

There were plenty of seats...there just might not be the seats you want if you are not the first to arrive (the beds if you want to relax). But you definitely had your choice of tables to pick from and plenty of the S chairs out by the water.

The childrens play area and the nanny were a nice extra added touch, which in our case...was really appreciated that day. Otherwise, I'm really not sure what Sakari would have done for the rest of the day. She's like me and always has to be doing something and can't just sit still.

It's a fairly short ride over to the island.

All you can eat and drink included in the price!!! What more can I say? I love these type of excursions.

A wonderful staff and very helpful (especially when Sakari was hurt they went out of their way to help her and comfort her).

Always making sure that you had plenty to drink and filling you up before you were even done with the last. The service was EXCELLENT and VERY FAST!!!

The bathrooms were nice and loved the way they were decorated. They had someone cleaning them and restocking them constantly.

The negatives:

There just isn't enough time spent here. It's such a short day...especially for the price. I can never understand why they make you go back so early on any of the ship sponsored excursions.

The water being turned up and sea weed all over down by the water. (Of course no fault of Passion Island or the excursion itself). It just happened to be the day we were there maybe?

Getting stung by the fire coral. Again, could happen anywhere and probably due to the water conditions.

Only having 1 set of restrooms located a bit of a walk depending on where you decided to sit at.

Having everyone walk so far from the boat dock when the area around there was so beautiful.

The very rude and pushy photographers at the beginning of the island.

The lagoon area was just ugly and of course couldn't be used.

The whole "speech" at the beginning. I mean come on, there's really no need to tie up our very limited time on the island by a long drawn out speech. Welcome us, point in the direction of the restrooms, tell us what time to be back on the boat. End of convo. It's not that hard!

-------------------------------------------

So would I go here again? Nope, I sure wouldn't (but I knew this coming here). I just wanted to experience the place and put a ✔ next to my list of things done in Cozumel. Of course I also wanted to tell everyone that I had been to the Corona commercial island too. :D It was beautiful, but just not my "paradise" that I'm searching for. Chankanaab still remains my favorite place out of every place that I have been to in Cozumel so far (Chankanaab, Playa Mia, Mr Sanchos, Nachi Cocom, and now Passion Island).

A "Did you know" fact about Passion Island. We were also informed that Passion Island is in fact NOT a part of Cozumel or considered Cozumel. So I can say that we went to Cozumel AND another place while here...does this mean we visited 5 places on this cruise? :D

I was 15 minutes too soon. Thank you. Unless something has changed I found my response to my earlier question about Chankanaab being your favorite. Yes, Passion Island was our first place in 2008. Wwwwhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy too short.

• 1 month later...
Kim, if you write a report on you Universal trip, I would love to read it so let us know...and where.

LOL, we just returned yesterday (had a blast) and Sakari was just amazed! (After all, she waited for YEARS for this day to visit Jurassic Park). I'm honestly not sure where I would write a report on it (since this is a cruising forum and not appropriate here). I'm not really involved in any other "vacation" forums.

LOL, we just returned yesterday (had a blast) and Sakari was just amazed! (After all, she waited for YEARS for this day to visit Jurassic Park). I'm honestly not sure where I would write a report on it (since this is a cruising forum and not appropriate here). I'm not really involved in any other "vacation" forums.

Florida Ports of Call forum? I know some of the cruise lines offer Disney or Universal excursions... :-)

Passporters is a good site and they have a Universal forum.

Florida Ports of Call forum? I know some of the cruise lines offer Disney or Universal excursions... :-)

or this! That would be perfect

I am going down Feb. 25 and can't wait!

• 2 months later...

I found this review back when it was new, and we were cruising for the first time on Norwegian, on the NCL Sky. I read the part about the Sky, and have followed your reviews ever since. Btw, we had a great cruise on the Sky.

We are heading to Alaska on the Sun, and I was looking for photos and remembered this review. I just finished reading the Sun part. I know it has been rehabbed since you were on it, but I enjoyed your review thoroughly.

Thank you for always doing these reviews. I'm glad you found Carnival, they have come a long way and are a great cruise line. The Magic is probably my favorite.

Wondering what cruises are in your future? Our next cruise is the NCL Escape.

I found this review back when it was new, and we were cruising for the first time on Norwegian, on the NCL Sky. I read the part about the Sky, and have followed your reviews ever since. Btw, we had a great cruise on the Sky.

We are heading to Alaska on the Sun, and I was looking for photos and remembered this review. I just finished reading the Sun part. I know it has been rehabbed since you were on it, but I enjoyed your review thoroughly.

Thank you for always doing these reviews. I'm glad you found Carnival, they have come a long way and are a great cruise line. The Magic is probably my favorite.

Wondering what cruises are in your future? Our next cruise is the NCL Escape.

Thanks for the comments. I would LOVE to go to Alaska on the Sun. I really liked that ship! I bet the rehab is amazing on it.

Yes, I'm so glad I found Carnival to be a great experience too. I have always wanted to go on the Magic, but managed to do the Dream and Breeze so far. Some day Magic is in my future...just gotta find her heading to the right destination for us!

My upcoming cruise is on Carnival as well. We will be heading to 3 new ports (Aruba, Curacao, and La Romana) and also Grand Turk again. We will be on the Conquest. :D

Hello. Which ship are you going on next? Already getting excited for your next review!:D

My upcoming cruise is on Carnival. We will be heading to 3 new ports (Aruba, Curacao, and La Romana) and also Grand Turk again. We will be on the Conquest. clear.png?emoji-grin-1677

• 7 months later...
Obviously by the crystal clear blue water, there's plenty of sand in the area too.

PB130121%20copy-L.jpg

A rainbow wrasse

PB130122%20copy-L.jpg

Several groups on surgeon fish were in the area.

PB130125%20copy-L.jpg

PB130131%20copy-L.jpg

Sakari discovered that she had a few friends following her around. They went everywhere she went and wouldn't leave her alone.

PB130126%20copy-L.jpg

Everywhere she swam, they swam. Everywhere she stood, they were right there surrounding her feet starring at her. It was funny to watch and she was fascinated by them. Anyone know what type of fish they are?

PB130134%20copy-L.jpg

OMG! THANKS SO MUCH FOR POSTING & SHARING ALL THIS ABOUT BLUE KAY!! The pics are awesome! What under camera did you use? We're leaving this Sunday, was looking for a place just like this, to hit in Costa Maya... glad I also kept researching... do you happen to remember how much the massages were? THANKS AGAIN!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm sure that this has been asked somewhere in here but can you tell me what kind of camera that you have for the underwater photos? I really don't know much about photography (point and shoot girl) but I use to have a bag that my husband would put our camera in and it eventually leaked and ruined the camera. I would like to get something that is meant to be used in the water.

Thanks!

I'm sure that this has been asked somewhere in here but can you tell me what kind of camera that you have for the underwater photos? I really don't know much about photography (point and shoot girl) but I use to have a bag that my husband would put our camera in and it eventually leaked and ruined the camera. I would like to get something that is meant to be used in the water.

Thanks!

Well, you are in luck because the camera's I use now are point & shoot. I stopped bringing my DSLR years ago because I hated lugging all the equipment around.

I now use Olympus Tough cameras. I have a 620, 830 and my newest and favorite now is the TG 4. It's amazing and does even more than the others do. :)

AMAZING UNDERWATER PICS! When you say "I now use Olympus Tough cameras. I have a 620, 830..." was this the camera you used when taking these pictures? Because it sounds like you were using a different one when speaking in the past/present tense... I'm sure these newer models cost more than the one you used previously and I"M GOOD with getting an older version if it takes such great pictures like that... as a matter a fact, if you're looking to sell your older model, please contact me! THANKS

Well, you are in luck because the camera's I use now are point & shoot. I stopped bringing my DSLR years ago because I hated lugging all the equipment around.

I now use Olympus Tough cameras. I have a 620, 830 and my newest and favorite now is the TG 4. It's amazing and does even more than the others do. :)

Thank you! Is there anything special to be done, cleaning wise, with them once you are out of the water?

AMAZING UNDERWATER PICS! When you say "I now use Olympus Tough cameras. I have a 620, 830..." was this the camera you used when taking these pictures? Because it sounds like you were using a different one when speaking in the past/present tense... I'm sure these newer models cost more than the one you used previously and I"M GOOD with getting an older version if it takes such great pictures like that... as a matter a fact, if you're looking to sell your older model, please contact me! THANKS

When I said "I now use" meaning that I have switched from another brand than what my earlier reviews used (I did use Canon D10's in some of my earlier reviews), but didn't mention those because you asked me about this review. I mentioned the 620 an 830 because it was one of them for this particular review (I don't recall exactly when I upgraded from the 620 to the 830). But, it doesn't matter either way...they are basically the same camera and do the same thing. I only mentioned the TG 4 because if you can get that style...GET IT! You'll be glad (actually I think they are making a TG 5 now so the TG 4, if you can find them...like on Amazon or ebay, they should be cheaper). :D

I hope that helps clarify. I didn't mean to confuse you (just didn't know how long you might have been reading my reviews over the years and just wanted to say I no longer use the Canon D10's. :D

Ok, I went back and searched this review and HERE <----click, is what I said about the cameras I used for this particular review. :D

Thank you! Is there anything special to be done, cleaning wise, with them once you are out of the water?

Yes, I always go back and soak them in regular water in the sink to get all the salt off. Beware, every once in awhile you can get a small sand particle in the buttons and things won't work and you could freak out like I have in the past...only to find that sand is stuck under a button and causing it to not move. So, now I fill the sink up with water, put them in there and move the buttons around to get everything out...just in case. ;)

Yes, I always go back and soak them in regular water in the sink to get all the salt off. Beware, every once in awhile you can get a small sand particle in the buttons and things won't work and you could freak out like I have in the past...only to find that sand is stuck under a button and causing it to not move. So, now I fill the sink up with water, put them in there and move the buttons around to get everything out...just in case. ;)

Thank you!

• Like 1