Eastern Mediterranean on Spirit

tmt3698

I may be doing this backward but I flew into Rome two days early to sight see. I have a money belt and wore it there. I arrived at the airport and from watching You Tube videos found the Leonardo Express train and rode into Rome arrived at Termini in 30 mins. My hotel was within walking distance.

I took a carry on suitcase and a carry bag that sat on top of that. Looking back even that much luggage made my arm hurt pulling it. I stayed at Exe Domus Via Volturno 34, it was a pretty nice place it has a lift and a very good breakfast buffet.

The first two nights I was in room 201, this was a nice quiet room. The shower was small but good water pressure. The sheets and pillows were not great. The sheets were like sand paper and the pillows hard as rocks. But the wifi was good and I booked directly with the hotel they give you free water and a late check out. They also will give you a kettle for tea or coffee if you ask for it.

The first day I was able to check in early which was very nice. I headed out to the Vatican, I booked all my tickets online before I left. I bought a 48 hour Roma pass for the subway and buses for 12.50 euros. But only took the subway once and a bus once. Rome is really a walking city, all the main sites are deep into Rome. Got to the Vatican and with my receipt in hand walked right up and showed the guard my receipt and walked right in. Thought I had the Rick Steve's audio guide downloaded but didn't so I had to wing it through the Vatican but that's ok the Vatican is just 9 miles of museums. If you've been to any major art museum in any big city that is what this is just huge. I had listened to Rick Steve's before I left so I had a vauge idea of what some of the big things were. Once I had enough of that I headed toward the Sistine Chapel, you go down lots of stairs to get there and it was amazing. I also listened to Rick Steve's guide about this and had his book too. Everyone has their phones out even though the gaurd tells you not to have them out everyone talks although he yells......Silence, no video no phones Please!

Here are statues and paintings from the Vatican

enhance

enhance

Amazing the details and emotion in his face

enhance

enhance

After this I walked over to Arlu Restaraunt very charming place, ate inside had pasta that was barely even cooked not even al dente. I paid with my credit card but they wouldn't let me add the tip. So I gave her a 20 euro and asked for change. She gave me 15 euros back 10 in a bill and five in coins one of which was a pound from the UK! Oh well and I guess she gave herself a 5 euro tip! I walked out of there and thought I should count that change but didn't. Got the gelato place and pulled out the coins and one was a pound. Walked aimlessly around at this point and somehow found Campo di Fioro they were just starting to take the daily market down but all the flowers were still out it was lovely. Then stumbled upon Piazza Navona! There are 3 fountains here. I had list of fountains I had to find so three in one shot. This place was amazing, large square with out door cafes, singers. Everything Italian.

Edited by tmt3698

Wonderful trip report! Thank you for posting such detailed information and gorgeous pictures. Some of the places bring back great memories and you are making me want to book another Med. cruise on the Spirit to see some of the places you went to that we haven't been to! Thanks again!

I did the guarantee cabin, this was the first time. I was happy with deck 11. My cabin did vibrate since it was aft(back)

But it really didn't bother me. I'm pretty easy going and not going to complain about things that are out of my control.

I always travel with ear plugs.

But if your prone to sea sickness I think mid ship is better.

Thanks for the info on the seas - it helps! I was thinking of changing to a guarantee room; we are going to keep the room we have now :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank all of you for reading my review, when I'm planning my vacations I always read as many reviews as possible.

Second day in Rome......had a reservation at the Colosseum for the underground tour that I booked on their official website for about 26 euros that is the entrance fee and the guided underground tour. I think I just walked all the way there from my hotel. Again just walked up showed the guard my printed receipt and I walked right in(a little bit of a line here but not bad) Found the spot for the guided tour, we headed out onto the floor of the Colosseum, again I had listened to the Rick Steve's tour so I kind of listened to this guide but she seemed new. Really wanted to get the underground portion, we finally walked down the steps to the underground portion where they kept the animals and slaves. It was pretty cool not sure what I was expecting. We went back up stairs and continued to follow her around at this point I wanted to ditch her and do my own thing. Walked around a little bit more on my own then left. Headed to the Roman Forum, I did have my Rick Steve's audio guide for this place but entered on Palatine Hill not knowing where I was but after some walking walk back and forth and looking at the pictures of Rick's audio tour on my iphone I finally was able to listen to him and be in front of what he was talking about. The Roman Forum is super cool, you really want to check this place out. Lots of large ruins still there you can really imagine a day in the life of a Roman.

This is like a field with dirt paths, your going to get dirty closed toe shoes would be best. I saw folks there with sandals what a mess. Lots of dirt and dust. There are bathrooms there but I couldn't seem to find them.

Left there and started walking aimlessly again when I say aimlessly all I had was the free map my hotel gave me which wasn't very helpful. On my third day there a gal on the cruise showed me how to download Google Maps and "pin" or save the places you wanted to go. OMG I should have done that from day one what a time saver! Anyway ended up near Campo di Fiori again at Trattoria Della Torree, ate outside as the sun set. Now this pasta was too soft! But the brushetta was delicioius and the waiter was very good. Walked toward Fountain Trevi, found the Pantheon first but it was closed, found it twice my first two days both times it was closed.

Walked and walked and walked and finally found Fountian Trevi. Then at night walked back to my hotel thought about getting a cab but kept pressing on. Finally found the hotel after walking from 10am to 7pm.

Arlu Restaraunt near the Vatican, very pretty inside. First day in Rome ate hereenhance

Second day at here: Trattoria Della Torree ate outside facing the square

enhance

Me in front of the Colosseum

enhance

enhance

Underground section of the Colosseumenhance

Roman Forum

enhance

Getting off the ship was a breeze I just carried my two bags and walked off. I had organized another shared shuttle with Civitavecchia Shuttle Express, used them three times they were on time(actually few minutes early) each time.

We all headed back to Rome, I stayed at the same hotel Exe Domus this time I was not able to check in early so I put my luggage in the locked closet. This day I had booked a reservation at the Borghese Villa I think I was more excited about this place than the Vatican, after seeing the Vatican.

Headed out again this day from my hotel walking but not as aimlessly now I have Google maps. It's very helpful but uses a lot of battery life. My phone was out of battery life half way through the day. As I'm walking I see the Hop On & Off but I thought maybe I should do that I'm so tired of walking all over this town. So I broke down and bought the ticket for 23 euros(one day) found the nearest stop, wanted to make it the Pantheon then over to my reservation at the Borghese the Borghese only lets 300 people in at one time and you must have a reservation my reservation was also for the guided tour. Found the nearest H&O stop the first bus was full so I had to wait another 10 minutes, so a total of 20 mins. waiting the bus finally came took it and got off near the Pantheon, Wow glad I went back the third time this place was amazing. I had my Rick Steve's guide book in my day bag and read that and looked around. Left there and thought it would be quicker to just walk all the way to Borghese....OMG I was 10 minutes late for reservation then they wouldn't let me take in my day bag I had to walk back down stairs and check my bag at this point I was about to loose it but luckily the guide and group were right inside the door and was able to join them. This place is a must see, unbelievable! Bernini carved all these statues from marble and they are incredible. Went on the tour, followed and listened everyone had their cell phones in my panic attack I checked my whole bag and didn't take out my phone. So toward the end of the tour I ditched them went back downstairs and got my phone out of my bag and went back upstairs and got some great shots. Left there and now it had started to rain. I walked toward the nearest H&O stop and found Bar Gran Caffee stopped here and had pizza and tiramisu. I ate outside they had the heaters out there and it was nice and toasty. The pizza was prettty good the tiramisu was very good. Finally broke down and bought an umbrella from one of those street hawkers. It was raining now and I walked over to the nearest H&O bus it was about 5pm and starting to get dark. We were very near Termini and my hotel but I thought I paid 23 euros for this I'm getting my money's worth so I sat up top(open air but this bus did have a cover) it was cold and I was using my umbrella to sheild the rain when it was blowing in, the whole loop was about an hour and half. Pretty cool seeing Rome light up at night. Once the bus did the full loop I got off and walked toward my hotel but had to stop in the bakery for a few goodies first.

This time at the hotel my room number was 302, facing the busy street with a loud neighbor. They were talking all night finally at 12am I called down the the lobby he said he would call them and tell them to be quiet. Now I'm trying to decide how to get back to the airport, I was thinking about taking the Leonardo Express train again but decided I had enough pulling my luggage and walking plus a lady on the cruise said some other lady on our cruise was mugged at Termini by gypsies they surrounded her and she had $500 in her purse they stole. So I called Civitavecchia Shuttle and ordered a car for the next morning they were early again but took me right to the airport and off I went. I had a great time, I liked Rome probably would be better if I was not in such a hurry to see as much as possible in three days. It's very crowded there, lots of people, lots of cars, sirens, street hawkers. It's just a lot. The third day I had really had it so I decided to be like the locals and just plowed through the crowds! No more nice guy. You can tell who the locals are, they are all dressed in black, don't smile, plow through the crowds(possibly pushing a baby stroller or walking a dog) all the while puffing on a cigarette.

Bella Roma!!

Pantheon

enhance

Pantheon

enhance

Trevi Fountain

enhance

Borghese Villa: Kidnapping of Persephone.......spectacular work of art!

enhance

Bernini's David..........also spectacular!

enhance

enhance

Edited by tmt3698

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the review. I loved Oia when I was there. I'd be interested in more of your thoughts about Spirit herself. I'll be sailing on her in April and she's by far the smallest ship I'll have been on. I'm a bit worried she'll be claustrophobic. The dining options look very small.

Thanks in advance, and look forward to more pictures.

I was on this same cruise as the OP. My second time on the Spirit. I've spend a total of 24 days on this ship and I love it. The bar staff and staff in general are awesome. The ship is small enough that you don't get lost and can get from one end to the other very easily. Very cozy ship. I like the way it is laid out. Rooms are a bit dated but I think they are going to be updating them in the near future. They just did an update to the public areas earlier in 2017.

No worry of claustrophobia at all. LOL

What I love the most about this ship is how many great sight lines you get both front and back. The back of this ship is highly under utilized by passengers. You can eat every meal out in the open with fantastic views. I eat every breakfast out there on one of the levels that jut out. It's right outside the door of the main buffet. The bar is right there too so you can sit and watch the ocean go by while drinking your favorite beverage with little to no crowds. I am always bafffled why more people don't hang out there. Sure, it can be chilly depending on the time of the year....but the VIEWS!!

Edited by Vick Vega