Just back from Solstice 7/28 Alaska - Photos (drone and otherwise)

jsea

Hi, all-

We just returned from the 7/28/17 Alaska sailing of Solstice, round trip from Seattle with stops in Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and Victoria. It was a fantastic cruise overall and we thought Celebrity maintained its high standards nearly across the board.

I took the drone out in Skagway to capture a few photos of the vessel that might be of interest to some. Over the coming days I will be adding more to Instagram from the trip in general and also from the drone expedition.

If anyone has any questions about the cruise, I would be more than happy to attempt to answer.

https://www.instagram.com/tsfphotography/

Thank you Jsea, for the cool photos with the drone. We will be on Solstice the middle of September for our cruise to Hawaii sailing from Vancouver.

We are so looking forward to it, it's our first time on Celebrity.

Cool photos jsea!

Looking forward to more and anything you might have to say about the cruise.

To expand a little, boarding and embarkation went smoothly, food was excellent, and really our only complaint was with service at Luminae. We usually sail in Aqua Class, primarily because we enjoy the smaller dining venue of Blu, and assumed Luminae would be a step up. It was actually the opposite. Luminae service was spotty and felt disorganized. The staff didn't seem to have the same passion for good service as they do in Blu. We tried Blu on the second-to-last day and we were, as we had been in the past, very impressed. The staff there was phenomenal. Service at all other dining venues, like Silk Harvest, Tuscan, and Murano was also fantastic.

The ship was well maintained despite her "age" (I know she is not that old and I know this is often a topic of contention, but I am partial to new vessels for many reasons, including better condition of soft and hard furnishings, the latest technology, etc.).

The fitness center was often packed in the mornings which could make working out a challenge. We hadn't done an Alaska itinerary in years and obviously they cater to younger, perhaps more exercise-minded passengers. We had to leave Persian Garden twice without time on the heated tile chairs due to being full. Not a big deal, but it did make the $99 paid for unlimited access less of a value.

The internet speed onboard was the fastest I have ever had at sea.

Captain Tasos was great, as everyone knows.

Our room steward and butler were attentive and thorough. They really shined.

Sylvia, the Michael's Club concierge, went above and beyond and got us on a sold out helicopter / dog sledding excursion at the last moment. She has a passion for her job and does it with a smile, working tirelessly to make the experiences better of the passengers to which she tends.

Sky Lounge was often closed for private events which was a little bit of a disappointment given the scenery-heavy nature of this itinerary. That said, it was open during our time in Dawes Glacier.

The entertainment was pretty standard for a large ship and what we would expect. We are not the show types, so I don't feel like I can give a good review of what was presented.

Our favorite space on Solstice Class ships is the Lawn Club. It is quite relaxing to sit out on the lawn with a drink watching the world go by. Thankfully this space is also well maintained, like the rest of the vessel.

All-in-all, a great trip, and a great experience provided by Celebrity.

7ZWEzCZgd6VLQ4z99V7HIwBRAwCK_lpy12yTOZ4zOelsDDiz1_Pr1Vv3EDQsbRSj3q4P2NAgHTr0C2Aeit_ZkrSPRBhJLK84Mw60hnX3gzhY9Pfj7TTvNInlE4OmG_UCStGweyxkapU6Tr92OFQkM5dWLIBiJIUNJYWhNiiqj0KNbaf7qIrAkHWFxGjmzjEHiowbzqKnDK2d54JOtwcDU4UmW_DdUUA4Xo-SjI2Xi-MUwInVinzpU-MBDWGCGUYD_2eUY17YWe_0NV-d5Eb4jx3o7ymZSc2bxPWDOjl9IXoL8FMNiY-vrHMPUzcXAMZhZmVQlzhNNtbdurAmRjCGGBTsayDxjl_c8XJTTWR_hdKn0kYwvP4MpChSRWVhs0CAM21_mOrr2k2xD2ae4Tz6Ii9jez0XAYSbJVfKNXOLa5JgT-mEUxXxxeD3lv3s3r4qjiXdkBOumWWa_1xJBAPFbZ5v_TwHgvZn9T2ZUhF0LJUUJwrWMGOLky5GGiUMuzZsUBumkvXEaMYu92TasEK3p56eb9y_7_d4pbn2frq_RWUAEKHTqDd6x3CT8rE_5Yu8-qeR4JOAtRiCWzxl_V2FwastIPnCFfYe2jVtVYSkDttTUNBsntXoEkxmqXKOylYtTsSmRQVv9dyd9qnzi2D3s42psCgKTM7jnoYsZT9EXQgN1Q=w1848-h1386-no

1lPy3c417HyOyeUnmNpoJLten1z_i6QP-FbuBYAY4jx7I2BZcJAEtolyLFezEADqW-wuONAqydv5lxjyqt3imk0atHUDfQmkoB2fdZkMXexo1kiuzN0Pv3P-D2ZvpM4ygnuOiLOCptlWWlG1VJihxqvoM_ed4Lstl4Q3aRtkRxwJ5-Sp9JArPef9UPLae5CFWLywLp3-rHgEM8Xc_8NgxSeR4ewUY-WDv9B9yFD0uhNGCWhx0TCAiZ17YutkwcG6c7Puh-bawXQQHbnYUoir4PNfxQGWnie98l7-xYG66QOCXLaMxIyi8PwDphdArhM61SCH_I688dWMd6-WCChCZskfqbd8syEql4fDgWrUQPlA3vTLN3_G7zX2HQY-M-aqZcbmImCWkpjmphsWtxs7pQIntpDfcNn-Ulccfkd1XCzmCH2RZTUjHxPDHnumvn733i4Uk1ZafyGkiPrmIRF0UkxT3SNP8z4QPhkj1lEf3Gn2r8ykdwm-hp7F7iDc6oGAQ7tvX86wYjrycoIjjKQu46KYf7MLv0fsPvDwFFC0tTjQdWO4OxyN2dpvR8Sfqf1r1nVvSyYtMJp-JI-YkpZX29kqUGVjiakeo-du_yL4MroHg6ZrwvbmlI92ZwjVGVEUY9i519mmXPgovzazNAEwmA1uRgaH7TiPQyoMIlHIIxXTGA=w1892-h1386-no

pgTW5iXeF_wlh1kUc_RDiJUeve0rZ6q8oL_kpFohN3TwFd86kNEGvALABPeEMiJhu7ED7i7zKpKcKJ0DwCqW64aJzU9_KIpFvugYLj6-5eiE_ibI-hdbLNpDUTdyYv_PTaOTQQWZSPR9CEt2O7ZxXPb4lJY6jth1ADZ7Q7cYJSBojXsiMPSsV4HlcFkTEjzVW8R1qdB9usvi9tmo0Nz5HJuUGF5NaNc4XALXo1KloJApFdnnTt43hFDrEQVVw_9OCvUaLzCdJSrzhkWLYMikpXa61HfPMcuW3uVSzmpFw287jGdT91f6WjM9mrX-58tZ1FgXSGy4LTPH3pkR8K8ymbwe2WneIfELX0uXm8cR7WlA2flfRQ2wURa3BBo_T9SxsPbCT2Q0DaEdmAXn5roic9Q2csJpY86kF5ZcFEhxjgm5awdN4eXwUBzGdrrbKLQFArsPkYdnImdu658UTJxYBLZyS8ECOSift1W83LaVKdWf-DX41TDI_HPCel-mNGNpPrphTHBejror6Hhqvt8kQ4Nnch1yiDn3NdRjewHZTho6syKnW2eiXA8WKo14YNttTz_9jtU5s32_LpKl574ApeXs6l5PolZjzBs6f9LhPTb_feBqyuZkzbHVIe-fa4IXYVYd9fFpwo2PpMtaKfz5R-eaxcDU-UrE5D4z5_kaRkBTFw=w1848-h1386-no

TJf_mxgwHWEv6liIdz3c-7-MdcgiZVeDz4wWrlKUWoRWNG5_RR4rWPZxv81G8Bpf3B1Q0_FjeBffSa58UHXvLK4RbRXDOQv8ruq5cERJUUIzfGftU2bK5f95-4kFbipSBiTFGpSy6LzZkgdQAjQMEzoREjmUpTC-9sz9ih_PjORFXcruxxf6klG-QqwNTuccNEVDbrKugtRNNTfyV9Pdm4UTRFVX7iU_FZgIZBVhxKSlS7ot5HX65IfouYXbYvFi9wR5FOmLI42NL8Vc8OBfFgm4oVIIaU1Ffpd0ngWGf8xFP0rHTcTWXK0farXIJD5VJLtTO8XQQKFnkH4YKbahMq0673A-l2hI1CxeJwrjnDjsX6vaH5z19CWas8_Wj0J2_q9slsuAbQs8ND3pTZOoMdpnx2xmYS65dgNlao-0GNWGYgSRbl4e56YAaCNkn7HEMPAnMZxmUhVcvT9O6ydgaVgALPZR_7zeRqfajvWwLxkQIEBaicL9TdbsefsLiJwnZzky9BqjLkT8yKHkulegXsexKiKGQMkMLbGY4sTk8e0y2FLtrRra5PlDwhLf__ykxy2xscPqve6MMH4eZt2YTlL2yMBhF3vPTy0O3fPoS1S_SUP0bs62CKqfmx_ODTlp7npgcKLCU2U4S2np8DNTThWjFWj2xAY7BtZ71LhDQQ5vow=s1386-no

_ItzE84UA-JPh54pLVJsaXMYAfpssdntTXwvlvUYget92KGgbYDa8vPzYhPVYqFcvcFoF_Tkkw9fvJQfadpa8jEaxcTeczAehK_6rVCLclQSHE_zFliNqClHV4UtRXvl4X5BP1QfhBysIxKHJ-wuywfpj8dgYfWMAJ9-r997Kvp49CWI8NYHvC0or-lFPSWO5EbtKzOJfB7QBr0R3IyaQmExR0uLyrlppGDoHfUGD0goSyx-tvor_1YlNhYjk7OIft9cMh8Aj0oq9ID4td49-CKHInaCLbxBcp6Ajx5UB4c2OszsjrNpY0BOL-KkVP2fq6JTAIaQyR6xNMeX2LVwanVq9rVYugxFCGw6MPCFt6f_GNzIIRQ9ejmP6upheOQwYtwZ-34H1qvJNgpguZlIsgFiUHEhlXPh3f3XIs2OmI-nZ4gkS1dAwy9ypiJabVZWZROtKxVeNMDE4aHxsTpvnuHHpBwvomMXXeiaiPLmjSAHBK3XbcugS9NLNk_uCAFA6GOzPWoncqmc99pxdKDwNNAi1wFxyuTzPba3r0gz719sHKgk82ChciX48ZTnTNRjSyd3Y-RnT7I-kdfSImOmBHngbqZcPckkb4jQ0BdUY2V06Nn-KchOdauhRcEFpZo24cFY8QNqp_5A5pyNOyuPlBJFY3EkZNl67eiHDOFK-lYWIA=w1732-h1386-no

great pictures we are looking forward to our cruise end of august. Do you have any suggestions for excursions for 2 older couples. We were told not to miss Mendenhall glacier and whale watch in juneau and Whiter pass railway in Sgagway.This our first time on solstice but have sailed other celebrity ships. Also any suggestions for on board. We will be in Blu, And any suggestions for Victoria British Columbia would be appreciated.

Thank you

Mike

great pictures we are looking forward to our cruise end of august. Do you have any suggestions for excursions for 2 older couples. We were told not to miss Mendenhall glacier and whale watch in juneau and Whiter pass railway in Sgagway. This our first time on solstice but have sailed other celebrity ships. Also any suggestions for on board. We will be in Blu, And any suggestions for Victoria British Columbia would be appreciated.
We did the White Pass Railroad excursion which we quite enjoyed. First, it's a relatively quick journey at about 3 hours roundtrip, giving you time to explore the small town of Skagway or consider another excursion, and secondly, you board the train right on the pier which is super convenient. In the below aerial photo of Coral Princess, which was berthed slightly closer in than Solstice, you can see the train running along the left-hand side of the photo.

We did not see Mendenhall as we elected to go kayaking in a nature preserve outside of town.

For Victoria, we just walked around the harbor while some of the parents in our group took their children to Miniature World, which they loved (http://www.miniatureworld.com). Butchart Gardens is quite popular and if anyone has a green thumb they might be interested in making the trip out there (http://www.butchartgardens.com).

1fL6QFpyDpkDfxKcmsnmEO7J8UvKU68BRNXnhh_wkLbnMaELQ7xdWySww7kjWE01ys37YFoKcnQ48jfcDtQsSV_TJBeLH31TMfIgov8U01y0Pa9jJJBAVJt__NgQGUY65UfhLQRWVSrblPRP2DoD-wzwKAJwREt5-8f7UWp-hr7u_Q704UfGccMIq8IPW3IfhyWTwuqu-WTG7u9josSznFYhP3rHEFstklcEL3blSABhyfV2J7vNb8aFHJolKyJM0rYEhMBtnaOjNoJO2IAmpUEb2PEMmMJbDaQ6lYP2W-M0g_nrp6tuiNJFe2p44_oGHTXydtJ2gTMkwLIJkVDxMcw2KCzEG5gWlqSVesE-cBGlU1ecsS1aNGJ-lz1ixU5V4CCe81c-6U9qmuw7SvI-ph6zc7vnJPyipZAZml3j-RrrkAaFVVdaslTrnK2NmWjG2c8Ag_CNHXhlX2-nYiXq0n6P5O-bFVK-F3pC87IXeFJm5agx2mY1e_0qoRCmZI_FjH_o06r1vPHsE3INc0R96wYgzOTYxgOmUYzvo4ysqWx2RQTlzVpVHjYkDuOPI1gygxtvPPQbs4j8forrQkXkdEiW2OULOg6rZU31Op65bOO41qt-77XFTNVQ=w1388-h1386-no

C1QAr0Kr7DYTXyIHbHsk1v4r0QvkqyEC1E4v9hkhjxU6jKQUrc6oGOoP-sVpsRgK-6KE5rcMDn-R9ZLRkvs5tbyt0OvAIYw-Ohqy6D-enuiV3hoNy1kdGmoK3XGfYs7zwzEHEFnwMlzwFftRLuZERwnfy06v6ErMctq7hKfVBp5XPIDgTn7mrHlQ0kD_-O5gtvx-RMhPkpBEspjQ7lfCSUnKxKnapKmCcpi7_Z5YfJ37-JXizyQk6fC6MKsr2sUEIT68_oD5xhxAm4oWkFD4S0HOefXMtdfKjZ4HMMGzsD6Nbpm2Aq3gSQed6PCwSjj-7KZZ4oJh-Fd4KUhPZr0V7TCuUWMEYSNmzp35Bw7QY5EUeiRZRaQR_oMcYrCksA-r25e7VVtR7hgsx9BnYQeTJe3ySLIRkA1tRmaq1aeFVX5YKGmmzTncK_m7uwWpVgo5Co_J0Bvd_TSW3sPneW--Owokr-vH0N1adK5MBCKolptUI1r_Mb-BHpPIMbS8LyipPkZFwfjHWaAgrCzkl9NcAb2y8mXXZwXfnaja3FbtsGgNsIKUvBVnjm9RBH2GX3Z5FW3rK9BYhlj8usllXAgVCt8k1Cr6Ymos-Z0EwRlo0hgWky-WVw8kNecr=w1848-h1386-no

I didn't think launching the drone from aboard the ship would be permissible, so I did so from ashore.

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing.

I am sailing Solstice in October and also have a drone. I was not planning to take this with me, since I was told it would be confiscated upon boarding, and held until the end of the cruise. Can you please share your experience, specifically, how you managed to bring your drone on board, and if there was any feedback from staff? Your wonderful photos have me wondering about how I can do the same. Thank you

No one said a word about the drone. I used to have a Phantom 4, which was occasionally flagged and inspected at airport security and/or customs. With my Mavic, I have only been stopped once and it was by security personnel at Amsterdam Schiphol because they wanted to ask me how I liked it.

Boarding and return to the Solstice with my Mavic in my backpack was done without a problem. Of course, I did not attempt to launch from the vessel as I assumed that was not allowed for a multitude of safety reasons.

No one said a word about the drone. I used to have a Phantom 4, which was occasionally flagged and inspected at airport security and/or customs. With my Mavic, I have only been stopped once and it was by security personnel at Amsterdam Schiphol because they wanted to ask me how I liked it.

Boarding and return to the Solstice with my Mavic in my backpack was done without a problem. Of course, I did not attempt to launch from the vessel as I assumed that was not allowed for a multitude of safety reasons.

Thanks jsea. I have a Karma. It also comes in a backpack, although it's more of a hard case with shoulder straps. I agree that launching from the vessel is not a good idea, and I'm with you - I don't need to have an expensive toy confiscated for my stupid safety breach. I'd love to bring mine on board Solstice, as we set sail in 50 days. You've given me something to think about. Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

Hi, thank-you very much for the Solstice review! We really enjoyed her on our trip from Hawaii to Vancouver this spring. We are now planning an Alaska cruise on Infinity. Port of calls: Juneau, Ketchican and Icy Strait Point.

I would really like your insight on any of these three ports if you can. Can we just walk off the ship and explore or are excursions really recommended due to the absence of interesting elements within walking distance? Any must do excursions? My wife and I are in our mid fifties! Thank you for your help!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Great pics, thanks for sharing.

I thought (hoped) (since drones were on the banned list), that at least they would let you have them back in port if they confiscated them upon embarkation.

I would bet that they are about as consistent on this policy as many others.