Spirit Christmas & New Year 2017

CoupleUK

Hi All

My mom (nearly 80) and her friend are on Norwegian Spirit for Christmas and New Year.

This is moms 2nd cruise (her first was with us 13 years ago) and it is her friends first cruise.

They are pretty nervous, but excited, about the whole adventure.

We havent sailed on NCL for many years so can't really offer any up-to-date advice.

What advice can you offer them please?

What restaurants can they eat in without a surcharge?

Is there a menu for the included drinks package?

Any places they can walk to and visit at the ports of call? They are both active.

Thank You.

The Spirit is the oldest ship in the NCL fleet but our favorite. It still likes very nice. Very much a classic type of cruise ship.

There is tiered, covered seating at the aft of the ship by the kids pool and close to a bar. Free restaurants off the top of by head, the two MDR, Blue Lagoon, buffet, and the Chinese food place.

Hi All

My mom (nearly 80) and her friend are on Norwegian Spirit for Christmas and New Year.

This is moms 2nd cruise (her first was with us 13 years ago) and it is her friends first cruise.

They are pretty nervous, but excited, about the whole adventure.

We havent sailed on NCL for many years so can't really offer any up-to-date advice.

What advice can you offer them please?

What restaurants can they eat in without a surcharge?

Is there a menu for the included drinks package?

Any places they can walk to and visit at the ports of call? They are both active.

Thank You.

Copy of my post on the Roll Call

This will be our 6th time and 3rd Xmas on Norwegian Spirit , it might be old hat to us but we just love it . The included restaurants are both Main dining rooms (windows and garden room) Raffles Buffet, The Blue Lagoon (Burgers, chicken wings chips etc) and last year the Asian Restaurant (Shogun I think) was included but it's quite small so you really need to book. There's also a couple of other places around the ship that do burgers etc. The drinks menu highlights what you can have on your drinks package , there's plenty of choice inc cocktails , spirits, wine, beer etc , it certainly included everything we wanted .

Ports of call.

Valencia - it's a lovely city I think the ship offers a shuttle

Casablanca - book a tour if you want to see it. There is no big shinny cruise termInal, the ship that ties up in the cargo area, there is a shuttle and it's a fair walk to town . To be honest if you want to see Casablanca take the ship tour inc the Mosque. It's not really an easy city to navigate on your own We shall almost certainly stay on board

Lanzarote - it's a fair walk into Arrecife and there's not a great deal there . Theres plenty of taxis at the ship and normally an English speaking taxi coordinator to help.

Tenerife - There's a free shuttle bus there to town , we shall probably just go into town at our leisure have a coffee and find some free wifi

Las Palmas - There's a huge shopping centre right next to the port which includes a C & A's so we have to pay homage there first , from there it's not to far to walk into town and there's a nice square there for coffee etc .

Madeira . It's quite a walk into town, there is a shuttle but it's worth the trip in it's just lovely there. Plenty of taxis at the ship doing tours which can work out quite good values if there's 4 of you.

Malaga is just beautiful. Take the shuttle into town cross the road and enjoy Málaga.

Most ports have a Red Sightseeing bus which Is a good option

Hope that helps

Glyn and Kath

Thank You for your replies - much appreciated.

One more question - do they have "english-style" lemonade at the bars? Mom likes to drink a case or two of Port & lemonade each evening (she will kill me) but we've only ever found it sold on P&O (and that was expensive for a tiny can).

She doesn't really drink anything else - even has to have lemonade in a glass of wine lol

If not served aboard, do you know if they sell it in the ports of call and whether she would be stopped from bringing it aboard?

Thanks

Thank You for your replies - much appreciated.

One more question - do they have "english-style" lemonade at the bars? Mom likes to drink a case or two of Port & lemonade each evening (she will kill me) but we've only ever found it sold on P&O (and that was expensive for a tiny can).

She doesn't really drink anything else - even has to have lemonade in a glass of wine lol

If not served aboard, do you know if they sell it in the ports of call and whether she would be stopped from bringing it aboard?

Thanks

I think the nearest they will do to English Lemonade is Sprite. They are really hot on not bringing liquids on board, we saw a lady have a bottle of unopened water taken off her when returning to the ship in Casablanca which she had purchased on board before she disembarked that morning . She was even able to show them the receipt but they were having none of it.

I'm not one for making a fuss (typically English) but I think I would have been demanding to see everyone from the Captain downwards about that.

I'm sure your Mum will love it, we do

Glyn

I'm not sure what English lemonade is. NCL does not carry Coke products so no Sprite but they carry Pepsi products so they will have Sierra Mist and Diet Sierra Mist.

NCL strict on bringing any liquids on board including water you bought onboard, took off, and want to bring back on.

I'm not sure what English lemonade is. NCL does not carry Coke products so no Sprite but they carry Pepsi products so they will have Sierra Mist and Diet Sierra Mist.

NCL strict on bringing any liquids on board including water you bought onboard, took off, and want to bring back on.

Well Sprite is certainly what we asked for however it came from a pump and whatever it was it resembled what we English call Lemonade.

If they have the Beverage Package she can have all those wonderful slushy drinks without the alcohol such as Frozen Strawberry Daiquiri, Virgin Pina Colada, and then there are those lovely drinks that don't even feel like they have any alcohol in them. Dirty Banana (or BBB), Mudslide, and even just Bailey's.

As for the drinks menu, the drinks are included if under $15 and if a drink if over that amount one just pays the difference and the 18% gratuity charge. And none of the drinks I listed above are over the limit. She could do wine spritzers just ask for a glass of white wine with the Sierra Mist. I think they will have a wonderful time! Kudos to her and her friend for going on a great adventure.:D