Upcoming Spirit cruise out of Barcelona - problems?

numberguy

Everyone,

With the ongoing Catalunya vs the rest of Spain issue going on, do I need to worry about our upcoming 11/23/17 cruise out of Barcelona? Possibilities of it being cancelled? I'm not panicking at all, just wondering what I might need to be prepared for. I did not buy the Travel Protection (d'oh!), but I recently got an e-mail about a policy offered by NCL I may look into to see what it covers. Just asking for opinions; flames will be ignored. Thanks everyone!

--Michael

We're on that cruise, 6 of us, Flying from the UK into Barcelona. From what I understand the city is working pretty much as normal. I have an online friend who is there at the moment putting up normal holiday photos on Instagram and tweeting. I think it's more political than riots etc.

Everyone,

With the ongoing Catalunya vs the rest of Spain issue going on, do I need to worry about our upcoming 11/23/17 cruise out of Barcelona? Possibilities of it being cancelled? I'm not panicking at all, just wondering what I might need to be prepared for. I did not buy the Travel Protection (d'oh!), but I recently got an e-mail about a policy offered by NCL I may look into to see what it covers. Just asking for opinions; flames will be ignored. Thanks everyone!

--Michael

No reason for NCL or you to cancel cruise. Just stay away from the section of Las Ramblas nearest Plaza Catalunya since that's where the demonstrations are mostly held.

Personally, even though I love Las Ramblas I'd stay away from all of Las Ramblas.

I think some of you who responded may not be aware of the "breaking news" regarding the situation. The Catalonian Parliament just declared independence. It's possible the situation there gets a good bit worse in the near future.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/27/europe/catalonia-independence-spain/index.html

No reason for NCL or you to cancel cruise. Just stay away from the section of Las Ramblas nearest Plaza Catalunya since that's where the demonstrations are mostly held.

Personally, even though I love Las Ramblas I'd stay away from all of Las Ramblas.

And guess where our hotel is...

I'm going to assume that they won't want to upset the tourism euros.

--Michael

Be very careful in Barcelona..we were robbed in our hotel room 2 weeks ago tomorrow while we were asleep.

They took my purse with all our cash, credit cards and most importantly our passports....BEWARE!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Forums mobile app

Good grief! :eek:

Which hotel were you staying in - please do let us know so we are on our guard?

Yes the Spanish army is planning to invade ...now what ..

I dont want to be there if thats whats happening

I hope we skip Barcelona ..no need to go where trouble is brewing ..we are there Nov 8 ...too close for comfort

Hey NCL time to move ports ..how about Gibralter , Tenerife, Palma ...get awAy from Barcelona

Michele

Be very careful in Barcelona..we were robbed in our hotel room 2 weeks ago tomorrow while we were asleep.

They took my purse with all our cash, credit cards and most importantly our passports....BEWARE!

please give more detAils ..where .how did you not hear them ??

We're on that cruise, 6 of us, Flying from the UK into Barcelona. From what I understand the city is working pretty much as normal. I have an online friend who is there at the moment putting up normal holiday photos on Instagram and tweeting. I think it's more political than riots etc.

Hey there, I know you posted on the Roll Call once or twice. I've organized the Meet & Greet for this cruise, so if you go back to the Roll Call, you can sign up for the M&G if you're interested.

--Michael

We were at the Novotel Barcelona Cornella. We were in an upgraded suite with separate bedroom and they broke in while we were napping in the early evening after we had been traveling all night from Toronto then toured Barcelona all day until we could check in. Some type of alarm either fire, smoke or emergency door alarm woke me up but I think this was the decoy used so we wouldn't hear anything...it was a grab and go for sure but they came back in later when we were at the police station reporting it and took a few more things from our luggage...the hotel denies entry and says it was our own cards which was impossible since we weren't even there.. they are such liars

I’m sorry that you had to experience that awful incident. I hope you could still go on the cruise. Do you mind sharing more so we could learn from that? Is that hotel near the airport and includes breakfast? I’m afraid that we might have booked that one for our next coming cruise.

Edited by Biris

The hotel was right off the highway about 15 min from the airport and quite near the subway station that took us to the Canadian consulate to get emergency passports. I think you could add breakfast at check in.

Yes we were able to join our cruise in Naples on Day 3...we had to get flights from Barcelona.

I hope we skip Barcelona ..no need to go where trouble is brewing ..we are there Nov 8 ...too close for comfort

Hey NCL time to move ports ..how about Gibralter , Tenerife, Palma ...get awAy from Barcelona

Michele

N00000oooooooooooooo :') - We board in Barcelona - Now dont go wishing that on the Epic's TA Michelle ...

And hey - forecast for next week is 71 !!:D

We were at the Novotel Barcelona Cornella. We were in an upgraded suite with separate bedroom and they broke in while we were napping in the early evening after we had been traveling all night from Toronto then toured Barcelona all day until we could check in. Some type of alarm either fire, smoke or emergency door alarm woke me up but I think this was the decoy used so we wouldn't hear anything...it was a grab and go for sure but they came back in later when we were at the police station reporting it and took a few more things from our luggage...the hotel denies entry and says it was our own cards which was impossible since we weren't even there.. they are such liars

This is awful - really horrible

Hope you put it on their Tripadvisor page -

Some low life in the world - :mad:

I am in Barcelona now, there was a small group disturbance (less that 100) outside my window on Les Ramblas late last night/early morning. No violence that I saw but a delay with getting it dispersed by police. Lots of yelling and name calling.

Otherwise, the city is pretty much the same as my previous trips (2 additional this year, plus all the prior) I've gone out the last 2 nights for my classical guitar concerts, and will be again tonight. These aren't real late since I'm back by 11p. I am alone, but know the city well. Be certain, to KNOW where you are going and move along.

Michele

Absolutely NO indication of the Army invading Catalonia.

Some times for information it is better to check the British or European press

I am in Barcelona now, there was a small group disturbance (less that 100) outside my window on Les Ramblas late last night/early morning. No violence that I saw but a delay with getting it dispersed by police. Lots of yelling and name calling.

Otherwise, the city is pretty much the same as my previous trips (2 additional this year, plus all the prior) I've gone out the last 2 nights for my classical guitar concerts, and will be again tonight. These aren't real late since I'm back by 11p. I am alone, but know the city well. Be certain, to KNOW where you are going and move along.

Thanks for this. We won't be there for another three weeks, so I'll just keep am eye on things. I'm not a worrier, just want to be prepared.

--Michael

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Absolutely NO indication of the Army invading Catalonia.

Some times for information it is better to check the British or European press

Amen to that. Thank heavens for BBC World News on cable. It's not the first time I've used that source for information about world events. I'll have to check out the Canadian channels as well. Apparently CNN is focused on the Russia/election story, but no surprise there as it's been beating that drum since the election.

Jim