17 Killed in Terrorist Attack at Tunesia including possibly including Costa pax

Trekker954

I am sure that is true but would you book a cruise that ported at Tunis now? I would not. I am afraid that this attack will effect this summers cruises also.People have to protect their families and I would just not take the risk.I don't need a lecture either about the dangers or not of other ports.

Couldn't agree more. Yes of course those ports are much more unsafe. If they cant hit people from the west on their own soil, they will go after tourists in other countries where they can walk around freely unnoticed. To think otherwise is being naïve.

Just curious but don't ships sail out of New York? And if so did they stop after 9/11?

Yes they do and yes they did. Big difference - terrorists targeted the U.S and it's "evil" capitalist empire (not my sentiments, of course) by destroying the World Trade Center buildings - not tourists on shore excursions.

However, I lived in NYC right after the attacks and the city was, by all accounts, empty of tourists. Broadway shows were selling tixs for almost nothing, etc. Apartments could be bought on the cheap. Now, it's bigger and more popular than it ever was - a testament to the fact that these animals will never win.

Such a terrible event.

I'm in the Middle East right now and will be boarding a Costa ship later today. It kind of brings home how vulnerable we are anywhere in general whenever there are big crowds together. Westerners may be more of a target.

Sp am I scared about my upcoming cruise? Absolutely not. The Middle East is not one big homogenous block of land where everything is the same any more than Europe is. The reality is that on a day by day basi I'm actually safer here than I would be at home or in any major US city. I'm in the UAE and will also be visiting Oman.

I won't be rushing to Tunisia in the immediate future, but I wasn't anyway. The reality is that terrorist cells are all over the place and will target somewhere else next. What no one has raised on here is the shorex angle. I don't go on them (or almost never) so that has me thinking. Many use the ship's excursions especially in new countries because they feel it will be safer in terms of getting around etc. certainly when something goes wrong, the ship can contact the tour and recall them all, not really for other pax on private tours or like me wandering around by ourselves. On the flip side though are big groups of tourists being herded around by their guides not far more of a target than a couple by themselves? Guess it depends whether said couple are at the same major attraction or not.

IT may well be that by avoiding big tours and major sights at the same time you are less at risk of a terrorist attack but perhaps more at risk of getting lost or mugged being by yourself. It is really all theoretical of course. We can allow these terrible people who commit such horrendous acts to frighten us into not doing things or going places and then they win, or we carry on living our lives, doing whet we want and going where we choose. That is what freedom is after all. No one in Bali, Madrid, New York or London would have been avoiding those places before they were attacked. Who knows where is next?

I'm really saddened by the loss of lives and feel for the survivors and the friends and families of the slain. They won't be recovering from this any time soon.

Edited by AmoMondo

With ISIS on the march I don't think people from western countries are safe anywhere in the Middle East. I don't think the cruise ships should be going there.

I agree with your observation except that cruise lines will go where the money is and as long as there are bookings they will travel. We cruised to Egypt several years ago, bussed around with armed guards, and heard of female travelers being heckled back to the ship when they tried to tour. Vendor harassment was over the top. We actually paid for these experiences! Enough for us!

I believe that 'sitting duck' cruise excursion routines need to be rethought and more government involvement in protecting their tourists. We will be 'rerouting' our travel dollars to areas that ensure greater peace of mind. I do not feel sorry for the country that has so little control or subscribe to cruiser bravado/swagger and entitlement.

A side issue is how this poster was ridiculed by other subsequent commentators. Really!!!! Cruise Critic is supposed to be a site for shared perspectives and information to help us have a more enjoyable and SAFE cruise experience. Way too many posters who need to push someone down to elevate themselves. SHAME ON YOU!

I believe that 'sitting duck' cruise excursion routines need to be rethought and more government involvement in protecting their tourists.

Could you start the ball rolling and suggest some ideas for making 2000 to 4000 cruise ship passengers (sometimes multiplied by 3 or 4 or more ships in port at the same time) — all wanting to go to the same places and do the same things during a 4 or 5 hour window that is announced months in advance, with the schedules accessible to anyone with a web browser — less of a sitting duck?

Of course each individual traveler has the choice to stick with the masses or not. But you're talking about rethinking the whole concept of mass market cruising and I don't see a way to do that (again I would be interested in your ideas).

A side issue is how this poster was ridiculed by other subsequent commentators. Really!!!! Cruise Critic is supposed to be a site for shared perspectives and information to help us have a more enjoyable and SAFE cruise experience. Way too many posters who need to push someone down to elevate themselves. SHAME ON YOU!

WRONG - Cruise Critic is a moderated forum on various cruise topics, if someone offers up their views as they see things, other members who do not agree have the RIGHT to ffer up their views. If your original poster slept throught their geography lessons at school, then present false information then they will get hit.

I am sure that is true but would you book a cruise that ported at Tunis now? I would not. I am afraid that this attack will effect this summers cruises also.People have to protect their families and I would just not take the risk.I don't need a lecture either about the dangers or not of other ports.

Yes, I would book a cruise that ported in Tunis.

No one's lecturing anyone about anything. Just making some observations about human perception. That's it.

I agree with your observation except that cruise lines will go where the money is and as long as there are bookings they will travel. We cruised to Egypt several years ago, bussed around with armed guards, and heard of female travelers being heckled back to the ship when they tried to tour. Vendor harassment was over the top. We actually paid for these experiences! Enough for us!

I believe that 'sitting duck' cruise excursion routines need to be rethought and more government involvement in protecting their tourists. We will be 'rerouting' our travel dollars to areas that ensure greater peace of mind. I do not feel sorry for the country that has so little control or subscribe to cruiser bravado/swagger and entitlement.

Well, thank you for your support. All over the internet there are politically correct people trying to bully and shame others into silence. Instead of getting into a catfight I choose to ignore people like that.

Tunisia is nowhere near the Middle East...and your prejudice and ignorance is rather frightening!

But YOUR ignorance is comical. ISIS is targeting Tunisia, and is eager to expand its evil tentacles into this region to create a caliphate. To have caution construed as "prejudice" is prejudice and ignorant, lol.

This is from ALMONITOR, "The Pulse of the Middle East":

The fantasy of restoring the Islamic caliphate has never been so real. The Islamic State (IS), formerly the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham (ISIS), wants to reshape the boundaries of the Muslim world, including Tunisia, while the longing for a golden age where Muslims had power is driving the war

Edited by YlangYlangF9PB3E

Could you start the ball rolling and suggest some ideas for making 2000 to 4000 cruise ship passengers (sometimes multiplied by 3 or 4 or more ships in port at the same time) — all wanting to go to the same places and do the same things during a 4 or 5 hour window that is announced months in advance, with the schedules accessible to anyone with a web browser — less of a sitting duck?

Of course each individual traveler has the choice to stick with the masses or not. But you're talking about rethinking the whole concept of mass market cruising and I don't see a way to do that (again I would be interested in your ideas).

Maybe stop building monolithic cruise ships and go back to the smaller ships that can call on smaller ports so people can be spread around more. Just a thought.

NCL quit making calls to Tunisia some time ago because Israeli tourists were not allowed to enter the country.

How have the multiple other lines calling there handled this situation? Do they simply not carry Israeli passengers? Or do they warn them that they may cruise but will not be allowed to leave the ship?

So, at this point it looks like the attack will successfully prevent large numbers of tourists from visiting Tunisia and spending money there. How is that in any way helpful to their cause? It seems like they simply shot themselves in the foot for no apparent reason that I can fathom.

How have the multiple other lines calling there handled this situation? Do they simply not carry Israeli passengers? Or do they warn them that they may cruise but will not be allowed to leave the ship?

Good question. Another possibility is that after they paid the price for their policy with NCL, they started letting Israeli passport holders visit for a day on a cruise ship without a visa, which is what they do for every other nationality. I don't know.

How is that in any way helpful to their cause? It seems like they simply shot themselves in the foot for no apparent reason that I can fathom.
Who are you referring to by "they"? The attackers' goal was was not just to kill tourists, but to hurt Tunisia.

WRONG - Cruise Critic is a moderated forum on various cruise topics, if someone offers up their views as they see things, other members who do not agree have the RIGHT to ffer up their views. If your original poster slept throught their geography lessons at school, then present false information then they will get hit.

KEEP ON PUSHING DOWN! I am glad you took the time to AGAIN trivialize the original poster especially in the midst of this devastating tragedy. Anyone who has cruised and cruised with a loved one was right there with these passengers when they stepped off the bus. You offer criticism of a personal nature NOT opinions. SHAME ON YOU AGAIN!

KEEP ON PUSHING DOWN! I am glad you took the time to AGAIN trivialize the original poster especially in the midst of this devastating tragedy. Anyone who has cruised and cruised with a loved one was right there with these passengers when they stepped off the bus. You offer criticism of a personal nature NOT opinions. SHAME ON YOU AGAIN!

Your buddy was not the OP, "Trekker954" was.

Have you offered any condolence message on this forum? NO. I have, because for I feel for the injured passengers and familes who have lost loved ones.

Do you know or ever sailed with Costa? NO. I know Costa well and have cruised with the many times and am here to help members with questions relating to Costa.

Your buddy trivialise themselves with such answers showing that they slpt through geography lessons. I offered criticismand opinion all in one.

NCL quit making calls to Tunisia some time ago because Israeli tourists were not allowed to enter the country.

So, at this point it looks like the attack will successfully prevent large numbers of tourists from visiting Tunisia and spending money there. How is that in any way helpful to their cause? It seems like they simply shot themselves in the foot for no apparent reason that I can fathom.

Ordinary Muslim people are not the same group as terrorists 😮 Those carrying out this atrocity have not "shot themselves in the foot". They have attacked a moderate Muslim state (which they abhor) and Westerners at the same time. Tunisia is one of the few Muslim countries where, following the uprisings, the people really got democracy. Its a country with a democratic Government and good people. ISIS attack Muslims all the time. ISIS, Al Quida and Boka Haram are extremists touting a corrupted version of Islam. They don't like democracy, or human rights, let alone women's rights! The situation is not one of Muslims versus the rest, its extremists who talk a lot about Islam, but ignore the teachings of Islam (which is all about peace and tolerance). They want power, not Islam.

That's a really good point and may I had, as politically incorrect as it is, that many people in the Middle East and North Africa, Muslims, hate Americans because our government supports Israel. That is just a brazen FACT and because of that Americans in that part of the world will always be targeted.

That's a really good point and may I had, as politically incorrect as it is, that many people in the Middle East and North Africa, Muslims, hate Americans because our government supports Israel. That is just a brazen FACT and because of that Americans in that part of the world will always be targeted.
I don't think that's politically incorrect, I think its a simple fact, but the terrorism is aimed at many groups, including us Brits and although our Government wouldn't speak against Israel's slaughter of the innocent in Gaza last summer (despite pressure from the public), it does not bank roll Isreal like the US does, but we are also targets. The illegal war in Iraq didn't help, but as I have said before, its gone beyond all this now. The terrorists target moderate Muslims too. Also, we're all targeted by Islamic extremists everywhere, not just in the Middle East. Indeed, we may be safer in the stricter Islamic states (Abu Dhabi, UAE, Qatar etc) than we are in Western cities 9/11 and 7/7 being illustrations of that.

You are not wrong, but then again: How many Americans were killed at the Bardo Museum on Wednesday? When it comes to ISIS and other fanatic groups, Americans are not the only targets, or even the primary target.