Ecstacy 8-30 to 9-4 aka The Rusting Hulk of a Ship

moonlitmagik

I find it interesting that you say that as I have not been on a Fantasy class. I have sailed on older Conquest class ships and on the Miracle and Destiny. Some of those didn't have up to date bells and whistles but I enjoyed them anyway. Have you sailed on any of them and what was your opinion? Reason I ask is that some folks (not saying you) will only sail on the most fully updated ship and will reject anything less. Be interested to hear your thoughts on that.

12 of my 15 cruises have been on Fantasy class ships (and Holiday class) and we keep booking them!

Why? They are more intimate, we like the crews better, there's not as much theme park-type crap on them, they get you from point A to point B as planned, they have all the normal food and beverage service we need, they're well maintained, and they are much less crowded (easier to maneuver aboard).

I'll let the others sail on the glitzier, tricked out ships and look down on the Fantasy class ships. Just keep them Fantasy class ships cruising and we are one happy family!

No, I wasn't blaming Carnival for the actions of one passenger. If you had actually read what was typed, you would see that nowhere did I state this. I am however, blaming them for allowing people to get THAT DRUNK. Its not safe. When you have people that cannot even function, what if an emergency should arise?

I am also blaming their security team for doing NOTHING. Thank GOD for people like my fiancee and 4 of his new friends or that woman wouldve been hurt WORSE. And according to her it's not the first, or last time. I sincerely hope she gets away from him.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Forums mobile app

blaming them for allowing people to get THAT DRUNK. Its not safe. When you have people that cannot even function, what if an emergency should arise?

Grown people make their own decisions...you honestly think CCL is responsible for STOPPING people from drinking on their ships???? You do know they sell the cheers package and most people on these boards that purchase cheers have long conversations about how to get the most out of the package...how many you need to drink to break even...they cannot wait to just try everything cuz they can...and how can they get more alcohol once the package limit is exhausted...grown people make their own decisions....many people cruise to go crazy and let their hair down...cannot blame CCL for this one...

I have to intervene here because you both are so wrong. Let me tell you what happened to me, a grandmother. DH and I were traveling with my sister and his brother to renew our marriage vows as they were Best Man and Maid of Honor way back when.

There were 5 of us in our party and we just returned from an excursion and were waiting in a long line to get back on board ship. Whenever my sister and I get together, we laugh a lot and got to giggling like school girls.

As I stepped on to the gangway, I tripped on the very bottom of the ramp. I did not fall, but the giggling did not help. All of us went through security and split up for the day. My DH and I went back to our cabin, took a quick shower and went to lunch at the Lido deck. We returned to our room to pick up DH'S camera and my shopping bag to get off the ship and do some exploring on our own.

A knock came at our door. It was security taking away my drinking privelages for 48 hours! What?? Only me, not the 4 others because I had tripped. I was NOT drunk, there was NO blood test given, no one smelled my breath......end of story. My DH wanted to talk to the supervisor, the security dude said he was the supervisor and left. My DH followed him down the hall but the guy had disappeared through a hidden door.

Guest services did nothing, could not do anything. I demanded a blood test. They siaid no, I didn't need one. We got nowhere and this went round and round. We finally gave up, but I do not want to be accused of something I did not do. We did not have the drink package.

We returned to our room and what was awaiting on our bed? The top tier event with free drinks with the Captain. Cool. Then that night at the show, we won a bottle of wine which we shared at dinner. Cool.:cool:

Appairently security is more comcerned with little old ladies than true drunks that can wipe the floor with them.

The Fantasy-class is a cruddy old class, even with upgrades.

Thank you for your opinion. It has been noted and logged.

I think a lot of people do a major disservice to others by hyping these ships up and vouching for them;

Translation: how DARE people express opinions about a class of ship that differ from MY opinion!

I think a lot of people who do so have not been on newer and larger ships.

....And?

It is permissible to state an opinion of something even when you haven't experienced all the varieties of that thing, just as long as your opinion doesn't include a comparison with those other things.

I have to intervene here because you both are so wrong. Let me tell you what happened to me, a grandmother. DH and I were traveling with my sister and his brother to renew our marriage vows as they were Best Man and Maid of Honor way back when.

There were 5 of us in our party and we just returned from an excursion and were waiting in a long line to get back on board ship. Whenever my sister and I get together, we laugh a lot and got to giggling like school girls.

As I stepped on to the gangway, I tripped on the very bottom of the ramp. I did not fall, but the giggling did not help. All of us went through security and split up for the day. My DH and I went back to our cabin, took a quick shower and went to lunch at the Lido deck. We returned to our room to pick up DH'S camera and my shopping bag to get off the ship and do some exploring on our own.

A knock came at our door. It was security taking away my drinking privelages for 48 hours! What?? Only me, not the 4 others because I had tripped. I was NOT drunk, there was NO blood test given, no one smelled my breath......end of story. My DH wanted to talk to the supervisor, the security dude said he was the supervisor and left. My DH followed him down the hall but the guy had disappeared through a hidden door.

Guest services did nothing, could not do anything. I demanded a blood test. They siaid no, I didn't need one. We got nowhere and this went round and round. We finally gave up, but I do not want to be accused of something I did not do. We did not have the drink package.

We returned to our room and what was awaiting on our bed? The top tier event with free drinks with the Captain. Cool. Then that night at the show, we won a bottle of wine which we shared at dinner. Cool.:cool:

Appairently security is more comcerned with little old ladies than true drunks that can wipe the floor with them.

I'm sorry I know this wasn't funny when it happened but it did make me laugh!

Kim

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

12 of my 15 cruises have been on Fantasy class ships (and Holiday class) and we keep booking them!

Why? They are more intimate, we like the crews better, there's not as much theme park-type crap on them, they get you from point A to point B as planned, they have all the normal food and beverage service we need, they're well maintained, and they are much less crowded (easier to maneuver aboard).

I'll let the others sail on the glitzier, tricked out ships and look down on the Fantasy class ships. Just keep them Fantasy class ships cruising and we are one happy family!

I agree with you 100%.

Kim

I'm sorry I know this wasn't funny when it happened but it did make me laugh!

Kim

I'm going to kill my sister as she brings this up at the most inoportune times setting off anther giggling fit. I have wet my pants laughing over this. Oh, my first world problems!!:')

"We were in room M144, main deck, mid ship. Room was well clean and comfortable. Except when we brought back half of Princess cays in my board shorts....Oops!!"

Are you blaming Carnival for this, too?

And by the way, the Ecstasy is a ship, not a boat.

And I guarantee there was food on board, and the Fun Times stated what time the lunch would be served ashore.

Thank you for your opinion. It has been noted and logged.

Translation: how DARE people express opinions about a class of ship that differ from MY opinion!

....And?

It is permissible to state an opinion of something even when you haven't experienced all the varieties of that thing, just as long as your opinion doesn't include a comparison with those other things.

Not at all what I said. If you want to take comments out of context how can we have a meaningful communication?

One of my friends was on that ship. She has a different opinion about what happened. She saw the woman hit first. I have seen the same thing happen on my cruise. A man slapped a woman in the atrium while the hubs and I were on our honeymoon cruise (Pride 2008).

However, here are details not provided regarding my Pride cruise. The woman slapped then hit the man with a closed fist before we arrived to the martini tasting. In my career--in all careers--you should always investigate before assuming. Or choosing a side.

Now, I am going to say something that might anger some people. If a PERSON hits a PERSON then that PERSON knows the consequence. Equal force. I would never hit a man without expecting to get a hit back. If I cry that I am a woman, then that is sexism. Why should I be able to physically abuse someone and not expect the abused to strike back? That is against the law. Abuse is against the law no matter the gender.

Now, if you saw a woman getting abused without provocation while on your cruise, you are also acting against the law. You should report it as soon as you see it. You have aided and abetted. Would you walk away while a man beat a woman on a public street?

So. I guess that makes you as much a party to the abuse as you claim Carnival to be. Unless the man used excessive force. Then that should be reported to the authorities s well. I'm guessing your fiancee reported and filed a fomal complaint because he was an eye-witness?

Original poster said her fiancé and four others pulled him off her. Security was alerted and did nothing. As she stated several times, her complaint was Carnival’s security lack of action.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I totally get that whole let your hair down mentality. When it boils over into women getting beat up, people calling for security and them not showing up is where we drew the line. Not to mention people running everyone over in the buffet lines, cutting in front of people, etc, it just wasn't for us. And the way some of the women dressed with children present... not everyone wants to see body parts hanging out of bathingsuits.

Hate to tell you....all of that happened on my recent Allure of the seas cruise...the 2nd largest ship in the world and certainly not a cheap cruise.

A large fight at embarkation....people cutting in all over the place at the buffet....so many womens butts and boobs hanging out..and men in speedos (gross).

That was my first non-carnival cruise. (I have been on 9 carnival cruises, from the fascination to the breeze in size) I was not impressed with the allure and will certainly be back on carnival for my next cruise (Alaska next summer)

The Fantasy-class is a cruddy old class, even with upgrades. I think a lot of people do a major disservice to others by hyping these ships up and vouching for them; I think a lot of people who do so have not been on newer and larger ships. I stay away from Fantasy-class.

The Fascination was my 1st cruise in 2009 and was what got me hooked on cruising. I have been on 10 since then.

I thought that was the best boat there could be.

Now that I have done the bigger ones, I probably wouldn't go back down, but to each his own and to someone who has never cruised, it is a wonderful way to start out.

We are trying out as many lines as we can to see where we fit the best. Our 1st cruise this past January on Norwegian Pearl (also a smaller ship than say, the escape or getaway) had none of the above mentioned issues. The entertainment was great on that ship but the food was just MEH. This was our first Carnival and honestly probably our last. Maybe we picked too affordable of a sailing and that may explain why over 75% of the passengers acted like theyd never eaten a cheeseburger before, and they werent even all that good. Ill admit maybe I wasnt as observant with the fun times as I could have been. But, as far as im concerned when you have a PAYING CUSTOMER that you deny them access to something that was included in their cruise fare, i will vote with my wallet and take my business elsewhere. And im sorry but something more than an apology should have been done there, and there needs to be more detailed and specific announcements made.

I think a lot of people do a major disservice to others by hyping these ships up and vouching for them.

I believe that there's a lot of people who genuinely prefer to sail on Fantasy class ships because they are smaller, or more convenient, or more affordable, or more traditional, or more down to earth, or simply because that's what they feel comfortable with and because these ships truly meet their vacation needs. However, I do agree that sometimes people overhype these ships beyond what they are which unfortunately sets up unrealistic expectations for many new Carnival cruisers who may have sailed on other cruise lines or who expect something more from their cruise vacation.

I'm careful when I recommend a Fantasy class ship to anyone looking for advice. There are people who I know would be genuinely satisfied with what these ships have to offer but I know that many others would not. Unfortunately a lot of people book these cruises without doing enough research to see if it's truly for them or just assume that a cruise is a cruise guided by comments like "all cruises are more alike than different" which is, in my opinion, one of the most misguiding comments on Cruise Critic.

The Ecstasy..... brand new in 1992. Our honeymoon and first cruise. Dont remember much ... except how “huge” she was, how ugly she was, and how cabin m11 up front was the worst cabin ever. Ahhhh rookie mistakes.

But. It got me hooked!!!!!

Thanks for the review!

We love the Fantasy class and have sailed several ships many times...We were on the sailing before you....not my best cruise...the ship is looking a little worn out but absolutely a great crew...our best waiters in many years.

We also like some of the bigger ships... Glory...Liberty...Spirit...Pride....Victory....etc. Really like Holland America...we sailed NCL's Getaway last November and I was just not impressed...way too big for us...and I honestly didn't feel like I was on a ship...everyone has their own opinions our kids and grandkids loved NCL.

I have seen bad behavior on Hal...NCL...RCI...and Carnival...we try to stay away from trouble....agree security should have done more. Hope you can find a line you're comfortable sailing:)

No, I wasn't blaming Carnival for the actions of one passenger. If you had actually read what was typed, you would see that nowhere did I state this. I am however, blaming them for allowing people to get THAT DRUNK. Its not safe. When you have people that cannot even function, what if an emergency should arise?

If this is your issue, then cruising with any of the mass market lines is not a good idea. LOL @ Anthem, like that would be better with drunks. RCI does not limit the guests use of their drink package, like Carnival does.

I mean seriously.. I just said all that because your comment is a little too simple. Allowing people to get that drunk? I would be falling down drunk after 3 drinks... how would the cruise line know that? How about putting the blame right where it lies... with the one that consumed too much, or the one that already had violent tendencies. Alcohol sure does not put that into someone.

Issue #2: On night 3, some drunken... male... I won't call him a man because men dont hit women... literally beat the crap out of his wife in the atrium. Security, that I saw, did nothing because it took my fiancee and 4 other men to pull this guy off her. I dont know what happened afterwards but this should NEVER have happened to begin with.

This reminds me of the worst brawl I've ever witnessed aboard a cruise ship in all of my 30+ years of cruising. It was aboard the Sensation and it also happened in the atrium. It was a full blown, racially motivated fist fight that grew to about 20 people beating each other, with those around them screaming racial epithets and throwing their drinks at them while others ran for cover. People in higher decks looking down added fuel to the fire by encouraging the fight further. It was absolutely awful to witness.

Carnival staff like bartenders and guest service personnel stood there and watched, somewhat frozen and shocked, but in the most part didn't move to stop the fight (personally I don't blame them because it was violent). Security personnel eventually showed up but by then the fight was winding down.

That cruise, in general, was not one that I want to do again. It was a weekend cruise out of Port Canaveral, and it seemed like the staff was exhausted and had a hard time keeping up with the overly rowdy clientele on that specific sailing. Thankfully I've never experienced anything remotely like it.

To each their own but I don't know if I'd judge Carnival on this experience alone. I'm booked on my 7th and 8th Carnival sailings soon and while some cruises were better than others Ive never really had a bad time because I'm on vacation and....its Carnival. I mean its kinda like the Wal-Mart of the seas. Some people like Wal-Mart because they have a huge selection at super cheap prices and some people wont even step into there stores. Carnival is a lot like that...not for everyone but again you might want to try a better ship before you write them off totally. :)

Thanks for your review, we're considering the Ecstacy in Feb and appreciate the information.

I am really sorry but I can't let this go though, you really need to come to the new millenium and stop viewing violence through the lense of gender constructs. ANY person who hits another is vile and disgusting, whether it's a woman hitting a man, a white person hitting an Native American or a person in a wheel chair hitting a visually imparied person. Domestic violence and other violence against men is vastly underreported in this country because of this type of thinking.

Off my soap box, thanks again for your review and I appreciate your critiques!

One of my friends was on that ship. She has a different opinion about what happened. She saw the woman hit first. I have seen the same thing happen on my cruise. A man slapped a woman in the atrium while the hubs and I were on our honeymoon cruise (Pride 2008).

However, here are details not provided regarding my Pride cruise. The woman slapped then hit the man with a closed fist before we arrived to the martini tasting. In my career--in all careers--you should always investigate before assuming. Or choosing a side.

Now, I am going to say something that might anger some people. If a PERSON hits a PERSON then that PERSON knows the consequence. Equal force. I would never hit a man without expecting to get a hit back. If I cry that I am a woman, then that is sexism. Why should I be able to physically abuse someone and not expect the abused to strike back? That is against the law. Abuse is against the law no matter the gender.

Now, if you saw a woman getting abused without provocation while on your cruise, you are also acting against the law. You should report it as soon as you see it. You have aided and abetted. Would you walk away while a man beat a woman on a public street?

So. I guess that makes you as much a party to the abuse as you claim Carnival to be. Unless the man used excessive force. Then that should be reported to the authorities s well. I'm guessing your fiancee reported and filed a fomal complaint because he was an eye-witness?

I wish I'd read all the replies before I sent mine, you are definitely a very #woke person and people like you will Make America Great Again!!