what did you do when you were a Newbie, that makes you laugh now

haladdict

Packed ALL my shoes. Woke up in middle of the night and realized what I had done. Had to walk off the ship with my mother's pink ballet type slippers that were 2 sizes too small (then opened up my suitcase outside terminal to get shoes in front of everyone). Next couple of cruises I put shoes under my pillow while packing. Now, I'm a pro at packing:D

Note: we use to have to have our bags outside the cabin at 2am. Now it's midnight.

First cruise...having a drink in one of the bars...told my brother I couldn't go walk around with him to see the ship until I finished my drink!! He laughed at me and told me I could walk around the ship with my drink:eek: Also used to always pack a sweatshirt and a pair of jeans and leave them in the bottom of the suitcase...just in case it was cold in the Caribbean....don't do that anymore!

Packed ALL my shoes. Woke up in middle of the night and realized what I had done. Had to walk off the ship with my mother's pink ballet type slippers that were 2 sizes too small (then opened up my suitcase outside terminal to get shoes in front of everyone). Next couple of cruises I put shoes under my pillow while packing. Now, I'm a pro at packing:D

Note: we use to have to have our bags outside the cabin at 2am. Now it's midnight.

On a recent cruise we met and became friendly with a couple from FL. The Last morning outside the cruise terminal we ran into them. We were shocked at first sight of the husband. He had been impeccably dressed during the cruise. Now here he was in pants way above his ankles and tied with a rope. A pair of slippers that were obviously way to small.

Yup you guessed it he forgot and packed everything lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our very first cruise we won as an auction item. I didn't know anything about cruising or anything about HAL. It was on the Veendam and we had one of the insides that are on the same deck as the Neptune Lounge. So of course, while exploring the ship we wandered into the Neptune Lounge.

Well, let me tell you, that didn't go over very well. We were quickly told that the Lounge was exclusive and not open to us. Determined to find out what was so exclusive about it, on our next cruise we booked a Neptune Suite to see what the fuss was about, only to discover that for us, it was grossly over rated.

We took our first cruise way back in 1989; our then TA told us room service was available 24/7. We looked at the room service menu several times during those 7 days, but never worked up the nerve to order anything, because we were sure we'd have to pay extra for it, just like at a hotel. When we returned, the first thing she asked is if we enjoyed breakfast in bed from room service - only then did we find out it was complimentary!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

About 30 years ago, I wanted to go with my husband on our first cruise, even though we didn't have alot of money. Booked a $199, lowest grade inside room, on an old ship (the Galileo, Chandris Line ) during late March and found $69 airfare from Minneapolis to Miami. Well, the $39 flight appeared to be some kind of mail run or something. It took all night, making 4 stops on its way down to Florida. By the 3rd stop, my husband was fairly irritated with me for booking this. The cruise turned out to be a Spring Break party boat with about half the passengers being college students.. A beautiful, old, and very worn ship, but yet every morning, there was a buffet set up on deck with fresh flowers and white tablecloths. The staff still had the old school elegance, and really worked to try and keep up that old ship. Our inside cabin was not terrible, but I also learned that I was fairly claustrophobic. Great time to find out. Between the cruise director officiating "stuff ping pong balls in the girl's bikini" at the pool, and spring breakers washing down their dramamine with bottles of champagne, we learned that we didn't like. But we did learn that we really loved cruising and that some things are worth paying for. 8 cruises later, we're still at it. :-)

Edited by cruzngal

Grabbed a Baileys Irish Cream in the MDR in a small souvenir glass(as the wine steward walked by with a tray) thinking they were complimentary. Fifteen minutes later when she asked us to sign the bill, we realized how stupid we were. We still laugh about it today.

Our very first cruise we won as an auction item. I didn't know anything about cruising or anything about HAL. It was on the Veendam and we had one of the insides that are on the same deck as the Neptune Lounge. So of course, while exploring the ship we wandered into the Neptune Lounge.

Well, let me tell you, that didn't go over very well. We were quickly told that the Lounge was exclusive and not open to us. Determined to find out what was so exclusive about it, on our next cruise we booked a Neptune Suite to see what the fuss was about, only to discover that for us, it was grossly over rated.

I also had an interior room, one wall shared with the Neptune Lounge. During the turnaround day, I stayed onboard for my B2B and enjoyed about 15 minutes in the Neptune. Friends from previous dinners, who were Neptune suite, invited me to join them for their last breakfast before they departed. The Neptune Concierge smiled and said sure, no one else will be here for hours. Had a nice espresso and wished them a good journey home. Perhaps it helped that I waved to the concierge as I walked past during the previous week.

Grabbed a Baileys Irish Cream in the MDR in a small souvenir glass(as the wine steward walked by with a tray) thinking they were complimentary. Fifteen minutes later when she asked us to sign the bill, we realized how stupid we were. We still laugh about it today.

Just about the same thing happened to me. First cruise: a waiter handed me an "umbrella drink" on deck. I thought, "Wow, this is GREAT....a free drink upon boarding!". Then I was handed a slip of paper to sign and realized it wasn't free. It was a letdown at the time, but a great lesson in cruising. Very little of what you see or do is "Free", you pay for it somehow. In your fare or by signing the bill!!!:);) It's all good, I loved cruising from the get-go and I still do years later!

Just about the same thing happened to me. First cruise: a waiter handed me an "umbrella drink" on deck. I thought, "Wow, this is GREAT....a free drink upon boarding!"

How are you supposed to understand that those drinks come with a bill? X gives everyone a glass of bubbles that really is free as soon as you enter the ship. Somehow on another deck, a drink on a tray handed to you with a big smile, is not a gift anymore. I think a large percentage is surprised with that bill, not necessarily newbies.

On the first night our cruise, my wife and I headed down to dinner and were somewhat disappointed in the limited dining options. We decided to eat at Canaletto and we enjoyed it. It was only on the second night of the cruise that we "discovered" the Main Dining Room! We still laugh about this.

a simple little question - Is this free? - will take care of hidden cost

I agree with you, but when you are a newbie on a first cruise (for example) you may fall into the trap of "assuming" it is gratis. I am older and wiser now, but when I was younger and new to travelling I didn't think to ask!;)

Got up really early every morning to watch the sail ins. The ship we were on sounded the horn and I'd jump out of bed, even if it was 5.30am

We also didn't discover the main dining room until the last night, we'd been eating in the buffet for every meal

But we took 2 sets of parents on their first cruise we mocked up a letter with the cruise line logo etc which said that they had to ensure they always had a flashlight on them in case of power cuts at sea and gave them a flashlight - they carried it everywhere. We giggled all the time, eventually had to give in and tell them on day 4 of 7 because I couldn't stop laughing. At least they found it hilarious

Sent from my iPad using Forums