Whats up with the Jewel for April 2018 and beyond? Being sold?

They have itineraries into 2019. I know I booked one on the Bliss, but Jewel ends on 4/1/18. I am on that sailing as well and would like to see about the next cruise but I can't find any info at all. NCL told me last year we would know by November, then first of the year, well that's past?

Steve

My guess would be Asia till it returns to Australia and New Zealand for southern summer 2018/19. It will depend if the cruises with it in southern summer 2017/18 sell well for the actual Australia and New Zealand cruises. It would seem that the double re-positioning cruises with the Jewel in 2017 and 2018 have sold well so some re-positioning in 2018 and 2019 could well occur.

But it could go across the Pacific from Japan to North America after April and again be used to Alaska before re-positioning south again.

We just finished the Panama Canal cruise on the Jewel. We attended the presentation on NCL cruises and I am pretty sure I heard the representative say the Jewel was going into drydock for a complete remodel.

To be the smaller ship in the Chinese/Asian market?

We just finished the Panama Canal cruise on the Jewel. We attended the presentation on NCL cruises and I am pretty sure I heard the representative say the Jewel was going into drydock for a complete remodel.

Thanks for the reply,

That would be terrible.

My experience is they try and get a jump on the dry dock during the cruise and I know several of us would like to do another cruise.

Oh well.

Steve

My experience is they try and get a jump on the dry dock during the cruise and I know several of us would like to do another cruise.

Oh well.

Steve

Last year the Sun had lots of workers on preparing for a drydock when they got to San Francisco so the trip from Santiago to San Francisco was "disturbed". Be prepared!!

Mike

• 4 months later...
They have itineraries into 2019. I know I booked one on the Bliss, but Jewel ends on 4/1/18. I am on that sailing as well and would like to see about the next cruise but I can't find any info at all. NCL told me last year we would know by November, then first of the year, well that's past?

Steve

The Jewel will be doing Alaska itineraries because the Sun is going to be doing Cuba. So the Jewel was given the Sun's Alaska itineraries.

We are booked on the jewel June 25, 2018. I am still curious why ncl's reservations site shows arriving into Tokyo April 28 and the next trip starts on May 26th (from Seattle). Any one have any updates on what ncl has planned?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Forums mobile app

Been a mystery for a while, I was hoping to book the relocation from Japan to Alaska. Wonder if there is some drydock work to be done during those 4 weeks.

Please pardon if I rant for a second.

I am sure the OP was just asking, but when things like "BEING SOLD" are in a title, that is how rumors start.

As to drydock in a presentation - I would guess a high number of presentations mention drydock. All ships go through various type of them - some a few days, some a few weeks, some really are just in port and not truly drydocked, but the same term is used.

The Jewel is indeed doing Alaska for summer of 2018.

Where next? I can not imagine the efforts and "hair pulling" that must take place in the long term planning section of any cruise-line trying to figure out where to best position their ships. Trying to figure out the whims of the paying customers, and the availability of ports, logistics, etc.

We are booked on the jewel June 25, 2018. I am still curious why ncl's reservations site shows arriving into Tokyo April 28 and the next trip starts on May 26th (from Seattle). Any one have any updates on what ncl has planned?

The are still planning the transpacific.

Remember, it will take 40 days to get from Vancouver to Australia. Less than 30 days back from Tokyo is fast.

The are still planning the transpacific.

Remember, it will take 40 days to get from Vancouver to Australia. Less than 30 days back from Tokyo is fast.

28 days is a slow cruise to go from Japan to Seattle. Other cruise lines go to Kamchatka, Dutch Harbor and make the usual Alaska stops in less than 4 weeks.

I think Jewel is the only of the Jewel class ships not yet to have the Norwegian Edge update. During the most recent earnings conference call, FDR seemed to be a big fan of Norwegian Edge, suggesting that it was driving significant onboard revenue -- people get out of their rooms and spend more on a nicer ship. Seems questionable to me, but the head honcho said it with conviction. He also said that the Edge program was going to be done by the middle to late 2018, so if Jewel is going to get Edge, I think that would mean either on the way back from Asia or after Alaska 2018.

I was just aboard the Spirit booking the April 1st and 16th cruises to Japan/China. I asked the Cruisenext person about the cruises after. She had an email with preliminary info. She had the Jewel doing Japan-Japan for Apr 29-May 6. Then a TP via Petropavlovsk and Seward ending Seattle May 6-26. She didn't have a release date. I can't wait as I'll be booking them. We were from Vancouver so I can visit my sons.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was just aboard the Spirit booking the April 1st and 16th cruises to Japan/China. I asked the Cruisenext person about the cruises after. She had an email with preliminary info. She had the Jewel doing Japan-Japan for Apr 29-May 6. Then a TP via Petropavlovsk and Seward ending Seattle May 6-26. She didn't have a release date. I can't wait as I'll be booking them. We were from Vancouver so I can visit my sons.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just listed this morning, 20 days from Tokyo to Seattle with some great stops. Wish my calendar allowed it.

That's a really awesome looking cruise. The map suggests it ends with the inside passage even though it ends in Seattle but the itinerary doesn't show it. Either way a neat cruise. I wish we could do it.

Still nothing for winter 2018 for Jewell.

• 5 months later...