Pre-cruise Ramblings...

195 days until cruise

Under 200 days. I can't believe how quickly the days go by. Today is my first day back to work after a week off. We did a few beach days, and an amusement park day. Nothing to big. Everything is about the cruise, we tried to not spend to much due to the cruise. My wife gets a little annoyed sometimes that everything is about the cruise, but for us with 4 kids this is a lot of money , and we have need all this time to set everything up for the cruise. I feel we are in pretty good shape and the plan is coming together quite nice.

I think last update we had 2 of the 3 nights hotels booked for the way down. We now have all 3 booked. It is a little scary booking ahead but I feel our plan is quite solid, and as long as nothing that can't be planned for comes up we should be good.

We have started a bit of a packing list, and list of "things we have to do" Things will progress quite quickly now. I always feel the September to Xmas time frame goes buy quite quickly with the kids returning to school , then Halloween and Thanksgiving, and before you know it is Xmas time and new years. Once new years comes we will almost be there!!

The next thing for us is getting an excursion booked. We will likely be doing that very shortly.

Thanks for reading!!

195 days until cruise

Under 200 days. I can't believe how quickly the days go by. Today is my first day back to work after a week off. We did a few beach days, and an amusement park day. Nothing to big. Everything is about the cruise, we tried to not spend to much due to the cruise. My wife gets a little annoyed sometimes that everything is about the cruise, but for us with 4 kids this is a lot of money , and we have need all this time to set everything up for the cruise. I feel we are in pretty good shape and the plan is coming together quite nice.

I think last update we had 2 of the 3 nights hotels booked for the way down. We now have all 3 booked. It is a little scary booking ahead but I feel our plan is quite solid, and as long as nothing that can't be planned for comes up we should be good.

We have started a bit of a packing list, and list of "things we have to do" Things will progress quite quickly now. I always feel the September to Xmas time frame goes buy quite quickly with the kids returning to school , then Halloween and Thanksgiving, and before you know it is Xmas time and new years. Once new years comes we will almost be there!!

The next thing for us is getting an excursion booked. We will likely be doing that very shortly.

Thanks for reading!!

Good to hear from you! Sounds like everything is coming together..and you're right...time flies between fall and the new year!! Just love reading your updates:):):)

• 1 month later...

159 days

and 156 until we leave. Time is going by so fast. I am not really into planning things right now. I feel almost everything is planned. I do still have to figure out some hotel options or the drive home. We have all 3 of our hotels booked for the way down, but for the way home we aren't going to pre-book anything. We can't be sure when we will get off the ship and in the car, so it is really hard to know how far we will be able to drive. I plan to make a list of all the places I can find that will hold the 6 of us. Then we will just phone these places as we go depending on where we make it to. I just don't have any motivation to do it right now...

Last I posted here we weren't planning on doing anything in Montego bay but just the other day we booked Sunscape Splash through resort for a day. We are excited for that!! We are still going to book Playa Mia in Cozumel just haven't yet.

We are looking into getting the KYSS bag. We are concerned about our stuff on the beach. Anyone have any experience with them?

159 days

and 156 until we leave. Time is going by so fast. I am not really into planning things right now. I feel almost everything is planned. I do still have to figure out some hotel options or the drive home. We have all 3 of our hotels booked for the way down, but for the way home we aren't going to pre-book anything. We can't be sure when we will get off the ship and in the car, so it is really hard to know how far we will be able to drive. I plan to make a list of all the places I can find that will hold the 6 of us. Then we will just phone these places as we go depending on where we make it to. I just don't have any motivation to do it right now...

Last I posted here we weren't planning on doing anything in Montego bay but just the other day we booked Sunscape Splash through resort for a day. We are excited for that!! We are still going to book Playa Mia in Cozumel just haven't yet.

We are looking into getting the KYSS bag. We are concerned about our stuff on the beach. Anyone have any experience with them?

I bought a KYSS bag for my wife for our last cruise. She liked it a lot more than I expected. She is always concerned about leaving her "stuff" somewhere. She strapped the bag to her chair and didn't have to worry about her things when she took a dip in the pool or whatever. When we were on excursions, she felt so much better about her stuff on the bus. It wasn't nearly as obtrusive as I thought. Most people probably never thought it was any more than another tote bag.

Is it necessary? Oh, probably not. Did it help my wife relax a bit? Absolutely. It's worth it to me. Plus, she was going to get a tote bag anyway, so the additional cost was negligible.

We didn't do the beach on the cruise, so I can't weigh in on its usefulness there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

159 days

My husband and I get into a "mood" and just get in the car and go. I have all of the hotel apps on my phone. Helps me know what's up ahead, and making reservations while on the road. Not to mention they keep up with my reward points and those gain me the occasional free night.

159 days

Canadaman111, if you need some restaurant recommendations once you get into Texas I'd be glad to try to help you. Just let me know.

Enjoy your drive down and your cruise. 156 days will pass rapidly.

We had a KYSS bag and recently dumped it in favor of a Cool Bag. I never felt quite secure with the KYSS bag, but then it started falling apart. It was only used a few trips and then started falling apart in areas that rendered it completely insecure. When I emailed the company about the stitching of the zipper coming apart, asking if they could repair it, I never got so much as a si6mple reply. FYI... you cant stitch this on a home sewing machine because it goes thru some hard plastic. I followed Cool Bag as it progressed thru a kickstarter site and wound up buying thier gen 2 bag. I like it a lot and it is very secure, sturdy and more useful than the KYSS bag.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

I am a planner too and a parent of 3. I always get made fun of for my cruise binders, but I find all of them flipping through it before we go! We LOVE cruising. The boys have all been on 4 with us. Our first cruise got us the 3rd boy:D and our upcoming cruise is an anniversary cruise with NO kids! We have made some incredible memories. The 2 oldest are now in college. Our last cruise was the summer before our oldest started his senior year of high school - we knew there would be no hope of a vacation his last year of school or the summer before he started college! We did Eastern Caribbean, and were lucky enough to visit some of the islands that have now been devasted by the hurricanes. Both boys have been keeping track of the updates from the islands, feeling just as sad as me that some of our favorite places have been so hard hit. Cruises are truly a learning experience, cultural experience, and family bonding experience. Embrace it and enjoy it. And plan and ramble away!

159 days

I know you are excited, it will be here before you know it. We had a storm hit the area so Houston and Galveston are recovering from Harvey. When in Jamaica, we did the carnival excursion to dunns river falls. It was so fun. My adult daughter said it was the best excursion she had ever done and I agree. Just a thought. In grand Cayman we just take a taxi to seven mile each. Whatever you decide will be great fun. Keep us posted on your countdown, I have 10 days until my next cruise and another planned for thanksgiving day.

Got off an ncl boat on Friday scouting out carnival now GREAT DADS THINK ALIKE, lol after your first you will do the same guaranteed canadamann. And if your paying don't worry about the kid in college he will come back for a cruise my fIL used it for his kids often when they went to college for some quality time with the shorter grocery list money enjoy.

• 2 months later...

Hey Canadaman111- just checking in- I missed the date or I was going to tell you 'Congrats on moving to double-digits' a few weeks ago!!! Down to about 75 days now, final payment date has passed so it should start to get real now!

Feel free to drop back in here and let us know how things are progressing... got excursions booked yet?

• 1 month later...

25 days until cruise

We are almost there now. I haven't posted here in a long time. I just re-read the entire thread. It is amazing how everything has changed and evolved since we booked.

We recently canceled the excursion we had booked in Montego Bay due to the safety issues they have been having there. We didn't want to risk it with 4 kids. We are going to go to the beach by Calico Jacks in Cayman Islands, and we have booked Playa Mia in Cozumel.

I feel very ready for this. It is almost time to get out the suitcases and start packing now. A couple weeks and we will be into single digits!!

25 days until cruise

We are almost there now. I haven't posted here in a long time. I just re-read the entire thread. It is amazing how everything has changed and evolved since we booked.

We recently canceled the excursion we had booked in Montego Bay due to the safety issues they have been having there. We didn't want to risk it with 4 kids. We are going to go to the beach by Calico Jacks in Cayman Islands, and we have booked Playa Mia in Cozumel.

I feel very ready for this. It is almost time to get out the suitcases and start packing now. A couple weeks and we will be into single digits!!

Good to hear, how exciting. How's you're weather? Safe travels. Take lots of pictures. Looking forward to hearing all about your travels.

Canada Man, today is the first time I saw your thread... It was a great read. I am a little different. As a road warrior for forty years I have been everywhere (including Canada) and pretty much know what there is to do in each port. I make my decision on activities when in port base on weather and what the touts at the pier have to offer. Sometimes I rent a car and have it delivered to the pier and conduct my own tour.

I loved reading about your drive plans. It sounds like fun. I live in California 20 minutes from the seaport. I throw a few things in a bag in the morning just like I will do this Saturday and take the Splendor to Mexico.

Canadaman,

I just came across this thread and read every one of your posts and some of the responses, it has been very exciting for you and you all must be very excited to go in so few days left. Your daughter aged 2 years in my reading of this thread :) That is a long time to be planning your cruise and details. I love to plan but usually no more than 6 months in advance and mostly about 1-2 months.

I hope you have a safe trip down South. Texas is great so leave early and take in some of that great hospitality the Texan's offer. You will love it.

Montego Bay seems very unsettled right now and it is probably best to either enoy the ship for the day or stay close to port and have a look. We have been there and we got a driver to pick us up and return us to the ship through Courtney Taylor and then also got a day pass at Hilton Rose Hall it was very very nice but I think it could be very pricey for a family of 6. When in Cozumel we took a taxi to Playa Mia and bought only the pass that included the pools, slides, toys in water and no food. We left as soon as we docked and we played around on the beach, did multiple slides on the water slide and went back to the ship but no children were with us. Your family would likely get very good use of the entire resort for the day so plan for lunch.

I am also from Ontario and started my cruising with Carnival and have most recently been sailing with Royal but I may go back to Carnival sometime soon. Very anxious to hear all about the journey.

If you have Wi-Fi at the hotels come back and check in to let us know how your travelling down goes.

Thanks - Have a Fantastic Trip!!!!!

25 days until cruise

Canadaman, the weather in Houston is getting warmer, low to mid 60s in the day. My offer of Texas restaurant recommendations and travel advice still stands if you need/desire.

Safe travels!

25 days until cruise

Have an amazing time!! I am hoping you will post a review, so we can all hear about the adventure.

Just came across this and started reading through, you are going to love it! You will be booking your next one by the time you get back to Canada. Because I am sure of this I will offer a few tips for your next traveling adventures. We live in Northeastern MN... Flying out of Minneapolis is sometimes hard to find good airfares especially in the spring to hot spots along the south. It is usually just my husband, me and our granddaughter, but have gone with 4 of us. I am all for best bang for the buck and tend to look at the cost of things and the value. I have found that driving is not really an option for us. (I do not get a lot of vacation time during the year to spend 2 weeks gone for one vacation). We have found that Southwest Airlines is probably our best option. (no added baggage fees) We can usually fly MSP to Jacksonville or Atlanta and we rent a car for the week. With added hotel room stay, rental, parking meals etc we can save anywhere from $600-1,000.00 going this route. I am a Loyal Marriott customer so I can often use points for 1 or 2 nights and their rates are usually in line with other chains. We tend to go with ones that offer the free breakfast to save $ on at least one meal. I always try to book our flights as soon as we can, but I also wait for when they have their sales. (Also try to use points if we can) Usually do not have enough to cover them, so waiting for the best price at 5-6 months out is perfect timing normally. We have traveled with our kids on long road trips when they were younger. We did the journal thing and I highly recommend that. We also had each of them (4) kids pick out something they wanted to see on our planned route. We Helped them research a bit and they had a lot of fun doing that, and they felt like they were part of the planning. We would make a planned stop with eating, seeing what one of them had picked our along bathroom breaks all in one. Other stops were shorter with just bathroom breaks, gas fill and stretching. As far as your cruise goes.... Is your wife an organizer or you, or both. Determine this and that person should do the unpacking once you are able to at the cabin. My husband takes the little one and lets me get everything organized. (sometimes it is hard with many hands, unless they are good and can do it on their own without direction) Less time unpacking means more time to enjoy. Setting the cabin up with your items put away and easily accessible will make it easier for your day to day on the ship. Another lesson learned is I always have clothes laid out the night before for port days. It is one less question you have to deal with when you are trying to get off the ship at your port. On our 3rd Cruise the husband and I took turns bringing breakfast back to the room on port days. It saved time and we did not feel rushed trying to get up to the Lido to get breakfast. I have also established rules on putting things back where they got them from. The vacation is for everyone, everyone needs to pick up after themselves. (I always keep a garbage bag under the bed for dirty clothes, once full I transfer it to one of the suitcases that is used just for that.) Since Carnival went to one room cleaning per day (with option for 2) we have gone with the afternoon one. We found that this worked out best for us, and we always liked having the turned down bed service with our cute towel critter to come back to after dinner. Other tips on ship..... our 6 year old, now 7 will do most dinners with us, but will sometimes opt to do the Camp Carnival thing with the kids at 6:00 pm, they order their food and they eat in a sectioned area of the Buffet. After dinner time is when our granddaughter goes to Camp Carnival for a few hours, allowing us to take in a show or just some downtime for us. You will find that if you get into a schedule with the young one you will also enjoy some relaxing time for the 2 of you :) I know there are a lot of other tips etc, but being I did not get through every page of this thread I did not want to repeat a bunch of things that you already know or have planned. I wish you the best of cruises! The first one is always the most exciting as it is just that.... the first, but you will be addicted :) Will be looking forward to your review once you return! We will be going out on the 3rd of March out of Port Canaveral on the Magic, so I am already laying out the clothing :) Safe Travels!