Traveling with child without other parent

Chickenlover8

I took my niece, I got a notarized permission letter from my sister, but the check in staff never asked to see it. She looks just like me thou so I think they assumed she was my daughter even tho we have different last names and my kids have the same last name. I would get it just in case.

This is one of those "past performance doesn't guarantee future results" situations.

You should, indeed, have a (notarized) letter from the other parent. This is to ensure that parents aren't kidnapping children. Rare, yes. Probable? no. But they can ask you for it, and I know that on airlines they can deny boarding if they ask and you don't have it.

That said, chances are slim that you'll be asked. But if you are, be prepared is the motto.

I agree with BK512...its likely that you will not be asked for it...but is it worth the risk of them asking for it and you not having it? I say no...better safe then sorry on this one...I'd get the note just in case....

This is one of those "past performance doesn't guarantee future results" situations.

You should, indeed, have a (notarized) letter from the other parent. This is to ensure that parents aren't kidnapping children. Rare, yes. Probable? no. But they can ask you for it, and I know that on airlines they can deny boarding if they ask and you don't have it.

That said, chances are slim that you'll be asked. But if you are, be prepared is the motto.

I could not have said it better.

Yes you should have a letter if they leave the country. My parents took my kids to Canada and immigration detained them because they didn't have a letter. They called us and we had to prove that we okayed the trip and that we were their parents.

I've traveled on 2 different cruise lines with my kids and without my husband, all were closed loop cruises. I had a letter (not notarized) and the kids had passports. I was never questioned by anyone.

I think if I were to try that on a one way transatlantic, I might get questioned.

Yes you should have a letter if they leave the country. My parents took my kids to Canada and immigration detained them because they didn't have a letter. They called us and we had to prove that we okayed the trip and that we were their parents.
Apples and oranges. Canada required the letter, or say they do, but I guess not really.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I am leaving in four days for our cruise! While reading through info, I came across the traveling with a minor section. It says if you are alone with your child without other parent present, you need a letter from them giving permission?

No, you will not need a letter. I travel a lot on cruises with my DD 12...we have different last names. I bring our birth certificates and passport cards. Nobody ever questions anything.

I would do it just in case, I have never had a problem on a cruise. But one time while flying out of the country, my daughter was stopped at customs. We have a special character above one of the letters in our last name. For some reason the machine flagged my daughters ticket because this character was missing from her ticket, but was on her passport. We travel out of the country 2x a year with no issues. She started crying because the machine put a big X on her ticket and sent us to customs. She took it personal lol. The officer had to ask her a lot of questions to make sure she was not kidnapped!

And I have traveled many times with my kids without my husband and never been questioned once

Ditto.

My hubby isn't into cruises. It's always just me and my little guy who will soon be platinum. I've never had a letter and never have been asked for one. Leaving again this Sunday. Not worried. :)

No, you will not need a letter. I travel a lot on cruises with my DD 12...we have different last names. I bring our birth certificates and passport cards. Nobody ever questions anything.

Sorry but this is NOT good advice. We sailed with our granddaughters and have been asked for a letter three times.

Once when we checked in on Disney, once on a Royal and once by Customs as we were getting off.

You are supposed to have a letter. Be prudent and obtain all of the documents you need!!!

What she/he said

This. I've taken my kids on 3 cruises. The first I wrote a letter & asked my ex to sign & notarize. Turns out, he doesn't know what "notarize" means. He had his new wife sign too & called her his notary (she is not...). I was never asked for the letter on that cruise or the next 2.

As has been said before if you can get the letter get it. It will give you peace of mind to have it. On a cruise to Canda with Carnival I had the letter but was not asked for it. On my last cruise to the Bahamas with Royal Carrabian, my X and I were not on good terms so I did not have a letter. Thankfully no one asked for it. If I had the option I would opt for the letter. I did note that carnival does NOT specify that the letter must be notarized. So I am not sure how they would know that the letter was written by the absent parent. I don't know if this helps but my children and I all have passports, travel on closed-loop cruises, and we all have the same last name. In fact, their last name is different from my X. We agreed to not change names when we married and I insisted that the children take my last name.

As has been said before if you can get the letter get it. It will give you peace of mind to have it. On a cruise to Canda with Carnival I had the letter but was not asked for it. On my last cruise to the Bahamas with Royal Carrabian, my X and I were not on good terms so I did not have a letter. Thankfully no one asked for it. If I had the option I would opt for the letter. I did note that carnival does NOT specify that the letter must be notarized. So I am not sure how they would know that the letter was written by the absent parent. I don't know if this helps but my children and I all have passports, travel on closed-loop cruises, and we all have the same last name. In fact, their last name is different from my X. We agreed to not change names when we married and I insisted that the children take my last name.

Exactly. A letter really means nothing. You can write it your self and sign it as the other parent. There are no security measures in a letter.

It is better to be safe than sorry. If, heaven forbid, you were to have a medical emergency or miss your ship at a foreign port of call, you could need it to obtain needed services.

I am my childs mother. I am the one who can authorize medical attention. You do not need both parents to authorize medical attention, nor would a letter written by someone mean anything more.

Sorry but this is NOT good advice. We sailed with our granddaughters and have been asked for a letter three times.

Once when we checked in on Disney, once on a Royal and once by Customs as we were getting off.

You are supposed to have a letter. Be prudent and obtain all of the documents you need!!!

And what do you think families do where one parent is just out of the picture...cant even be found? They cant travel? Of course not. The letter you speak of doesn't even need to be notarized, so joe blow can write one saying they are the parent I guess??

From Celebrity:

Family Legal Documents

Should the last names of the parent and minor child traveling with them differ, the parent is required to present the child's valid passport and visa (if required) and the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy). The name of the parent(s) and the child must be linked through legal documentation.

Adults who are not the parent or Legal Guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child's valid passport and visa or the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child's parents. The notarized letter from the child's parent must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise, must authorize guardian to sign legal documentation/waivers for participation in any activities requiring them and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any medical treatment that must be administered to the child. If a non-parent adult is a Legal Guardian, the adult must present a certified certificate of Guardianship with respect to the child.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

DH will not cruise. I’ve been on 8 Disney, 3 Carnival and 3 Celebrity with either one or both of my kids alone. Never had nor needed a letter. They have however always had passports and we all have the same last name.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums