NCL Jewel - Bed in Penthouse Large Balcony

satchimosmom

First time cruising with NCL. We’re booked for July 9th in Alaska. We ended up booking an aft penthouse with large balcony. The NCL agent said that the bed can separate into two beds, but the description online merely states it’s a queen bed. I assumed the sofa would fold out as an additional bed, if desired, but the online description says the room only accommodates two people...so now I’m questioning the sofa.

I’m going with my sister-in-law and we need separate beds. Does anyone know IF the bed actually separates or is it possible it’s truly a queen bed and nothing more?

THANKS!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Been in those penthouse suites several times and I'm quite sure they don't separate.

Same here. The aft-facing penthouse suites on the Jewel class ships were originally called something like "Romance Suites." The bed did not separate. And the suites were rated for two people. There was a sort of love seat couch for sitting on, but it was not something a person could sleep on. Here's how 10666 on the Jade looked back in 2010:

enhance

More recently, many of these aft-facing SF Penthouse Suites have been rated for 3 people. (OP: where are you seeing only 2?) The love seat has been replaced by a small sofa, as you can see in this photo of 10164 on the Gem taken in early 2016, and that's where NCL expects the third person (or someone not sleeping in the bed) to sleep.

enhance

I seriously doubt that the bed will separate. Unfortunately, the NCL phone reps don't necessarily have correct info. You should go further up the chain until you are satisfied that you have the correct info, since it is important to you.

Good luck!

Beds in Suites should be the nice fluffy real mattress type vs the dividing mattress in mini on down.

You could call and verify the coach/sofa type. If it pulls out to a bed.

Or another possible idea would be a roller. Not sure how much actual room in the aft penthouse there is but a possible idea.

I was actually in 10164 on the Gem last year and the bed was able to be split into 2. Maybe since the "romance suite" title is gone the single queen beds are slowly being replaced with the split beds. Who knows. The bed was actually very comfortable though.

Wow! Thanks for your replies everyone! I called back and the young man I spoke with pulled up our actual room (9670 on the Jewel). He told me it is a regular queen but assured me the sofa will convert to a bed! So, I’m going to accept that as fact. If the sofa for some reason doesn’t, my SIL will just have to share and get over it [emoji23]

I’m very excited about the cruise. We’re headed to Alaska for the first time ever and it’s going to be amazing. We’re doing the Anchorage cruise tour!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums