Cruising Norwegian Jewel April 16, 2018 China and Japan (Shanghai to Tokyo)

Vernaford

Looking for a few couples that would like to create a group for shore excursions to the ports on this cruise in order that we can lower the per couple cost and have the ability to direct our own time and destinations. Except the itinerary would be similar to what cruise line offers but likely can add a spot of 2 at each port. Particularly interested in getting a group that would like to do Great Wall, Forbiddden City, Tiananmen Square and a couple of other spots in Beijing with an overnight in Beijing. If we can get a group of 10 this excursion would come in close to $200.00 per person covering all thes highlights including hotel. Look at the website shoreexcursions.asia for lots of information. Couple mid 60’s from Canada

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Vernaford

Me and my wife love to be joint the excursion group to visit Great Wall, Forbiddden City, Tiananmen Square and a couple of other spots in Beijing with an overnight in Beijing. Please let us know. Do we are eligible 114hrs waive China entry visa?

Pham

Dear Vernaford

Me and my wife love to be joint the excursion group to visit Great Wall, Forbiddden City, Tiananmen Square and a couple of other spots in Beijing with an overnight in Beijing. Please let us know. Do we are eligible 114hrs waive China entry visa?

Pham

Sorry Pham

This group is full as it only takes 10 people. I recall another party looking to join a group so you might want to check through the posts . As far as the 114 hour waiver I was advised when I contacted the China visa people here in Canada that we are not eligible. Hence I have just put in for a regular L ( tourism) China visa. Hope all works out for you. Cheers Verna

• 1 month later...

No you are ineligible for the 144 hour visa- you will need a multi entry visa. 144 hours only applies if you are visiting Shanghai, then going straight to another country. This cruise visits 3 ports in Mainland China. You probably will be denied entry at the airport as to get the visa you will have to show them your itinerary showing where you will stay in Shanghai and your exit from Shanghai to another country. I was just on the cruise March 21st that visited Xiamen, Shanghai and Beijing. 200 passengers without a multi entry visa got on the ship as embarkation was in Hong Kong which doesn’t require a visa, but they weren’t allowed off the ship in any of the Chinese Mainland ports. This was the Chinese’s governments policy, not the ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On the April 1st cruise there were Chinese personnel at the check-in desk area and anyone without the right Chinese Visa was being referred to them. They "tried" to explain; the one we heard to people who didn't want to listen; that they had two choices.

Not to board at all.

To board and then debark BEFORE visiting a Mainland Chinese port, ie in Hong Kong and then to make their own arrangements from then on.

There was NO option to board and remain on the boat at the Chinese ports.

NCL had no part in the actual decision

Mike

On the April 1st cruise there were Chinese personnel at the check-in desk area and anyone without the right Chinese Visa was being referred to them. They "tried" to explain; the one we heard to people who didn't want to listen; that they had two choices.

Not to board at all.

To board and then debark BEFORE visiting a Mainland Chinese port, ie in Hong Kong and then to make their own arrangements from then on.

There was NO option to board and remain on the boat at the Chinese ports.

NCL had no part in the actual decision

Mike

Interesting information- do you know how many didn’t have visas? I wonder what decision they made.

On the prior cruise(Hong Kong to Tokyo) a friend of mine onboard said 200+ people did not have China visa and were able to board, but not get off in any China ports. I don't know if that is true, but I believe her.

It happened when we went to India a year ago, people didn't have the correct visa and were allowed to board AND NCL made a special tour for them to be able to go ashore without a visa. I am not saying it will happen, but from experience I know it did.

BUT, having said that, that is why I am not on the ship now, I didn't have a Chinese visa, so I am joining the cruise in Tokyo on May 6th and going to Beijing for 144 hr visa free before the cruise. I wouldn't take the chance.

On the rush for getting a Chinese visitor's visa, time is running out, for anyone leaving next week in advance of the cruise. Cruiselines and their port agents/reps are probably just as confused about the latest 144 hours transit rules, so the burden has always been on the passengers to be responsible for getting their own, finding out about the exceptions & exemptions, and what is needed ... and the airlines will deny boarding if flying non-stop to PVG, PEK or CAN, etc.

Chinese embassy, i.e. DCA, SFO, LAX, ORD and NYC, etc. will issue visa for last minute travel with proof, for a surcharge - and available for next business day pickup or slower, on 3rd. day, upon applying in person at the nearerst consulate offices. Check their website and have all the detailed, required info on the lengthy application, 2 passport-sized photos and the fees - if you can get this done next Monday, the visitor's visa could be available as early as Tuesday and/or Wednesday ... possibly just in time before going to the airport for the TP flight.

Cities with Chinatowns and served by established T/A that specialized in China travel will do this for a fee, if the logistics is an option, ask a friend, neighbor or co-worker familiar with them for their recommendations. The Asia forum here on CC has been buzzing for a while about these new 144 hours rule and the pro's/con's.

For those in HK prior to the cruise, emergency visas for the mainland can be obtained there, with the proper fees/surcharge ... best to apply in person, I did that once, many ... many years ago

On the prior cruise(Hong Kong to Tokyo) a friend of mine onboard said 200+ people did not have China visa and were able to board, but not get off in any China ports. I don't know if that is true, but I believe her.

It happened when we went to India a year ago, people didn't have the correct visa and were allowed to board AND NCL made a special tour for them to be able to go ashore without a visa. I am not saying it will happen, but from experience I know it did.

BUT, having said that, that is why I am not on the ship now, I didn't have a Chinese visa, so I am joining the cruise in Tokyo on May 6th and going to Beijing for 144 hr visa free before the cruise. I wouldn't take the chance.

Yes I was on that cruise and that was true. 200 without visas that could not get off in China. April 16th though boards in Shanghai so unless they have an itinerary that shows they are leaving Shanghai to fly to another country they will be refused entry into Shanghai. I think the only way around it would be to stay in Shanghai, then fly to the first port of call in Japan and embark there.

At the M&G yesterday I asked Stephen the question. There were 80 people who were allowed to board in Yokohama and have to leave the boat in Hong Kong and make their own way to Shanghai. There they can pick up a 144 hour visa as they are arriving from Hong Kong and then IMMEDIATELY (within the 144 hour period) on flying to a different country, that is, leaving China completely after Shanghai.

That's a good option ... well, considering, to allow them off in HK and rejoin in Shanghai.

Those 80 have the options of flying to PVG, not sure how pricey those last minute 1-way airfares are ... pack lightly as inTRA-region luggage allowance aren't as generous, although it's not easy to enforce for mainland China flights.

Or, book a HST (direct train) from HK to Shanghai - many of the airports on the mainland lately are hit with fog ... Springtime weather, check those localized forecast for the region, might be wiser to go land route - easy overnight and it's very comfortable, minimal chance for any kind of delays.

Yes I was on that cruise and that was true. 200 without visas that could not get off in China. April 16th though boards in Shanghai so unless they have an itinerary that shows they are leaving Shanghai to fly to another country they will be refused entry into Shanghai. I think the only way around it would be to stay in Shanghai, then fly to the first port of call in Japan and embark there.

That makes sense. Thanks for the update.

That's a good option ... well, considering, to allow them off in HK and rejoin in Shanghai.

What is?

I don't know what is happening to B2B passengers but the 80 I do know of were Yokohama to Shanghai. They have to make onward journeys that THEY arrange either directly home fom Hong Kong at their own expense OR to go to Shanghai from Hong Kong at their own expense, make hotel arrangements again at their own expense, get a 144 hour visa free visa and leave Shanghai on their original plane booking.

I think the only way around it would be to stay in Shanghai, then fly to the first port of call in Japan and embark there.

I think that that would require the earlier acceptance, in writing, from NCL; there are manifest considerations to be taken into account. Also the acceptance by the Japanese Authorities.

I think the only way around it would be to stay in Shanghai, then fly to the first port of call in Japan and embark there.

I think that that would require the earlier acceptance, in writing, from NCL; there are manifest considerations to be taken into account. Also the acceptance by the Japanese Authorities.

Yes- I’ve met passengers who have missed embarkation due to delayed flights etc and embarked at a later port. I guess they would have to ring NCL to see what they can arrange. Once in the Shanghai airport, they would have to book a hotel and a flight out of China and show evidence of this to qualify for 144 hour visa. I’m also unsure how it works with the Japanese officials with embarkation etc. They would already have an entry visa to Japan as they would have had to do that to enter Japan. Just all very messy! I have received two emails from NCL - one just after booking (early March and another reminder about 2 weeks ago). Let’s just hope everyone knows and has managed to obtain their visa.

Also wondering if the airline even allows you to fly if you haven’t got a visa or the paper work to show you qualify for the 144 hour visa.

I have been talking to the people on board regarding people arriving in Shanghai without a visa. They got in touch with the agent in Shanghai who contacted the Chinese authorities. The consensus was that it was imperative that everyone who wants to travel from Shanghai to Yokohama has a visa.