Jewelry Question

Hi all, I have a question regarding jewelry.

I have read on this forum and other places that it is not wise to take any expensive jewelry on a vacation. I get it, I know a lot of things can happen. But this is my little personal "dilemma". I have a few pieces of jewelry (heirloom pieces) that I rarely get a chance to wear, as we do not "go out" for dinner or to parties very often. They are not inexpensive pieces, but I really love them and long for a chance to wear them. I see a cruise ship vacation as the perfect time, especially on gala nights. I am certainly not wearing them to possibly impress anyone (and it's very possible they wouldn't), but just to have the personal joy of wearing them. My mental struggle is whether to leave them home, or take them, wear them, and enjoy them. Since I rarely get the chance, I really want to take them. But then I worry about the "warnings" out there not to travel with expensive jewelry. The few items sit locked in a safe (or bank vault) and never get worn. These things are not the Hope Diamond or anything, but they would be expensive to replace. What is the consensus on this? I know the ship has a safe in the room to lock them up. Any problems ever with that? I have not heard of any so far. Do I just take them, wear them, and enjoy the rare chance to wear them......or......leave them at home? Advice from all of our very wise experienced cruisers is needed!

Thank you very much.

I no longer travel with any jewelry that is important to me. I left a handmade necklace on the Zuiderdam ... on the night stand ... and, gee, it was never turned in to Guest Services. It was NOT an expensive necklace but the beads were brought to me from a bucket list trip that a friend took. I hated to tell her it was gone.

I don't know what other items you have, but wear them at home! Don't let them languish. Even if you are going to the grocery story ........ or out to dinner -- doesn't have to be a five star restaurant!

Wear them, wear them, wear them!

I'd take them, wear them and enjoy them. Never had an issue with the room safe, or anything that's ever been left out in the room, for that matter.

Carry your pieces with you in your carry-on, on flights if any, and on and off the ship.

For me, if my jewelry gets lost (more likely than stolen), it's just gone, and insurance money isn't going to replace its sentimental value... but I enjoyed it while I had it!

I think wearing my (few) heirloom pieces to enjoy them is more important than protecting them in a safe, but that's just me. m--

Thanks I think I am getting a little confidence here now. I understand about Ithaca Gal's necklace. I lost a pair of gold hoop earrings once in Italy....in a hotel....possibly left out but more likely taken from a "keyed" safe (not combination safe). It's all okay. I have gotten over it. At least I enjoyed them for awhile....

Glad no one (so far) has had problems with room safes.

Keep your comments coming, I would love to hear from all the cruisers as to their experiences in this arena.

Take your treasures, just be very, very careful. The safe is the only place for them when you are not wearing them. So many distractions, so easy to "misplace" them in your cabin. Tables, drawers, they can fall on the floor, get down behind cushions, resulting in a frantic search.

Insurance will prove that you didn't buy them abroad.

I'd take them, wear them and enjoy them. Never had an issue with the room safe, or anything that's ever been left out in the room, for that matter.

Carry your pieces with you in your carry-on, on flights if any, and on and off the ship.

For me, if my jewelry gets lost (more likely than stolen), it's just gone, and insurance money isn't going to replace its sentimental value... but I enjoyed it while I had it!

I think wearing my (few) heirloom pieces to enjoy them is more important than protecting them in a safe, but that's just me. m--

Bless you, I think that is how I was feeling but you said it very well.........will be interesting to see how a lot of others feel as well.

Take your treasures, just be very, very careful. The safe is the only place for them when you are not wearing them. So many distractions, so easy to "misplace" them in your cabin. Tables, drawers, they can fall on the floor, get down behind cushions, resulting in a frantic search.

Insurance will prove that you didn't buy them abroad.

If I don't have insurance, will the old "appraisals" or the like suffice for proof?

I ravel with some pieces I enjoy. I am extremely careful, but figure why own it if I neverr wear it ? Lock it up, when you are not wearring it. , I have ben fine with ship's cabins safes bugt I am very awsare an ddheck often to be sure it is locked . don't walk the street wearing lots of pricey jewelry. That is an invittation fo r trouble. If you want to wear your pretty neck lace to dinner on the ship,,,,,,,,, go ahead,. Put on your lovely bracelet on the ship but not out walking and touring, IMO. I have no ergrets for all the pieces I traveled with, My DH enjoyed seeing me wear it.

Edited by sail7seas

One more comment in our case. We have our high value items appraised and insured at home. They stay in the ships safe when not worn. Since I’m anal I even have a Word document showing all details relating to each item. We have made several purchases on cruises and have asked for a appraisal plus we have the items checked upon our return home. We always buy from Ship Approved stores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I don't have insurance, will the old "appraisals" or the like suffice for proof?

Those should be fine. You just need to be able to prove you didn't just buy them abroad.

Some people with really valuable items register with their home country customs before they go abroad

I ravel with some pieces I enjoy. I am extremely careful, but figure why own someit if I neverr wear it? Lock it up, pay attentiowhne you are not wearring it. , don't walk the street wearing lots of pricey jewelry. That is an invittation fo r trouble. If you want to wear your pretty neck lace to dinner on the ship,,,,,,,,, go ahead,. Put on your lovely bracelet on the ship but not out walking and touring, IMO.

Good idea...ship wearing only not on shore!!

I agree that I wonder why I have it if I never get to wear it!! Thank you.

I'm with the rest - bring them and enjoy. I have a few pieces that are too extravagant to wear on a daily basis, so I bring them on our cruises, knowing I will enjoy putting them on a couple of times. I always have my jewelry in my carry-on bag, and then put them into the safe when we get to our cabin. I also carry a few inexpensive silver pieces to wear in port and on shore excursions. Something to remember - if a port vendor sees you flashing diamonds, gold, and expensive watches, do you think they would be willing to lower their prices?

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Thank you all for your respected advice!

Glad I can wear my items like I wanted to do...and yes, I will be well aware of where they are, keep in carry on, lock them up in the safe, and not wear them on shore. Will take documentation to prove they are mine! And finally get a chance to get to wear them, as I do love the pieces!

Definitely take the pieces that make you feel special.

I do the same. Do make sure they go in your carry on for your flight and boarding.

And of course, keep them in the safe when you are not wearing them. I've never had an issue with the safe on ships at any time.

One trick I learned from another CC member is to take pics of them before packing. Since it's dated it proves you had them before. Or pics of appraisals, etc.

You have received sound advice. Wear your "best" jewelry on board ship, and keep it locked on the safe when on shore. Also, be sure to actually lock the safe--several times we've left our cabin with it closed but unlocked due to forgetfulness! No problems however.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Forums mobile app

On one of my first cruises I did the same thing: left the safe open! I was mortified when I got back from dinner but you know what? Not a thing was touched and the stewards had been in to make up the room. Kudos to those stewards for honesty! But I'll tell you what, I learned my lesson from that and now I ALWAYS double check the safe before leaving the room!

Glad your stuff was okay with your experience. .thx for sharing it.

Life is too short. I bring my very best in a carry-on and lock it in the safe when not wearing. I wear no jewelry in ports but like to wear it on the ship. It makes my husband happy to see the pieces he's purchased for me. I tend to forget to wear it unless he reminds me!

Definitely take the pieces that make you feel special.

I do the same. Do make sure they go in your carry on for your flight and boarding.

And of course, keep them in the safe when you are not wearing them. I've never had an issue with the safe on ships at any time.

One trick I learned from another CC member is to take pics of them before packing. Since it's dated it proves you had them before. Or pics of appraisals, etc.

Thanks for the tip about taking pics - GREAT idea! Never thought of it!

Thanks for the tip about taking pics - GREAT idea! Never thought of it!

Years ago, in a social setting a U.S. customs officer gave me the idea to pho o pieces of jewelry I travel with by layin g them on a newspaper with headline and date visible. That was when w e sent ou t film for developing. The date 'had meaning'. Today, people can set whatever date they want on their phones, if they know how :D , so the phone date may be a little less reliable?

I take mine, and I couldn’t think about leaving my watch and rings at home — I’d probably continually panic I’d lost them! I did take my watch registration card and a photo of my receipts for my rings just in case I had trouble in customs, but that’s it. Used the safe if I was in a port where there was a higher risk of being mugged. Enjoy your jewelry as often as possible!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Years ago, in a social setting a U.S. customs officer gave me the idea to pho o pieces of jewelry I travel with by layin g them on a newspaper with headline and date visible. That was when w e sent ou t film for developing. The date 'had meaning'. Today, people can set whatever date they want on their phones, if they know how :D , so the phone date may be a little less reliable?

Unfortunately I don't get the paper anymore so taking pics of items and their respective receipt/appraisal/info hopefully will suffice....thanks!