Novotel Paris Les Halles - anyone stay here? Opinions appreciated

JimAOk1945

My wife and I are talking about taking a round trip cruise from Le Havre and staying in Paris for a few days prior to the cruise. While doing some research, I came across this hotel. It's rates are reasonable and location looks good.

I've already done some reading on TripAdvisor and looked at pictures. I'm hoping some experienced travelers can tell me about your stay there.

We are thinking about making this trip next summer to celebrate our 52nd wedding anniversary. We would take a standard room.

I have not spoken to our TA yet since we have a few personal issues to settle first.

Thanks in advance. I've always been able to depend on help from Cruise Critic members.

What is Right Bank?

The river Seine runs through Paris. The north side of the river is called the Right Bank (Rive Droite), the south side is called the Left Bank (Rive Gauche). Bank as in "river bank." The river flows from east to west. As you float down the river, the north side bank is on your right.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Paris,+France/@48.8551389,2.3445665,13z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x47e66e1f06e2b70f:0x40b82c3688c9460!8m2!3d48.856614!4d2.3522219?hl=en

Edited by marazul

The river Seine runs through Paris. The north side of the river is called the Right Bank (Rive Droite), the south side is called the Left Bank (Rive Gauche). Bank as in "river bank." The river flows from east to west. As you float down the river, the north side bank is on your right.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Paris,+France/@48.8551389,2.3445665,13z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x47e66e1f06e2b70f:0x40b82c3688c9460!8m2!3d48.856614!4d2.3522219?hl=en

Thanks for taking the time to reply. This is great information and the link is very helpful.

I will expand on my "Right Bank" comment. Like many large cities, Paris is a city of neighborhoods (called Arrondisements). Paris is also divided by a river (Seine) and each side has long been referred to by Right or Left. The Right side is where you find the Louvre, Champs Elysees, etc. The Left Bank is where you have the Latin Quarter, Musee d'Orsay, etc. Historically, the Left Bank was thought of as the more avant garde area...although this is no longer true since there are some pretty trendy Right Bank neighborhoods such as the Marais.

Why does this matter? Many lovers of Paris have their favorite neighborhoods...for various reasons. For me, it would be the Left Bank 5th and 6th (Arrondisements) Latin Quarter/St Germain des Pres area. Others prefer the Right Bank. There is no right or wrong...it is just personal preference.

As to Novotel's (a very large hotel chain) this is also a preference issue. Most Novotel's are relatively modern hotels with rooms and facilities done in a manner consistent with many hotel chains in North America. On the other hand there are many Paris hotels that tend to be in older buildings (some would use the word "character") which are beloved by many seeking a more "European style" hotel. Personally we like Novotels when we are driving around France and want a hotel which usually has free parking and a pool. But when in cities we normally seek out hotels or small inns with "character" in a neighborhood where there are many restaurants (they we find interesting) within walking distance.

Hank

Well put, Hank.

Novotel is a large French hotel chain found all over the world, including the US. Novotels are comparable to Sheratons, with an European feel, of course. The Novotel Les Halles is in a very trendy area. Great location.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hotel+Novotel+Paris+les+Halles/@48.86108,2.3464394,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x47e66e1f37a96d19:0x14e446c32f327a23!8m2!3d48.861013!4d2.346493?hl=en

I can’t tell you how much I appreciate all this wonderful information! It makes planning so much easier when I get first hand opinions from people who have been in the places I am thinking about traveling to.

Please feel free to add to this conversation with anything you think might be helpful.

Will we need to purchase an adapter? I use a CPAP.

All wonderful info thus far as usual to which I can only add that I’ve stayed on both sides, Right and Left Bank almost equally - no wait, once more on the right but that was not in my usual 1st Arrondissment preferred place - and was happy every time. I love the first and this hotel because it’s just right in the center of Paris, near the Opera line and I loved the hotel. Les Halles is very nearby, also convenient for getting around the city and you can’t go wrong with a Novotel.

Don’t overlook the newly hip areas for dining in the 10th & 11th arrondissments too up near Place de la Republique for a great many culinary options or just awesome traditional cafes, boites and such. You’ll also be near Eglise de la Madeleine, very beautiful and quite a great place to photograph. Right then you’re also just about near Place de la Concorde where the Ferris wheel and obelisk are, at one end of Champs Elysées, more spectacular photo ops....if you’re on a hop on hop off bus, hop off, maybe walk up the avenue to Arc de Triomphe and hop back on. It’s quite an unforgettable stroll. You’ll pass the George V hotel along the way, it’s sort of like 5th Avenue only it’s not at all 5th Avenue and that’s my home (nope don’t live on 5th Ave, just was a city dweller!) so it’s worth doing if you feel up to it.

Try to avoid the hawkers outside the many restaurants in the Latin Quarter near St Sulpice. Most just aren’t very good though if you listen to them try to woo you they’d have you think otherwise. It’s the wooing that’s actually the tip-off. Truly good (and still reasonable) food is there in Paris, but those restaurants don’t have persons stand outside and try to yank guests inside to dine there. Maybe a chalk board with the plat du jour (menu for the day, usually a 2-3 course, maybe with a glass of wine) for a set amount. How do you know if a place might be ok? Sometimes a good measure was just taking a moment to listen for how many patrons were speaking French. Don’t worry, most menus have translations and servers also can speak English.

Also always, always remember that if a place or something isn’t ever to your liking, alert them. If they can’t make it right just find another place, there’s no shortage of rooms in Paris, even during high season. Paris is also still not quite yet at its full pre-2015 November tourism numbers though the numbers are of course bouncing back as expected. I speak very frequently to my close friend in Paris who is glad that they are getting there but still sees a difference. Also, while the government star and rosette ratings are quite important to hotels/inns, in today’s online age, guest reviews are equally if not more important.

Maybe also don’t be shy about letting on it’s your anniversary too, especially 52 years!! Congratulations to you both <3

If this is your first visit to Paris and you have more questions, don’t hesitate to ask. Sounds like you’ll use a TA and so be ok but we’re here!

:)

All wonderful info thus far as usual to which I can only add that I’ve stayed on both sides, Right and Left Bank almost equally - no wait, once more on the right but that was not in my usual 1st Arrondissment preferred place - and was happy every time. I love the first and this hotel because it’s just right in the center of Paris, near the Opera line and I loved the hotel. Les Halles is very nearby, also convenient for getting around the city and you can’t go wrong with a Novotel.

Don’t overlook the newly hip areas for dining in the 10th & 11th arrondissments too up near Place de la Republique for a great many culinary options or just awesome traditional cafes, boites and such. You’ll also be near Eglise de la Madeleine, very beautiful and quite a great place to photograph. Right then you’re also just about near Place de la Concorde where the Ferris wheel and obelisk are, at one end of Champs Elysées, more spectacular photo ops....if you’re on a hop on hop off bus, hop off, maybe walk up the avenue to Arc de Triomphe and hop back on. It’s quite an unforgettable stroll. You’ll pass the George V hotel along the way, it’s sort of like 5th Avenue only it’s not at all 5th Avenue and that’s my home (nope don’t live on 5th Ave, just was a city dweller!) so it’s worth doing if you feel up to it.

Try to avoid the hawkers outside the many restaurants in the Latin Quarter near St Sulpice. Most just aren’t very good though if you listen to them try to woo you they’d have you think otherwise. It’s the wooing that’s actually the tip-off. Truly good (and still reasonable) food is there in Paris, but those restaurants don’t have persons stand outside and try to yank guests inside to dine there. Maybe a chalk board with the plat du jour (menu for the day, usually a 2-3 course, maybe with a glass of wine) for a set amount. How do you know if a place might be ok? Sometimes a good measure was just taking a moment to listen for how many patrons were speaking French. Don’t worry, most menus have translations and servers also can speak English.

Also always, always remember that if a place or something isn’t ever to your liking, alert them. If they can’t make it right just find another place, there’s no shortage of rooms in Paris, even during high season. Paris is also still not quite yet at its full pre-2015 November tourism numbers though the numbers are of course bouncing back as expected. I speak very frequently to my close friend in Paris who is glad that they are getting there but still sees a difference. Also, while the government star and rosette ratings are quite important to hotels/inns, in today’s online age, guest reviews are equally if not more important.

Maybe also don’t be shy about letting on it’s your anniversary too, especially 52 years!! Congratulations to you both <3

If this is your first visit to Paris and you have more questions, don’t hesitate to ask. Sounds like you’ll use a TA and so be ok but we’re here!

A few years ago, while visiting family in Berlin, hubby and I booked an Air France flight round trip Berlin-Paris. Left Berlin around 1pm Friday, got to hotel Ibis Style at Place de la Republique around 5. Rode Metro to all our fav tourist stops Saturday ( Montmartre, Gallerie Lafayette (dept. store), Champs Elysee, et.), people watched at several cafes on Place de la Republique Sat night, Sunday went to Notre Dame cathedral, even caught part of service, checked out of hotel, caught 3pm flight back to Berlin. Whole adventure cost about $700. We do all our own travel bookings, but it was well worth it.

Hotel was small, but clean, breakfast included. Location could not be beat (appr $130/night). We even caught Fete de la Musique (June 21 celebration) down the street at a canal. Purposely don't fly discount airlines to make best use of time w regularly scheduled carriers. And most major airlines are priced in the 'ballpark'.

Edited by cwsdks48

A few years ago, while visiting family in Berlin, hubby and I booked an Air France flight round trip Berlin-Paris. Left Berlin around 1pm Friday, got to hotel Ibis Style at Place de la Republique around 5. Rode Metro to all our fav tourist stops Saturday ( Montmartre, Gallerie Lafayette (dept. store), Champs Elysee, et.), people watched at several cafes on Place de la Republique Sat night, Sunday went to Notre Dame cathedral, even caught part of service, checked out of hotel, caught 3pm flight back to Berlin. Whole adventure cost about $700. We do all our own travel bookings, but it was well worth it.

Hotel was small, but clean, breakfast included. Location could not be beat (appr $130/night). We even caught Fete de la Musique (June 21 celebration) down the street at a canal. Purposely don't fly discount airlines to make best use of time w regularly scheduled carriers. And most major airlines are priced in the 'ballpark'.

The Ibis also work well for reliable accomdations, yes definitely an ok price. I think they are or were connected to etap, which had cost a bit less but was likewise clean, safe and reliable. I stayed at etaps in the Loire Valley in Blois and another at CDG. The night at CDG was incredibly stressful but that is a long story; it helped that I could check into the etap to rest before my flight out in the early morning so that says a lot about the business. My stress was at a 14 on a scale of 1-10.

And yes, I’m not capitalizing etap on purpose, that was how they branded the property. But they were the hamburger to the ibis steak and it was ok.

I did the reverse trip from Paris to Berlin on Lufthansa for a week, I think it cost only €93 at the time but the exchange rate wasn’t as favorable and I splurged a wee bit in Berlin (only a 3***) because we kind of roughed it in Rostock and Güstrow, I needed a few comforts.

The flights were likewise seamless from Tegel to Orly and you know what? I checked the prices from home in Brooklyn; it would have cost me more to book it whilst in the US so my friends in Paris booked it with their TA for much less. I’ve learned that intra-Europe gets offered *within* Europe at better rates and I kind of understand why. Only difference in my “reverse trip” was me not jumping on trams or buses etc because after a long time ago S-bahn mishap in the way outskirts of Munich, and me being fairly unable to speak German w/no English in the countryside I thought, stay off the transit! :D (made it to the gasthaus eventually....)

I found hotels/inns in great locations at amazing prices from British or European friends that I never would have known of (never!) if they’d not discovered them in their own country. The proof? Nary an American booked in the place beside me during peak season and not one search engine here turns up the place. They’re not advertising here but they are in other countries. So now I just do searches using international booking sites to see what hotels I can track down that I never see on the usual websites we use here. If cookies or tracers are giving my location away I can just pop into a VPN and fool them into thinking my IP address is from another country.

The more you travel, talk and meet people, the more you learn. Rarely does “location” or “price” not matter and so the more options one has, the better the choices might possibly be when choosing a place to stay. Maybe not all the time, since it can require a lot of extra effort. But, when there is time to dig in and search, there’s often a great reward of some sort at the end of the search whether it’s a dynamite location or a super price or both.

There might also be an irresistibly priced “mini break” deal posted in some window too, jet off to Majorca for two nights or something,,,who knows. Might be hectic but for some, that’s part of the appeal, another quick destination stop someplace new.

You just gotta be out there exploring, soaking in the place, the people, food and culture/history. A friend of mine is a pilot and on a layover in Paris when it was Nuit Blanche (an annual open indoor/outdoor music arts festival in autumn) and he didn’t even know it, but what a night to arrive! No need to search for things to do, it was everywhere :cool: That’s almost Paris ANY day, but so often there’s things going on that are even more. Paris is everything :)

And yes, I’m not capitalizing etap on purpose, that was how they branded the property. But they were the hamburger to the ibis steak and it was ok.

Well Ibis would be kind of a tough little steak, not filet mignon. :D Ibis has clean, serviceable, spartan rooms with thin towels and good, not plush, beds. Value for money.

Ibis is a budget brand of Accor hotels, which also owns Novotel, Sofitel and Fairmont.

https://www.accorhotels.com/gb/usa/index.shtml Go to the Menu and look for "Our brands."

• 5 months later...
My wife and I are talking about taking a round trip cruise from Le Havre and staying in Paris for a few days prior to the cruise. While doing some research, I came across this hotel. It's rates are reasonable and location looks good.

I've already done some reading on TripAdvisor and looked at pictures. I'm hoping some experienced travelers can tell me about your stay there.

We are thinking about making this trip next summer to celebrate our 52nd wedding anniversary. We would take a standard room.

I have not spoken to our TA yet since we have a few personal issues to settle first.

Thanks in advance. I've always been able to depend on help from Cruise Critic members.

Following

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

IIRC, etap got rebranded as Ibis Budget., which is kind of the equivalent of the private room in a youth hostel. There are also Ibis (typically a concrete box with IKEA-like furniture) and Ibis Styles, which has a little more theme/artistic bent and typically also is breakfast-included.

Ibis is all over the place in France, likely because most of them have air conditioning, which can be a rarity in other hotels in that price band.

• 2 weeks later...