O's Reading Room coming to all sailings

albingirl

I don't see why this would require a dedicated staff person, and if it did, I'm sure they would have other responsibilities, not just the book club.

Roz

Time and group dynamic facilitation skills. Something I assume the trained librarians in the past possessed. Will the CD have first read the book?

Because I drive so litle, I have not investigted, recently about using a neighboring community's library. I did inquire years ago and perhaps the rules have changed. If I choose to drive more this spring, it is something for me to look into.

In CT any town's library card permits you to use any library - including ordering books from throughout the state if what you want is not at your local library. The only limitation I have experienced is that you can only be put on wait list (for a book currently out) at your own town's library.

In November on the Eurodam, the book club was lead by the cruise director. It featured the O book selection "Anything is Possible".[/quote

Just curious, had the cruise director read the book?

I wish our CD on the VOD had read just the daily programs -- and proof read them. Never seen so many errors. But he was new and probably a little overwhelmed at the number of daily tasks he faced in that position. Nice guy, but the misinformation officially put out was sometimes critical.

I also abhor the celebrity worship that seems so prevalent these days. But I guess the PTB at HAL think they can get some marketing value out of connections like this. The good news is I can ignore the O merchandise or reading room. And it isn't like summer camp where they make you do "fun activities." Nobody is going to drag passengers to the "breathe" sessions or the lifestyle advice lectures.

I would find Gwyneth Paltrow more annoying. Or, heaven forfend, Martha Stewart!

Of course, celebrity worship has become so ingrained in our culture that "fame" (almost regardless of its roots) seems to be a qualification for elected government office.

If I read a book that's on the O Book Club's recommended reading list, how is that celebrity worship?

Roz

Sent from my SM-S820L using Forums mobile app

I don't think reading a recommended book is necessarily celebrity worship. But there is a sense of "I'm famous, you should do what I say" about some celebrities. NOT JUST OPRAH. All sorts of celebrities have their own fashion lines--some actually do get involved in their products, but I'd be willing to bet many do nothing beyond a shrug and an "ok." But they're famous so people want to follow along.

Even people who don't actively recommend things are followed by hordes of people just because they're famous. Duchess of Cambridge wears a new dress or Prince George is photographed wearing a cute sweater on his way to first day of school and those items are sold out in the blink of an eye.

So HAL is trying to capitalize on a tendency of people to take notice when celebrities endorse things. It isn't new, it's just become amped up in recent years. (Anyone old enough to remember when Sir Laurence Olivier did a commercial for Polaroid?)

If I read a book that's on the O Book Club's recommended reading list, how is that celebrity worship?

Roz

Sent from my SM-S820L using Forums mobile app

I think it is HAL management who is engaging in celebrity worship, thinking tying the entire cruise line to a single "celebrity" is a good marketing niche. Time will tell whether this was a good management decision or not. Meanwhile we are all in the dark about the underlying contract, management's intent, and final benefit or not to the bottom line. All we can do it express our own pros and cons. Or neutrality.

The change in the "library" in fact did make us vote with our pocketbook on a previously booked Westerdam cruise and that had nothing to do with the Oprah branding. The Oprah branding will not matter to our own future cruise decisions, unless her healthy living demands take away the powder sugar donuts. Rejecting a sole personality branding in my case if purely based upon the particular personality, my own local experiences with her, and her politics. She is not a benign choices - she comes with both baggage as well as a certain niche appeal.

I don't like being asked to "endorse" her pervasive presence now on my own vacations, that I pay for. HAL is going to need to keep offering other areas of quality and enticements to keep me cruising with them - and so far they have. But all things being equal, I would never choose to pay for an Oprah-themed cruise ship if all things were equal elsewhere. Will there be enough others who will ...all things being equal .....that is managements task to find out.

Kathy Lee did become the face of Carnival Fun ships - that was a successful marketing ploy. Anita Bryant did become the face for Florida orange juice until her personal politics got in the way of her overall marketing effectiveness. Will the Oprah mystique now become the face of Holland America Cruise Lines? I am sure management hopes so. It was their decision to give this sole personality branding a try.

Like I have said, I would have rather seen Rick Steves get the job because he fits the value travel niche far better than Oprah and her own admitted very public struggles with her own weight and luxury private jet travel image does for me, if HAL wants to go down this road associating a single face with the HAL travel experience.

Of course, celebrity worship has become so ingrained in our culture that "fame" (almost regardless of its roots) seems to be a qualification for elected government office.

So HAL is trying to capitalize on a tendency of people to take notice when celebrities endorse things. It isn't new, it's just become amped up in recent years. (Anyone old enough to remember when Sir Laurence Olivier did a commercial for Polaroid?)

I completely agree -- most people act as if this so called "cult of personality" is something new. It's been with us forever. One could argue that Julius Caesar is one of the most famous examples of this and a master practitioner of spin. Although from a relatively undistinguished family he did everything possible to ingratiate himself with the "people" -- including spending huge amounts of money on public entertainments -- in order to climb the ladder of elected political positions in Rome.

Do we really think mob mentality, hero worship, etc. is anything new? For many centuries and in many countries those "heroes" were usually military. Now they come from other spheres. Is one any better than another? Hard to say.... For every George Washington, there's a Ulysses Grant who knew little about politics before being elected President and whose time in office was marred by scandals.

(As a side note, one wonders if Ronald Reagan could have been elected to the highest office today, after being a celebrity spokesman for decades for one of the worst of the tobacco companies... [in regards to covering up the true health effects of smoking])

[quuy anote=sail7seas;55640334]How will a "" reading room make HAL money except if some eagere fan buys a ton of "O things in the shops.

I never saw anyone buy anything in there but that's not to say it didn't happen. Guess I'll take my kindle onboard, ignore the "O"and carry on. If somebody enjoys it, good for them.

[quuy anote=sail7seas;55640334]How will a "" reading room make HAL money except if some eagere fan buys a ton of "O things in the shops.

I never saw anyone buy anything in there but that's not to say it didn't happen. Guess I'll take my kindle onboard, ignore the "O"and carry on. If somebody enjoys it, good for them.

Indeed, :)

I wonder though if there are some who might book an HAL cruise for the chance to have an "O experience with one of her thought directors or in a book club opportunity. that would surprise me but. ;)

I wonder though if there are some who might book an HAL cruise for the chance to have an "O experience with one of her thought directors or in a book club opportunity. that would surprise me but. ;)

probably not....its not a heavy influence onboard yet. Not the greatest audience for her, anyway. Wrong age group. Sorry everyone for that observation, but it's true.

probably not....its not a heavy influence onboard yet. Not the greatest audience for her, anyway. Wrong age group. Sorry everyone for that observation, but it's true.

Oprah's recent movie targeting younger audiences has apparently bombed too - Wrinkle in Time - full of Oprah New Age stuff from reviews I have read. Took a story line from a popular children's book, but the Oprah touch changed it enough to turn it into a disappointment for all - those that loved the book, and those that were not won over by the Oprah version of it. I suspect it will be screening on a HAL "O" ship near you very soon.

She is rapidly veering towards over-exposure. Take the money where you can and run with it is also smart business too, particularly when you get other people to put up the money.

Don’t apologize! I’m assuming you mean we are older and wiser. Lol.

probably not....its not a heavy influence onboard yet. Not the greatest audience for her, anyway. Wrong age group. Sorry everyone for that observation, but it's true.p

Oprah's recent movie targeting younger audiences has apparently bombed too - Wrinkle in Time - full of Oprah New Age stuff from reviews I have read. Took a story line from a popular children's book, but the Oprah touch changed it enough to turn it into a disappointment for all - those that loved the book, and those that were not won over by the Oprah version of it. I suspect it will be screening on a HAL "O" ship near you very soon.

She is rapidly veering towards over-exposure. Take the money where you can and run with it is also smart business too, particularly when you get other people to put up the money.

So you’re blaming the movie not doing well on one actor rather than the writer of the screenplay, the producer or the director?? Seriously? Seek help.

So you’re blaming the movie not doing well on one actor rather than the writer of the screenplay, the producer or the director?? Seriously? Seek help.

Huh? Go back and read what was reported - it was the re-writing that reviewers claim made the movie bomb; not who was asked to read the lines.

Huh? Go back and read what was reported - it was the re-writing that reviewers claim made the movie bomb; not who was asked to read the lines.

And what does the writing of it have to do with Oprah? She was just an actor. She did not write it, produce it or direct it. It’s a Disney production.

Thank you, I get it. :)

HMMM If I have an e-book membership, can I find out the Title of the Oprah book for my sailing ahead of time?

Or is the book on sale like wine: you can’t bring it on board because it cuts into the profits.

(I know I can bring a bottle on board, just using this as an example)

Also in the past the librarians book club gave us the book, and it was usually crappy. I know, I’m an ingrate.;p

Has anyone read the book? Do the book club meetings on-board start in May? I'm booked to sail May 1st on the Zaandam. Perhaps I'll phone Holland America and see if they know if my cruise will have a meeting.

Thanks!

They had them on my sailing last week so they have already started. :) I hope you enjoy it!

Don’t apologize! I’m assuming you mean we are older and wiser. Lol.

Of course! Thanks.:)

Like I have said, I would have rather seen Rick Steves get the job because he fits the value travel niche far better than Oprah and her own admitted very public struggles with her own weight and luxury private jet travel image does for me, if HAL wants to go down this road associating a single face with the HAL travel experience.

I am surprised that someone who dislikes Oprah would prefer an advocate for the legalization of marijuana.