Drink prices on Wind Star

marycang

You must note that the posters you are referencing, including the one stating they purchased a package for $45 per day that included wine, beer, premium liquor, water and soda, date back to 2008. I have been sailing on Windstar since 1988 and I don't remember ever seeing such a package, but admittedly, don't recall looking for one.

I don't believe any such package is currently available, though on the Windstar in July, after the second day or so, there was a sign up in the bar on the aft deck advertising soda packages. It was outrageously high; as I recall over $35 a day, but could have been more, don't remember.

Yup, 6rugrats, I did see that those posts were from 2008, and that's exactly why I'm wondering if anyone has any more current info. $35 for soda IS outrageously high... I can't imagine ANYONE drinking enough juice/soda to make that worthwhile. And the $18 wine-at-dinner & $45/day unlimited drinks packages actually sound high to me as well, but if they were to run a good deal on such things, I might take them up on it!

Having sailed with Regent in May, I can say it WAS really wonderful to never have to sign a bar check or worry about how much my bar bill would be. We didn't really drink that much, and I'm sure the increased cost for the cruise was way more than we drank, but it just felt really luxurious to never have to worry about that. Don't know why that seems like such a big deal, but it was nicer than I could have guessed it would be. We wondered idly if Regent wasn't saving more in reduced bookkeeping/accounting/customer service costs to cover the cost of the drinks! Maybe not, but it sure took that one hassle away from everyone (passengers/servers/bartenders/accountants/front desk people having to deal with incorrect billings, etc.).

• 1 month later...

Here are their current packages:

All-inclusive beverage Packages:

US $45.00 per person, per day

Unlimited premium cocktails, wines* and champagnes, imported and domestic beers, soft drinks,

bottled water and mini-bar beverages (special promotions of multiple cocktails not included).

Non-Alcoholic beverage Package

US $18.00 per person, per day

Unlimited non-alcoholic wines and beers, “virgin” cocktails, soft drinks, bottled water and mini-bar

beverages (excludes alcoholic beverages).

Wine, beer and Soft Drink Package

US $38.00 per person, per day

Unlimited wines*, champagnes, imported and domestic beers, soft drinks, bottled water and mini-bar

beverages (excludes liquor).

Wine with Meals Packages

Unlimited consumption of wines* and champagnes during meals.

• With lunch: US $9.00 per person, per day

• With dinner: US $18.00 per person, per day

• With lunch and dinner: US $23.00 per person, per day

Above packages are based on unlimited consumption, including drinks with meals. Premium cocktails are based on a maximum

price of US $6.50 per drink. All packages may be purchased only for the full length of the cruise. If purchased once on board,

the package must be purchased on the first day of the cruise.

*Wine and champagne selections based on bottles of up to US $30.00. (Choose from “By the Glass” list - $7 and under or

Bottle list $30 and under, glass only not a bottle. If ordering a selection over the above listed limits, guest will be charged for full

amount.) Mini-bar consumption does not include snacks.

All package prices inclusive of applicable taxes. Please note that all beverages are subject to a 15% gratuity.

Windstar Cruises must be advised of all beverage package and cocktail party requests at least 15 days prior to departure in

order to ensure availability.

So a diet coke is $3.25 plus 15% so more that $3.50 for a soft drink you can get for a buck from any vending machine? The booze prices don't seem outrageous but paying over $3 for soft drinks and water is crazy. Do they allow you to bring your own soft drinks on board? :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

Hampshireland's prices are still the same as of last week 11/9/09. That's what we paid. We also were able to buy local wines that were drinkable for 5 to 8 euros, believe it or not. (Even one very good one in Corsica for 3 euros!) We could drink in our cabin or bring a glass to the lounge or pay the $15 corkage to bring the bottle to the dining rooms.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone - I have just booked the Windsurf for 17 January from Barbados. The problem is my husband likes a drink and I drink occasionally, so do you think Windsurf would let my hubby purchase the $45 all inclusive package by himself??, ie what would stop him ordering drinks for me also???

Thanks

Sandy

Hello everyone - I have just booked the Windsurf for 17 January from Barbados. The problem is my husband likes a drink and I drink occasionally, so do you think Windsurf would let my hubby purchase the $45 all inclusive package by himself??, ie what would stop him ordering drinks for me also???

Thanks

Sandy

Nothing would stop him from ordering you drinks. However, you will be charged separately for them if you also do not purchase this package; the all inclusive drink package price is for ONE person. The staff will be well aware of who has the all inclusive package and who does not.

Edited by 6rugrats

• 3 years later...

Beverage Packages:

• Option 1:
    • Unlimited premium cocktails, wines and champagnes, imported and domestic beers, soft drinks and bottled water. $54 per person, per day.

[*]Option 2:

• Unlimited non-alcoholic wines and beers, “virgin” cocktails, soft drinks, and bottled water. $18 per person, per day.

Beverage Package Terms:

• Beverage packages must be booked on the first day of the cruise at the reception desk.
  • Beverage packages are based on unlimited consumption, including drinks with meals.
  • Wine and champagne selections based on wine by the glass up to $11.50 per glass.
  • Mini-bar consumption is not included.
  • Super Premium Cognacs and Deluxe Cognacs not included.
  • Both guests in a cabin must purchase beverage packages.
  • All package prices inclusive of applicable taxes.
  • All beverage packages are subject to a 15% gratuity.

My hubby and I have cruised on many "floating cities" over the years - but since we started sailing our own boat 5 years ago - the big boats just don't quite do it for us anymore. We often are gazing at charter sailboats at ports (even visiting the marinas to talk to fellow sailors) and wishing we were on them. We did try to get a few other sailing mates to charter out of the Grenadines this winter, but no one is able to afford it, and I don't fancy doing it on my own as I do enjoy the aspect of larger cruises, and the many people we met onboard and have made long lasting friendships with over the years we've cruised . So, now I'm looking at Windstar as a possible inbetween sailing option (won't have to cook <lol>). Tho' I doubt we'll have any heeling like we would with a sailboat. Correct me if I'm wrong <lol>.

So, reading this thread has made me feel more comfortable with perhaps going ahead with booking our trip. All depends on how our present search on land here goes for our next sailboat (upgrading, we have '2 footitize') and if we can afford a trip down south (I will find away - had no winter break last year - and felt cheated).

Just curious if there anyone here that also owns a sailboat like ourselves and enjoys the pampering of a larger sailboat with Windstar?

Anna from Montreal aka FatCatAnna - The Trials and Tribulations of a Diabetic

There will be no heeling like a sailboat on Windstar as the ship has computer controlled sails and ballast. It is more of motor yacht with sails (that power the ship alone about 10 - 20% of the time) than a sailboat. Star Clipper is another option and it is more of a sailing experience -- you even get to help pull up the sails.

As someone who has been sailing since 1981, has captained 8 bareboat charters in the BVI, and owns a 27-ft boat, I like both Windstar and Star Clipper. But Star Clipper will give you more of the feel of being on a sail boat, while Windstar will be more luxurious.

Beverage Packages:

• Option 1:
    • Unlimited premium cocktails, wines and champagnes, imported and domestic beers, soft drinks and bottled water. $54 per person, per day.

[*]Option 2:

• Unlimited non-alcoholic wines and beers, “virgin” cocktails, soft drinks, and bottled water. $18 per person, per day.

Beverage Package Terms:

• Beverage packages must be booked on the first day of the cruise at the reception desk.
  • Beverage packages are based on unlimited consumption, including drinks with meals.
  • Wine and champagne selections based on wine by the glass up to $11.50 per glass.
  • Mini-bar consumption is not included.
  • Super Premium Cognacs and Deluxe Cognacs not included.
  • Both guests in a cabin must purchase beverage packages.
  • All package prices inclusive of applicable taxes.
  • All beverage packages are subject to a 15% gratuity.

Soda and bottled water is already included in the cruise fare. We were also never charged for juice, specialty coffees or any non-alcoholic drinks, so I'm not sure if this info is current.

This is still on their web site as of tonight (Aug. 4, 2013).

http://www.windstarcruises.com/lifeonboard.aspx

Your Windstar Voyage Includes:

• All meals in all venues at all times, including 24-hour room service
  • All non-alcoholic beverages, including cappuccino, espresso, and other specialty non-alcoholic drinks
  • Welcome cocktails at reception
  • All onboard entertainment
  • Unlimited use of Fitness Center
  • Unlimited use of all water sports equipment
  • Informative port lectures and destination briefings

If they have changed their policy since I bought our cruise, I feel cheated.

• 4 years later...

You've asked your question on an old post with very outdated information. (And post #33 may have copied the beverage package from some other line in error - we sailed on Windstar in 2005 and there was no charge for non-alcoholic beverages so the info doesn't seem likely.)

The current beverage package info is at:

https://www.windstarcruises.com/voyage-plan/faqs/#BeveragePackages

Generally, it seems that if a person had 4 drinks a day at about the maximum price per drink covered by the package, one would be just over break even. More likely it takes 5 drinks per day for the beverage package to be cheaper than buying by the drink.