TAKEN SHOPPER in Hong Kong

LAFF9004

Hong Kong was great except for my being charged twice the price for an Olympus camera. Yes, my fault for not knowing the correct price but just be very aware of prices there. AVOID: MYER Photo and Audio Co. Ltd. which is located in central Hong Kong at 51-52 Hiaphong Road. Do go to the jade market!:mad:

Hong Kong was great except for my being charged twice the price for an Olympus camera. Yes, my fault for not knowing the correct price but just be very aware of prices there. AVOID: MYER Photo and Audio Co. Ltd. which is located in central Hong Kong at 51-52 Hiaphong Road. Do go to the jade market!:mad:

Good advice. Do your homework-know the price of the exact article your want before you leave home. This includes model number and any accessories. Watches, cameras, electronic equipment are subject to slight variations the greatly alter the price. I am not sure that the bargains once available are still there. When I first went to HOng Kong (1960) there were bargains to be had. Recently (2008), I found that I could buy items on "on-line" stores at a lower price. I happened to be in a watch store at the same time as the Regional Manager for Citizen watches. He told me that local retailers could not match the price I showed him (hard copy) from an online store located in the US. Also used to be able to buy GErman made toy trains (Marklin) much cheaper in HK than elsewhere-not true anymore.

Do go to the Jade Market but again do not expect to "steal" anything. They are the experts.;)

Sorry to hear, gone are the days where electronics and other higher end stuff is cheaper in the far east. It may all be made there and you'd think they would be cheaper but as a rule many are not, plus you have all the issues when you buy overseas that warranties, service and repairs may likely NOT be honored in your home country. If one finds a deal, be careful as if it is a deal, it likely "you" that isn't getting it :mad: Now if its something umm counterfit well those are things you can find extensively there and totally not in the US and those are "deals" but buyer beware brining those deals in the US.

I've visted several electronics supermalls in Maylasia, Sinapore, China, Japan, Taiwan, Thailand and honestly there is no deal once you factor all the service/repair for anything of any signifcant $ value.

Carefully shopping ;)

We bought 3 camaras and 1 video camara in one of the shops in Oceanterminal. (the name China.......???)

We had a good deal.

The new sony camara 170Euros, in NY 250$ and here in Europe nearly 400Euros.

A very tiny sony video camara 250E,

We paid 770 EUros for the hole lot and in other shops they asked for much more.

You have to go early in the morning, because the first sale is the lucky sale hahhahahha you can bargain more then ever.

If they dont give you a good price, you just walk out, they will be behind you. Thats the way, because you can carry on puting the price down.

good luck:D

Archived