Hydrofoil between Vung Tau and Saigon

Goof3

Hello; We will be on Legend of the Seas Exotic Asia in November 2010, and are scheduled to dock overnight in Vung Tau port (7am Nov. 15 to 5pm Nov. 16). Therefore I am considering staying overnight in Saigon and am looking into the best options for transportation between the port and the city.

Has anyone used the hydrofoil recently? The information I've found on this board says that the ships actively discourage passengers from using it, but this is mainly from a few years ago and I wondered if anything has changed (for better or for worse). It does seem like the fastest option.

The ship offers transportation but it is only for one day. Would it safest to avoid the hydrofoil and try to get together a group from our roll call to book transportation by road? Our roll call isn't terribly busy yet but hopefully that will change as time goes on.

Thanks to anybody who has some recent experiences to share.

Hello; We will be on Legend of the Seas Exotic Asia in November 2010, and are scheduled to dock overnight in Vung Tau port (7am Nov. 15 to 5pm Nov. 16). Therefore I am considering staying overnight in Saigon and am looking into the best options for transportation between the port and the city.

Has anyone used the hydrofoil recently? The information I've found on this board says that the ships actively discourage passengers from using it, but this is mainly from a few years ago and I wondered if anything has changed (for better or for worse). It does seem like the fastest option.

The ship offers transportation but it is only for one day. Would it safest to avoid the hydrofoil and try to get together a group from our roll call to book transportation by road? Our roll call isn't terribly busy yet but hopefully that will change as time goes on.

Haven't used the hydrofoil, but they zipped past every hour or so as we cruised up the Saigon River last month. The berth at Bach Dang is very convenient to the compact city centre.

Did RCI say why they discouraged its use?

Not biting into their over-priced shuttle-bus trade, I hope?

Or am I being cynical? :rolleyes:

John Bull

We used the hydofoil service both ways two years ago Going into Saigon was not a problem after we learned where to get the hydrofoil. On the other hand, coming back was a little more bothersome. The particular boat that we used kept overheating and we would stop in the "river" and tie up to a buoy while (or is that whilst) the engine cooled. That made for a rather worrisome trip in that we had a ship to catch. Other hydrofoils passed us and I thought we might get some help; did not happen:mad:

Haven't used the hydrofoil, but they zipped past every hour or so as we cruised up the Saigon River last month. The berth at Bach Dang is very convenient to the compact city centre.

Did RCI say why they discouraged its use?

Not biting into their over-priced shuttle-bus trade, I hope?

Or am I being cynical? :rolleyes:

John Bull

It wasn't specifically a RCI thing. I found a few posts from a few years back (not on this particular board) from people who had been on a Princess cruise and they said that the hydrofoils had a bad reputation for breaking down or getting caught up in fishing nets. Or at least that's what the cruise lines were saying, and they were actively trying to keep people from using them.

The tour company I contacted in Saigon suggested that the hydrofoil was a good choice and you would hope they would know. I also noticed that they berth close to the city centre, which would be convenient. I just wondered if anybody knew just how frequent these break-downs really are.

thanks;

Chris

We used the hydofoil service both ways two years ago Going into Saigon was not a problem after we learned where to get the hydrofoil. On the other hand, coming back was a little more bothersome. The particular boat that we used kept overheating and we would stop in the "river" and tie up to a buoy while (or is that whilst) the engine cooled. That made for a rather worrisome trip in that we had a ship to catch. Other hydrofoils passed us and I thought we might get some help; did not happen:mad:

That's the sort of thing I wondered about. It's the kind of adventure that I don't mind too much in principle but not when my ship is about to leave without me. I'm glad you made it back in time! Were you docked in Vung Tau? Was the hydrofoil terminal very far from there? Did the cruise line warn you not to use it? Would you use it again if you went back?

From what I've read it sounds like the hydrofoils are all pretty old and not necessarily well-maintained. Also, I believe there are at least 2 different companies so maybe the ones that passed you were the competition :).

Thanks very much for your input;

Chris

As someone who has spent a lot of time in Vietnam and Cambodia for business, I definitely do not recommend using the hydrofoil on your return to Vung Tau.

Going into Saigon-you have a lot of time, especially if it is an overnight port stop. Going back-the hydrofoils break down a lot, they get caught in fishing nets a lot. Save your sanity and find a land transfer BACK to the ship.

As someone who has spent a lot of time in Vietnam and Cambodia for business, I definitely do not recommend using the hydrofoil on your return to Vung Tau.

Going into Saigon-you have a lot of time, especially if it is an overnight port stop. Going back-the hydrofoils break down a lot, they get caught in fishing nets a lot. Save your sanity and find a land transfer BACK to the ship.

Thank you greatam, this is very helpful advice and I think I will take it. I can arrange with a tour company for round-trip transportation and it seems like the most sensible idea. I also came across a news article from November which showed a fairly serious collision between 2 of the hydrofoils, it wasn't pretty and apparently isn't the first time it's happened.

Chris

we were on LotS last year and were also supposed to dock/anchor at Vung Tau. So we booked and paid for hydrofoil tickets. Was to have been one of the cruise highlights for us.

Unfortunately we went further up river to dock at Phu My and ended up having to get a ship's tour into Saigon. Online itinerary showed Vung Tau until we sailed.

Only notice of change of port was on shorex brouchures onboard and as we had no intention of using any ships tours we hadn't bothered to look. not sure how we found out but there were a lot of unhappy campers who had arranged either hydrofoil tiockets or private tours from Vung Tau.

We just wrote the money off but I know some vocal cruisers got the ship to reimburse what they'd paid and lost!

Moral of the story - check the shorex brochure as soon as you board as any changes of where the ship will dock will be there and nowhere else

That's the sort of thing I wondered about. It's the kind of adventure that I don't mind too much in principle but not when my ship is about to leave without me. I'm glad you made it back in time! Were you docked in Vung Tau? Was the hydrofoil terminal very far from there? Did the cruise line warn you not to use it? Would you use it again if you went back?

From what I've read it sounds like the hydrofoils are all pretty old and not necessarily well-maintained. Also, I believe there are at least 2 different companies so maybe the ones that passed you were the competition :).

Thanks very much for your input;

Chris

We were in Vung Tau-Container port actually-Ship shuttle to town. Directions from locals/shuttle driver had us walking in wrong direction for hydrofoil-Lots of "pedal" cabs available to take us in wrong direction:rolleyes:.

We are going back this year (Phu My and Nha Trang) and will not take the hydrofoil. We have set up a tour with other members of CC roll call for our cruise in Phu My and will just walk the beach in Nha Trang.

we were on LotS last year and were also supposed to dock/anchor at Vung Tau. So we booked and paid for hydrofoil tickets. Was to have been one of the cruise highlights for us.

Unfortunately we went further up river to dock at Phu My and ended up having to get a ship's tour into Saigon. Online itinerary showed Vung Tau until we sailed.

Only notice of change of port was on shorex brouchures onboard and as we had no intention of using any ships tours we hadn't bothered to look. not sure how we found out but there were a lot of unhappy campers who had arranged either hydrofoil tiockets or private tours from Vung Tau.

We just wrote the money off but I know some vocal cruisers got the ship to reimburse what they'd paid and lost!

Moral of the story - check the shorex brochure as soon as you board as any changes of where the ship will dock will be there and nowhere else

Oh, thanks very much for mentioning this! It sounds like Phu My is a newer port and a little closer to Saigon. I think I would be pretty annoyed too if I made arrangements from one port and they went to another at the last minute! I will contact RCI as the time gets closer and see if they will commit to one or the other.

I will contact RCI as the time gets closer and see if they will commit to one or the other.

Just an FYI-they can't commit much before 24 hours pre port. Phu My is the new port, Vung Tau the old port. A lot depends on the water levels and how many container/commercial ships need dockage. The cruise ships are docked for at least 24 hours, as a general rule. Ties up the commercial docks which are in and out in 8 hours for the smaller ships, 12-14 for the larger container ships. Like much of Vietnam business, it is a "fluid" situation. IF you book a tour with a reputable tour company, THEY will keep a close eye on which port you will dock in.

PS-I chased two of my containers from dock to dock for almost 32 hours a year ago. Phu My was only "partially" open, Vung Tau was full of ships. I bet the Captain of the ship my containers were going on was really po'd. He had to dock at both of them, back and forth. Some containers in Phu My, some in Vung Tau-then the containers would get moved to the other port and the chase was on. A VERY Vietnamese experience.

Just an FYI-they can't commit much before 24 hours pre port. Phu My is the new port, Vung Tau the old port. A lot depends on the water levels and how many container/commercial ships need dockage. The cruise ships are docked for at least 24 hours, as a general rule. Ties up the commercial docks which are in and out in 8 hours for the smaller ships, 12-14 for the larger container ships. Like much of Vietnam business, it is a "fluid" situation. IF you book a tour with a reputable tour company, THEY will keep a close eye on which port you will dock in.

PS-I chased two of my containers from dock to dock for almost 32 hours a year ago. Phu My was only "partially" open, Vung Tau was full of ships. I bet the Captain of the ship my containers were going on was really po'd. He had to dock at both of them, back and forth. Some containers in Phu My, some in Vung Tau-then the containers would get moved to the other port and the chase was on. A VERY Vietnamese experience.

Well, you certainly lead a more exciting life than I do :). Thanks very much for this information, it will be very useful to know when I am contacting tour operators.

..... and will just walk the beach in Nha Trang.

If at Nha Trang you're going to take the day off from temples & the like, and you're docked at the southern end of town, you may like to consider the island pleasure park of Vinpearl.

Accessed by an impressive cable-car over the bay (and over your ship!), and with the cable-car station just a ten-minute walk from the dock, it has a small amusement park (roller-coaster, gallopers etc), good aquarium, excellent waterpark & super beach.

Beautifully laid-out

The whole deal at about $15 pp.

Hardly "Vietnam", but a very pleasant diversion.

John Bull

• 1 month later...

John, Thanks for the info on Nha Trang. Your suggestion sounds wonderful for a shorter day that we tender to and fro on LOS in Nov. We're on the same cruise as Goof3 and it's fun/interesting to see the questions and answers. Chris is saving me some posting. ~~Judy

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Yes, the hydrofoil has been a bit of a mess. Another problem is the construction of Thu Thiem tunnel crossing Saigon River is still going on and heading toward is completion sometime early next year. And if the constructors need to move any important bulky stuffs to the construction site ( near Saigon Port and the hydrofoil dock ) the local authority will ban all kinds of transport from moving into that area

With the two days you got, you'd better organize a private tour with a local company. It may cost around US$ 120 per person -group of 02 persons, including a professional and licensed tour guide, a new car, driver, petrol and road toll. On Nov 15, you should travel directly from Phu My Port to Cu Chi Tunnels ( if you are interested in the Vietnam War) and head back to Saigon in the afternoon. The next day, you can explore this charming and bustling city with all of its highlights ( Former Presidential Palace, City Hall, Opera House, Notre Dame Cathedral, Central Post Office, the site of US Former Embassy, Ben Thanh Market, the War Remnant Museum, China Town, Thien Hau Pagoda...) before heading back to Phu My Port by 5pm

Some five star hotels in Saigon may cost you around US$ 150 to US$175 per double or twin-shared room for two persons (Majestic Hotel, Caravelle Hotel Saigon, New Word Hotel Saigon, Rex Hotel, Renaissance Saigon Hotel....)

Thanks for coming and welcome to Saigon,

Khoi

Archived