Princess Cruise, where to stay in London

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting in this forum and I hope I am posting in the right place. We are traveling to London this May and we are landing in Heathrow. We woudl like to hire a driver to drive us from the airport to Stonehenge in Amesbury and then to the cruise dock. Does anyone know of a good company (and somewhat inexpensive) that could drive us around for the day?

There are lots of different companies that will give you a tour on the way to the cruise port. But inexpensive (or even somewhat inexpensive) in Europe is not a word that is used very often. Keep in mind, you will be paying in Euros. The cost depends on how many in your group you can share it with. For two, it is better to just take the Princess transfers if you don't know your way around London and skip the tour. A private transfer for two, with a tour, will run you quite a bit.

I am lucky because I have relatives in London that I can say with. Any hotel charges an outrageous price.Coach tours are also expensive.

There is one outstanding free part of London that is all the Museums and Art Galleries apart from the special exhibitions at the art galleries are free,many have cofee shops attached were you can get medium priced snack meals.

They do have a step on step off bus service round the City were you can buy a daily ticket and children + seniors get a slight discount.This is general information for everyone.

To answer your question

I don't know how much time you have before you board but National Express buses which leave from near Terminal Three at London Heathrow are very cheap.Those buses travel all around the country but make several stops.

Unless you have plenty of cash to hire a private car and driver would be very expensive. Alternately you could hire a car and go that route with GMS or your Apple Iphone to guide you to the cruise ship terminal..

Hire a car or use public transport, suggest you book a hotel outside London, if you are cruising from Southampton suggest you book somewhere in the Sailsbury area (near Stonehenge).

Makes us laugh when we see London (Southampton) in cruise brochures, its about 90 miles away!

Our currency is still £ and we drive on the correct side of the road;) (LHS).

What ship / cruise are you on, we often go to see the Princess ships in Liverpool when they do the around the UK & Ireland cruises.

Inexpensive is not a term likely to be found:)

I do believe that you will be charged in Pounds and not Euros in the UK. Still not a bargain

My error, thanks for the correction, you are right on that one. I guess my mind has been stuck on Euros lately. :o

You would be much better going to Southampton from Heathrow and staying there. Southampton is not London, even though they call it London in the brochures for some reason best known to themselves. Actually, David and Heather's advice is good too, you could stay at Salisbury. Salisbury is 24 miles from Southampton, about 40 minutes by car. We pay about £40 to take a taxi for that distance, and of course the same back again. Salisbury to Stonehenge is 10 and a half miles and takes 27 minutes. Amesbury is not Stonehenge it is about 2 miles away from there. As these sites are in the middle of the countryside I doubt if there is regular public transport. Hope these distances help you.

There are many areas in London where the entertainment is free, most art galleries and some museums included and the street theatre in covent garden is interesting

If you are going from Southampton, I suggest if you only have 1 night then you need to stay in Southampton or close by

Trying to get out of London to the cruise port will take a couple of hours - as someone has already said it is 90 miles and keep away from the morning traffic in London

Our trains are not cheap and are in £ and against the dollar at the moment you will have a decent deal. However you can hire a car and driver for approx £100 to £120. If you want to book a train do it 3 months in advance as that is when they are the cheapest.

Archived