Pier in Seattle

You can take a city bus from the Magnolia Bridge to downtown for $2.75. Check out King County Metro's website for schedules. We took the bus to Pier 91 with our luggage before and after our cruise two weeks ago. Very easy. You walk through the parking lot and towards the bridge. There is a gate with a security guard. Climb to the top of the stairs and the bus stop is right there. Coming back ask the driver to drop you off at the bridge and point out the staircase to get back down to the pier. Buses run every 1/2 hour.

You can take a city bus from the Magnolia Bridge to downtown for $2.75. Check out King County Metro's website for schedules. We took the bus to Pier 91 with our luggage before and after our cruise two weeks ago. Very easy. You walk through the parking lot and towards the bridge. There is a gate with a security guard. Climb to the top of the stairs and the bus stop is right there. Coming back ask the driver to drop you off at the bridge and point out the staircase to get back down to the pier. Buses run every 1/2 hour.

Very easy? It doesn't sound that way:D;). I wouldn't want to do that without luggage:p.

Thank you, sopo. That is a good backup plan, since the busses run close to the wine shop. We have ridden busses in Seattle before. It should be a breeze.

You sound very familiar with Seattle so you probably already know this, but just in case.....about 3 blocks north of Pier 91 on 15th is a very nice large Whole Foods with a good selection of wines. Obviously since it's Whole Foods (Whole Paycheck!) you'll pay a bit more but if you only need 5-6 bottles, it's a pretty easy walk from 91. There's also a "Wine Outlet" store pretty close-by. Not sure what they have - factory seconds??? Enjoy.

You sound very familiar with Seattle so you probably already know this, but just in case.....about 3 blocks north of Pier 91 on 15th is a very nice large Whole Foods with a good selection of wines. Obviously since it's Whole Foods (Whole Paycheck!) you'll pay a bit more but if you only need 5-6 bottles, it's a pretty easy walk from 91. There's also a "Wine Outlet" store pretty close-by. Not sure what they have - factory seconds??? Enjoy.

I go by the Whole Foods every day and can tell you that would be more than a three block walk to the HAL dock.

Also, I'm a pretty pro-bus/mass transportation person. While taking a bus close (note that I did not say "to") Pier 91 is doable, with luggage and steps it would be only for those that are willing and able to do so :).

I walk a LOT and there is no way I'd go through all that to save a few bucks on wine. It's so worth it to me to buy it on the ship. More power to anyone who will do it.

It's not so much a matter of saving a few bucks. There is likely a much larger selection of more costly wines at Whole Food, or Seattle Cellars than on the ship's wine list. It's fair to say that if you are drinking a lower cost wine in the MDR, you would do just as well ordering off the ship's list. For more expensive wines the savings is definitely worthwhile to me. And, we like wine in our cabin - so, no corkage fee on that. Plus, we like shopping for wine.

YMMV as always.

Another walking/Pier 91 question...

When we went on a cruise there last year, our plan was to be dropped off under the bridge (by a friend) and then walk the rest of the way. There was so much construction that we couldn't figure out how in the world to do that.

Is the path more clear now?

Archived