Transportation when disembarking in San Francisco

mmwc

We have read that disembarking in SF is a nightmare unless you are using a Princess transfer. We are disembarking from the Star on March 19, 2012 but not returning home to Canada for a week. We have reservations at the Chancellor Hotel. Would any of the wonderful experts on CC be able to offer suggestions how to get from the ship to the hotel which is located across from Union Square? Any help you can offer would be much appreciated.

Happy New Year to all.

With thanks

Midge

I've disembarked at SFO (San Francisco) and it isn't that difficult. Like any other destination, there will be a line of taxis just waiting to take people where they need to go. I can't, however, give you any idea what the cost would be from the pier to the Union Square area.[/rCOLOR]

I don't think it is a nightmare most of the time, just everyone once in a while something causes a glitch. You will get a disembarkation time based on your travel plans. After you get your luggage, you will go to to the front of the pier and either proceed to the taxi line (usually pretty fast) or to a prearranged transportation and you are on your way.

After you get your luggage, you will go to to the front of the pier and either proceed to the taxi line (usually pretty fast) or to a prearranged transportation and you are on your way.
We're also on the same cruise and disembarking in San Francisco on the same date. Going to the airport. I asked this same question here a few months ago and was advised that taxis, due to congestion on the Embarcardero, are not allowed anywhere near the pier.

I prefer your answer:D When you say to the front of the pier do you actually mean out on that busy Embarcardero?

Peg is quite right about the taxis in front. As you come the door turn left and there will be folks in blue blazers to guide you to the taxi line. Mind you the taxis would rather take folks to the airport because of the fare but are required to take passengers as they arrive at their location.

The hardest part will be the massive numbers of folks standing in front of the terminal with their luggage. Many are looking for "friends" that are supposed to pick them up and the sidewalk was not intended for the numbers that will be there.:)

The last time we disembarked there, we were going to a hotel at Fisherman's Wharf and couldn't find a taxi anywhere. The place was a zoo. I thought we might be able to walk, but then crossed the street, saw a guy leaving his garage and offered to pay him to drive us to the hotel. He did! :D

It's going to be deja vu for us again in October, but this time we will be renting a car. Hopefully we will find a local rental near the pier. I believe Hertz has one; still lots of time to investigate.

we have gotten off ships three times in San Fran.... the first time we arranged for a shuttle, when we got out of the pier building the parking area where taxis and shuttles come was so small they were limiting taxis, shuttles that could come in. We waited a half hour after our scheduled pick up time for the shuttle to get in to the parking area.

Second time we thought just take a taxi: we got off the ship and the taxi queue was probably a 100 people deep. We started to wait but they were only allowing two taxis in at a time and it was taking forever. Since we were taking taxi to a hotel we decided to head out to the Emarcadero and flag a taxi down. When we got out to the road it was busy, like poster above said, lots of people waiting for their rides. So we crossed the street and walked a block and flagged a taxi down. Taxi driver said because the port parking area is so small they limit the taxis that can come in, and many taxis just don't want to wait so they just give up and don't try to get port fares unless they pick them up on the Emarcadero.

Third time we decided we would just take Princess transfers, we got off the ship early and were in the bus and taken directly to the airport. Normally this is not something we like to do but ended up being the easiest choice.

We are also getting off March 19 but we are staying at a hotel in SF somewhere downtown, just haven't booked it yet. If it is Fisherman's Warf area we will walk, if it is by \Union Square we will walk out to the road and flag a taxi again.

We love sailing in and out of San Francisco but their pier facilities are not the best and Princess knows this. Not sure if this is why Princess has decreased the number of sailing in/out of SF, a few years ago there were lots now it is mainly just the summer Alaska cruise every two weeks.

Vickie

Spring in SF is not busy. The terminal will be busy because each one of us 2000 cruisers have a special place to go. Patience. Cabs are good in the City, transfer buses are good too and it will be a work day. A regular work day for customs personnel. If it was a Friday, the bicyclist would do weird things in the streets. The occupiers are on the other side of the bay trying to shut down cargo shipping. You 'll be just fine. Taxi!

Spring in SF is not busy. The terminal will be busy because each one of us 2000 cruisers have a special place to go. Patience. Cabs are good in the City, transfer buses are good too and it will be a work day. A regular work day for customs personnel. If it was a Friday, the bicyclist would do weird things in the streets. The occupiers are on the other side of the bay trying to shut down cargo shipping. You 'll be just fine. Taxi!

like your post and your humour...

since we are not going to be in any rush we will wait to be one of the last to get off -- and drag that vacation for as long as possible, plus we can't check into hotel - so we will just drop off bags and explore.

When we disembarked the Sea Princess in San Francisco, September this year, we were directed to the taxi pick up area. There was no line and we were in a taxi in next to no time. We were only going to Hertz at Fishermans Wharf and the driver wasn't overjoyed at that. However when we told him a good tip would be forthcoming he was happy to take us and seemed happy with the tip.

When my Star cruise ends on April 3rd, based on what I read here, I decided I will just book a Princess transfer to the airport. I think that will be the easiest, as I am not interested in dragging my luggage any farther than I have to. Plus, I know nothing about SFO ... either the pier or the airport.

Just to be accurate, the bicyclist only do weird things at evening rush hour the final Friday of each month, so that wouldn't impact any cruise passengers.

One answer to the OP's question depends on how much luggage they have and how comfortable they would be hauling it on public transportation and walking a bit. The F-line historic streetcars stop at a bus island very near the pier. Take a southbound one to Sutter Street, transfer to a westbound bus from there, and you end up half a block from the Chancellor for two bucks apiece.

It's worth noting that after the America's Cup is over, the City will have a spiffy new cruise ship terminal. But yes, the pier area is a mess at disembarkation; last time, it took our friend something like an extra twenty minutes to slog through the traffic to pierside to pick us up. Better, as others have said, to walk across the Embarcadero and get away from the immediate vicinity of the pier.

The last time we disembarked there, we were going to a hotel at Fisherman's Wharf and couldn't find a taxi anywhere. The place was a zoo. I thought we might be able to walk, but then crossed the street, saw a guy leaving his garage and offered to pay him to drive us to the hotel. He did! :D

It's going to be deja vu for us again in October, but this time we will be renting a car. Hopefully we will find a local rental near the pier. I believe Hertz has one; still lots of time to investigate.

Pia, are you staying in the City? If so, I wouldn't get a rental car. We are drive distance to San Francisco, and we never drive after we get there. We drive to the city, park the car at the hotel (expensive, no free hotel parking) and never use it again until we leave. The traffic is moderate, but parking is non-existent. The public transportation system is great.

If you are going somewhere outside the city then, never mind:o.

Liz

Pia, are you staying in the City? If so, I wouldn't get a rental car. We are drive distance to San Francisco, and we never drive after we get there. We drive to the city, park the car at the hotel (expensive, no free hotel parking) and never use it again until we leave. The traffic is moderate, but parking is non-existent. The public transportation system is great.

If you are going somewhere outside the city then, never mind:o.

Liz

No, Liz. Not staying. Will meander for a week between cruises, though need to be in LA by Friday.

No, Liz. Not staying. Will meander for a week between cruises, though need to be in LA by Friday.

Ah hah. We lived in San Luis Obispo County for 20 years. I'm in the wine business. If you are interested in wine tours in that area, I can hook you up.

Enjoy. Liz

Archived