Is Royal Caribbean REALLY better than Carnival??

MargieWY

Is Royal Caribbean REALLY better than Carnival?  

488 members have voted

1. 1. Is Royal Caribbean REALLY better than Carnival?

• YES - Absolutely without a doubt
    • NO - It's just cheerleader propaganda. Carnival is better.
    • NEITHER - They are both basically the same.
    • It depends... (explain below)

It's personal preference. I look at it like would you shop at Dillards or Macys? Sears and JcPenny's? Lowes or Home Depot? Braum's or Baskin Robins? Albertson's or Kroger's? Burger King or McDonalds? Panera Bread or McAlister's Deli? 6 Flags TX or 6 flags Atlanta? Coke or Pepsi? Coke or Dr. Pepper? Pier One or Pottery Barn? and the list goes on.

They both offer the same product with their own unique style, service, decor, entertainment and dining.

I'm REALLY curious if there's any truth to this. What's your opinion?

I didn't vote because my Royal cruise was a while ago...but note that there is only one in my signature....

When we sailed Royal, I didn't think the cruise was better than Carnival at all, (the ship certainly was) but because that was a while ago, I can no longer say for sure because the things I felt gave CCL the edge back then are not exactly the same anymore.

One thing I will say is that I didn't write them off and I'd like to give them another go. Their ships are just stunning...and besides, isn't it a matter of taste?? What's better for one isn't necessarily better for all.

Having only done one of each I can only compare those two.

The royal ship was IMO way more appealing visually. Not the guady that we saw on carnival. However I don't think our experience was that different on each. There were things we liked better on royal and things we liked better on carnival but we had a great time on both. I think it just comes down to personal preference and what is important to you on a vacation.

Having only done one of each I can only compare those two.

The royal ship was IMO way more appealing visually. Not the guady that we saw on carnival. However I don't think our experience was that different on each. There were things we liked better on royal and things we liked better on carnival but we had a great time on both. I think it just comes down to personal preference and what is important to you on a vacation.

Ditto... :D

Having been on both I can agree with BeachChik, liked the decor of RCCL better but we had equal fun on both!! I'd love to try out some newer ships, the newest we've been on were Navigator for RCCL and Miracle for CCL... hoping to do the Breeze soon and Liberty after that, then in the very far future allure or oasis.

Following a recent cruise on Valor (after not sailing CCL for 12 yrs) we were really surprised, and thoroughly loved our cruise. We are D+ with RCCL, so receive all the perks,

and we booked a suite on CCL so that we did have the VIP embark and debark, plus we

used the luggage express (which was great) said goodbye to our bags Sat nite and rec'd them when we arrived at our home airport.

Were there differences, of course but there was a lot we preferred, the Carnival now is not the one we sailed 12 yrs ago. The service was first class and everyone was extremely friendly and only too willing to help. We used Bon Voyage which we wish RCL still did, as although we have Concierge Lounge privilages on RCL it was nice to enjoy a drink in our cabin.

Will we sail them again, sure, we have cruises booked both on CCL and RCL. The one thing that is very different is the loyalty program on RCL, they give you both discounts for booking balcony cabins or suites, and of course the free evening "Happy Hour", where the top tier on Carnival does not have this, although we did really enjoy the past cruisers get together.

Food is subjective and we have no complaints some things we liked, some we didn't, but we did enjoy the Steakhouse.

I agree with most of the posters that RCI ships are more visually appealing, and even easier to find your way around. However, our last 2 cruises on RCI, we felt the biggest difference was in the passengers. IMO, the passengers on RCI were not as friendly, and tended to be a bit snobbish.:confused: Maybe it was just he luck of the draw. We will still sail either line, as we are Platinum on both.

I didnt find RCL great at all. after hearing so many positive things about the ship and line I was extremly disappointed. how often on a cruise can you not find a desert that you wouldnt like...happend to me on rcl, at least i can always turn to the warm chocolate melting cake. I love being called by name on carnival, RCL was lady...walking down the hall "hi lady" come on, i introduced myself. shows were crappy and service was lousy. ship was beautiful but when i first entered i didnt have the "wow" factor that i do on carnival when i see the atrium for the first time

It depends on what you're looking for. I've done three cruises on Carnival (all Spirit class) and one on RCI (Freedom). The Freedom was an amazing ship. Beautiful with tons of amenities. But Carnival has way more planned stuff (trivia, games, etc.). We'd look at the daily planner on RCI and be unable to find stuff to do. On Carnival, it was the opposite- there would often be multiple things at the same time that we'd have to choose between. Dining room food is better on Carnival, but the buffet food is better on RCI (personally, I have Carnival's buffet...gross...). Rooms are bigger on Carnival as well. Oh, and I found the staff on Carnival to be more laid back. They were just as helpful, but something about RCI's staff seemed...off. Helpful and polite, but not necessarily friendly.

Since I haven't cruised Carnival just yet, I can't honestly compare.

However, I can share what I miss....my Loyalty Perks that I would have received if there would have been an RCCL cruise ship on the West Coast. :(

Thanks for this thread! We are looking at a 10 day out of Baltimore next year on RCL and it's good to see these thoughts. I want to try many lines as I am sure all have something to offer. So far for me, Celebrity is the best I have experienced.

I don't know. But I will say this: Strictly based on pictures that I've seen of some of the cabins on some RCCL ships that I've seen, bad 70's hotel rooms came immediately to mind. Hence the reason we booked a cruise with Celebrity. My wife and I are looking to do a Panama cruise in the next couple of years, and Celebrity looked to offer the best in itinerary, cost, and overall look of the ship(s). IF Carnival still offered a Panama cruise beyond 2013, we'd have stuck with them.

I agree with most of the posters that RCI ships are more visually appealing, and even easier to find your way around. However, our last 2 cruises on RCI, we felt the biggest difference was in the passengers. IMO, the passengers on RCI were not as friendly, and tended to be a bit snobbish.:confused: Maybe it was just he luck of the draw. We will still sail either line, as we are Platinum on both.

We agree with the above. As Diamond on Carnival and Diamond Plus on RCCL (213 credited days) We have extensive experience on both lines. Many if not most RCCL cruisers really look down on Carnival. Each ship and crew is unique so it is not always easy to make sweeping generalizations.

Currently we can say that food is now generally better on Carnival. As many have said the decor on RCCL is nicer. The selection and layout of RCCL's buffet restaurant (the Windjammer on all ships) is usually better than Carnival although that doesn't mean better tasting.

The entertainment staff on RCCL is usually more international so sometimes understanding their english is more problematic. When on RCCL we wear a figurative Royal Caribbean Hat and the same on Carnival. We have had great cruises and average cruises on both lines.

Following a recent cruise on Valor (after not sailing CCL for 12 yrs) We used Bon Voyage which we wish RCL still did, as although we have Concierge Lounge privilages on RCL it was nice to enjoy a drink in our cabin.

What is Bon Voyage?

I'm really just a beginner cruiser here. I have only cruised carnival once and I have another Carnival (we stuck with what we know) cruise coming in Sept. I have wondered about RCCL.

Many of you have said it's a matter or preference but can you be more specific as to what makes you choose one line over the other? Or what you like about one over the other? I am thinking I'll probably agree with some of your points on what is important and better make the decision for myself.

Loved the decor on RCL - somehow classier than Carnival

However, Carnival wins hands down if travelling with kids. Our 17yr old has been all over the world and his favorite is always Carnival. Their kids programs are exceptional. Happy kids make a great holiday for parents!

I'm REALLY curious if there's any truth to this. What's your opinion?

yes. there is.

i have always been a loyal carnival cruiser... until in feb we took a last second cruise on a royal ship... yes its a touch more expensive, but what you get for the money is incredible. the ship we were on was gorgeous. my daughter adored the kids club, not that carnival's staff aren't personable and great, but royals staff really went above and beyond when they found out why we had jumped on so last minute. their private island SUCKS though... if i never see labadee again it will be too soon.

We have sailed Carnival 6 times....and sailed once on the Mariner of the Seas a few years back. It was a beautiful ship.....otherwise the cruise was similar to the Carnival cruises. But when it was over we just hadn't had as much fun for some reason. I think it was mostly because our son didn't have as much fun with their kids program as he had had with Carnival. And when our kid isn't having a great time....its hard for us to. We also tried one of the alternative dining venues on the Mariner but was totally unimpressed with that. The skating show was a nice change though...and the Quest show was muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch better than the one we experienced on the Carnival Dream. But when everything gets weighed out...including price and itinerary and fun factor.....we prefer Carnival. Although I do expect us to experiment more in the future now that our son is grown and its just the 2 of us. Variety is the spice of life! :)

Archived