Taxis to Pearl Harbor

HRPro

My husband and I already have reservations for the Pearl Harbor/Arizona tour and are thinking of taking a taxi to the Visitors Center. I think I read somewhere that some taxis can't take you all the way there. Is it easy to take a taxi to from the port to the visitor's center? How can we be sure to get a taxi that will take us directly to the visitors center and how long does it take as we need to be there 1 hour before our scheduled tour? How much does it cost each way? Many thanks for any information. I know there is a bus that goes there, but with my husband's mobility issues, I think a taxi would be easier for him.

Three years ago my wife and I took a taxi from the Aloha Tower terminal to Pearl Harbor. It was very easy. Everyone waiting for a taxi was going to Pearl Harbor. The taxi dispatcher was filling up 7 passenger vans and sending them on their way. We were at Pearl Harbor in about 20 minutes. At the time the fare including tip was $35. It was split among the 7 passengers and came out to $5 a person. Very reasonable.

You mentioned reading that taxis can't take you all the way there. I don't know where you heard that, but the taxis drop you off in the Memorial parking lot, as close as you drive to the front entrance. Here's a map of the grounds. The taxis drop you off just before the "Entrance" walkway. The ticket booth is straight ahead. The meeting area for the movie and boat ride to the USS Arizona is all the way to the left. There are two excellent museums labeled exhibit gallery at the bottom left corner. They are well worth visiting as well. (Click on the map to see it larger.)

5396370188_2e3b44c91d_z.jpg

USS Arizona Memorial by Jasperdo, on Flickr

Edited by Jasperdo

• 2 weeks later...

Just reporting back in to thank everyone for their help. We did take a taxi out to Pearl Harbor--very easy. It was a 20-25 minute ride and a fare of $35, so definitely worth sharing if you can find someone to go with you. It was worth going as we got there early before all the tour buses and had plenty of time to visit everything before our tour time of 10:15am. Definitely book your tickets in advance on the website and get the audioguide ($7.50pp). The audioguide is very well done and worth the money. Everything is very well organized and you can buy a separate ticket to see the Bowfin submarine located at the Visitors Center or take a shuttle over to tour the Missouri. I took the bus back into Honolulu, and it takes about 30-40 minutes and cost $2.50 pp. We had a great day in Honolulu and really enjoyed our visit to Pearl Harbor. Thanks everyone!

Thanks for coming back and telling of your experience. Is it easy to share a cab with others in line for a taxi, or do you think you need to prearrange it?

If you ship docks at Aloha tower (most do but there are exceptions) all you need to do is go across the street to what looks like a parking lot. There will be a couple of van companies that take folks, on a first come, first served, basis to the airport and Pearl. If I remember correctly there is a booth there as well. We have been there 3 times in the last couple of years and I have just gone up to the van drivers and asked. Never had a problem.

If you ship docks at Aloha tower (most do but there are exceptions) all you need to do is go across the street to what looks like a parking lot. There will be a couple of van companies that take folks, on a first come, first served, basis to the airport and Pearl. If I remember correctly there is a booth there as well. We have been there 3 times in the last couple of years and I have just gone up to the van drivers and asked. Never had a problem.

Thanks for the info!

• 4 weeks later...

We stayed at the Best Western, The Plaza Hotel. Taxi to Pearl Harbor was $15 each way. Taxi from the hotel to the port to get on ship was $20.

They will store your bags while you are sightseeing.

We are using Hawaii23transportation.com for airport to hotel and for hotel to pier. It is a private taxi and only $23 for two people. All the shuttles are $12-13pp and make numerous stops at hotels. From hotel to Pearl Harbor there is a shuttle called VIP transport $6.00 one way, $10.00 round trip.