Half Moon Cay

BuckeyeCruiser79

My wife and I will visit Half Moon Cay for the first time in September. I've searched and not found much on this port of call. So it looks like it's owned by Carnival. Are there locals that live on the island? Is there any Bahamian culture there? What about actually getting to the island from the ship? I saw a video of people taking a ferry from the ship to the island. Are their costs for that ferry? We're trying to plan out our day at Half Moon Cay, so any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

My wife and I will visit Half Moon Cay for the first time in September. I've searched and not found much on this port of call. So it looks like it's owned by Carnival. Are there locals that live on the island? Is there any Bahamian culture there? What about actually getting to the island from the ship? I saw a video of people taking a ferry from the ship to the island. Are their costs for that ferry? We're trying to plan out our day at Half Moon Cay, so any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

It's primarily a Holland America private island, but Holland America is owned by Carnival, so other Carnival ships use it as well.

There are employees who live on the island for extended periods who do maintenance and work as clerks, lifeguards, etc., supplemented by workers from the ships and some workers who commute from one of the larger nearby islands. But no, there are no real year-round residents and no other Bahamian infrastructure.

To get from the ship to the island you take a tender, which is a boat used to ferry passengers from ship to shore. The tenders are free.

For the most part HMC is a beach day. There is lunch there (included with your cruise fare), and drinks available at extra cost. You can rent snorkel equipment, floats and small boats like kayaks. There's parasailing available, jet ski rental, etc. Check the excursions list for your cruise to see everything. Since the whole place is owned by HAL/Carnival, there are no third-party excursions available.

This will be a beach day...pure and simple. There is no "culture"...it is an island bought by the cruise company and developed for their passenger's use. It's a lovely day...but there is no "sight seeing" or anything of historical interest.

There are loungers everywhere for your use, a BBQ lunch is brought from the ship and served on the island....there are roving waiters for drinks....and there will be watersport excursions you can spend money on! However, you can do the beach day without spending a dime, if you don't drink alcohol or soda.

We love the private beach days!!! You may go ashore and stay all day, or go for part of the day, or come and go....or not go at all...your choice!

Edited by cb at sea

It's primarily a Holland America private island, but Holland America is owned by Carnival, so other Carnival ships use it as well.

There are employees who live on the island for extended periods who do maintenance and work as clerks, lifeguards, etc., supplemented by workers from the ships and some workers who commute from one of the larger nearby islands. But no, there are no real year-round residents and no other Bahamian infrastructure.

To get from the ship to the island you take a tender, which is a boat used to ferry passengers from ship to shore. The tenders are free.

For the most part HMC is a beach day. There is lunch there (included with your cruise fare), and drinks available at extra cost. You can rent snorkel equipment, floats and small boats like kayaks. There's parasailing available, jet ski rental, etc. Check the excursions list for your cruise to see everything. Since the whole place is owned by HAL/Carnival, there are no third-party excursions available.

Excellent post above! Basically, tells you everything you want to know! :)

LuLu

I have never been to Half Moon before.

Is there trees for shade?

I don't know if I should pay for the clamshell. Do you have a view with the clamshell?

Edited by phabric

• 3 weeks later...
Not a lot of shade available, clamshell or cabana if you need shade (like my cadaver white self).

Clamshell still allows for a view :)

Renting Clamshells & float mats? We tried to find someone about a Clamshell last trip...no luck. Soooo....where and how do you rent the clamshells and the float mats??? What is the cost?

Renting Clamshells & float mats? We tried to find someone about a Clamshell last trip...no luck. Soooo....where and how do you rent the clamshells and the float mats??? What is the cost?

Clamshell cost - $19.95 per clamshell

Under the excursions for Half Moom

I have been here twice before and going again in August. Although I don't have pricelists, I can reaffirm this is a great place to spend a day. The beach is beautiful, the water peaceful. There are a variety of paths to walk/stroll if that is your thing. A chapel and other areas to explore. There is a high rated island tour if you are interested. The "I want to stay here forever Bar" is a favorite. Just walking the beach is a treat. You can stay with the crowds or ease away down the beach.

We were there in April and loved it. It's a very pretty island.

I have a complete review in my signature line if you are interested in seeing TONS of pictures from our day there. It might help you get a feel for the place. :)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is it worth taking any of the excursions offered through Carnival for this island or would it just be a waste of money? Is there really anything else to see/do besides a beach day. I don't want to spend money doing an excursion if the best thing is to really just sit in the sand. I will be cruising in February.

"Worth it" is a judgment only you can make. If you look around this board you will find lots of info on the excursions. Some people really like the horse excursion, riding in the surf. Others like the string ray experience. We have done the lagoon kayak...it was fun. And of course the cabanas. MANY people like those.

So, only you can decide "worth", depending on what interests you. Or you could just make it a beach day.

• 4 weeks later...
Is it worth bringing my snorkel equipment on shore?

A little reading on the board would reveal the snorkeling at HMC isn't all that good- many other, better places on most Caribbean cruises. So, that would probably make it not "worth it", at least to us. And we have snorkeled in MANY places on Caribbean cruises.