Punta Cana - what to do?

nbsjcruiser

So we'll be going to Punta Cana instead of San Juan for obvious reasons. Anyone have any suggestions for what to do here? We're docking at Cap Cana apparently.

We are in the same boat :D

Been reviewing on line tours. Plenty of beautiful beaches with great ratings and a lot of all inclusive resorts that have day passes. Looks like a great port of call

We are in the same boat :D

Been reviewing on line tours. Plenty of beautiful beaches with great ratings and a lot of all inclusive resorts that have day passes. Looks like a great port of call

Hi, G&G Nice to see you around the boards. Hope you have a great time in a new port!

Our cruise is also going there in November. I'm concerned about the tender, as I read somewhere that it can be very rough. Also, with not much to do but beach and I think you have to take a bus or taxi to get to one (correct if I'm wrong), I'm not sure if we'll get off the ship. Too bad we can't go to Amber Cover in Dominican Rep. You walk off the ship to a nice area.

The Dominican Republic has beautiful beaches and resorts, especially in the Punta Cana area. Amber Cove is a Carnival-developed port which will cater to the needs of a lot of passengers with shops, tours, etc. I suspect that you will be offered rain forest tours which will appeal to some. In short......you should be able to find something that satisfies you, remembering that people cruise for a lot of different reasons. Some veteran cruisers may not leave the ship at all. Have fun!

We live in Punta Cana for a good part of the year thanks to my hotel job. When I read about cruise ships coming here I started thinking what people would do. Generally taxis are quite expensive here and the public transportation options are horrible. Cap Cana is part of a private complex owned by Grupo Punta Cana. I suspect that they will offer transfer to either Punta Blanca or Juanillo Beach which are very pretty and close. We have a new mall called Blue Mall that is also in Punta Cana and has restaurants and shops. For more of an adventure you could get taxi/rental car and go to Macao Beach or Bayahibe 46-60 minutes away in different directions. Most All Inclusive hotels off day passes depending how full they are so you might want to call first. Enjoy your time in PC.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We live in Punta Cana for a good part of the year thanks to my hotel job. When I read about cruise ships coming here I started thinking what people would do. Generally taxis are quite expensive here and the public transportation options are horrible. Cap Cana is part of a private complex owned by Grupo Punta Cana. I suspect that they will offer transfer to either Punta Blanca or Juanillo Beach which are very pretty and close. We have a new mall called Blue Mall that is also in Punta Cana and has restaurants and shops. For more of an adventure you could get taxi/rental car and go to Macao Beach or Bayahibe 46-60 minutes away in different directions. Most All Inclusive hotels off day passes depending how full they are so you might want to call first. Enjoy your time in PC.

Thanks for the info...this a port we have not visited...could you list some of the AI resorts so we could look them up? Thanks:):):)

Great Information.

Thank you!!

Hi,

I have read that Juanillo Beach has a major seaweed problem and swimming there is not advised. People have even commented on the smell of the seaweed just sitting on the beach is bad. Is there a beach near Cap Cana that would be better and not any seaweed?

So we'll be going to Punta Cana instead of San Juan for obvious reasons. Anyone have any for what to do here? We're docking at Cap Cana apparently.

Hi there,We are also going on this trip & were of course disappointed by the changes they have had to make but it is understandable.My husband is from N.S. & neither of us can take being on a beach for too long ,so would like to find out about other options available. (e.g.) Tours ,shopping ,Forestry trips etc.

Not sure were to find this out. Hopefully we will meet onboard.

Hi there,We are also going on this trip & were of course disappointed by the changes they have had to make but it is understandable.My husband is from N.S. & neither of us can take being on a beach for too long ,so would like to find out about other options available. (e.g.) Tours ,shopping ,Forestry trips etc.

I've been looking into excursions here (never been) and a few private tours and possibly a HAL tour goes to a place called Altos De Chavon, which seems to be in the hills and near a river. It's a replica Mediterranean village built in the 70s. To me it looks charming. Might be of interest to you.

Holland America website is always a good place to start ;)

https://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-destinations/ShoreExcursions.action

Go to list of excursions for Caribbean down to "Cap Cana"

Hi,

I have read that Juanillo Beach has a major seaweed problem and swimming there is not advised. People have even commented on the smell of the seaweed just sitting on the beach is bad. Is there a beach near Cap Cana that would be better and not any seaweed?

Where did you read the reviews about seaweed at Juanillo Beach. I read reviews that seaweed was a problem this past summer but was not an issue now.

Holland America website is always a good place to start ;)

https://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-destinations/ShoreExcursions.action

Go to list of excursions for Caribbean down to "Cap Cana"

Thanks, didn't know about this site, I was just checking my own booking number and excursions not listed yet for this port. Very helpful.

Where did you read the reviews about seaweed at Juanillo Beach. I read reviews that seaweed was a problem this past summer but was not an issue now.

It was on trip advisor, we just got switched to this port about three days ago and I did quite a few different searches on Google. Did about three hours of reading trying to figure this port out and whether or not to do an excursion. So on one trip advisor one reviewer said since the Hurricanes seaweed was washed away but another reviewer posted two days ago there is still seaweed, it is interesting some people's perspective some reviewers say great beach, other reviewers say it is awful, seaweed in the water and it also smells bad. Go figure.

Juanillo, and actually all of Cap Cana had sea weed a while ago but I haven't heard that lately. I'll ask today of friends have any recent pictures.

Altas de Chavon is very pretty but you would need a tour because the entrance via Casa de Campo has strict security. There are some excellent restaurants in the same area but not cheap.

Not sure which hotels offer day passes. I know Hard Rock does based on how full it is but expect to spend $100 plus per person. You might contact Riu, Iberostar, Barcelo.

There is some info on the Port of Call board but not much.

Personally, I'd much rather they had moved us to La Romana. I did an excellent excursion with Seavis from there on a stop a couple of years ago on Carnival.

I have absolutely zero interest in man-made tourist sites/luxury developments. I'd rather get an island tour and see the "real" DR, poverty and all.

Have sent an email to Seavis to see if they're offering excursions from Punta Cana the day we're there. Don't know what it would cost to get from Cap Cana to Punta Cana. Appears to be close.

There is some info on the Port of Call board but not much.

Personally, I'd much rather they had moved us to La Romana. I did an excellent excursion with Seavis from there on a stop a couple of years ago on Carnival.

I have absolutely zero interest in man-made tourist sites/luxury developments. I'd rather get an island tour and see the "real" DR, poverty and all.

Have sent an email to Seavis to see if they're offering excursions from Punta Cana the day we're there. Don't know what it would cost to get from Cap Cana to Punta Cana. Appears to be close.

Yes, I did some reading on Alta's de Chavon, read the reviews, doesn't sound like a place we would visit, Punta Cana is about 18km away (about 11miles). I also looked at the Seavis site for tours, none were setup for the 16th, maybe they could set up a special tour for that day. Also did some reading on Scape Park, also not a place we would go to. Looks like we will just walk around the marina, also sounds like we can walk to Juaniillo Beach in five minutes if we walk through the Marina. I read that Celebrity who started going to Cap Cana in late 2016 has already dropped the port for future sailings.

Just found a tour by Puntacana mike that takes in a tour of a local school to meet the children and also stops at cigar, chocolate and rum factories and then lunch on the beach prepared by locals..sounds good and got excellent reviews on trip advisor

Just found a tour by Puntacana mike that takes in a tour of a local school to meet the children and also stops at cigar, chocolate and rum factories and then lunch on the beach prepared by locals..sounds good and got excellent reviews on trip advisor

Thanks for your post. I'm curious we are also on HAL Oct 28 cruise. Have you booked this excursion or are you waiting to see what HAL offers?

I have come across this tour & it does sound interesting. I am surprised that Exc does not have any tours listed for The day we are in port No. 29th. Do you think they will organize some shortly?

Heard back from Seavis and it's too far away. I think they do tours from Punta Cana for people staying there. Even though we have a fairly long day there, Ingrid said it's too far from the sites where they do their tours. :(

I did check the link above (thanks!) and there may be some excursions I'd try if HAL is able to get them arranged for us.

Not interested in seeing a Mediterranean village in the DR, either even if it's realistic. Just seems odd to me!

Oh well. We'll see what HAL comes up with. I do really hope to get out there and see some of the island, though. After all, that's why I cruise! :D