I Belize in MAGIC! MITSUGIRLY revisits the Western Route. My Novel.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:03 AM.
1,199 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
I did have a quick question about Rendevous Caye....I know you weren't in the beginner group but we would need to be. Do you have any idea of what I could expect in the beginner group?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My Cruise Countdown | I'm sailing to Alaska on 06/25/2019 aboard the Carnival Legend! Visit Carnival.com to see all Alaska cruises. My Cruise Countdown | I'm sailing to the Caribbean on 03/17/2018 aboard the Carnival Miracle! Visit Carnival.com to see all Caribbean cruises.

6/25/19 Carnival Legend
3/17/18 Carnival Miracle
6/22/17 Carnival Fantasy
11/19/16 Carnival Fantasy
11/10/16 Carnival Elation
3/19/2016 Carnival Paradise
1/28/16 Carnival Paradise
7/2/15 Carnival Paradise
3/21/15 Carnival Glory
4/2/15 Carnival Fascination
6-28-2014 Carnival Liberty
11/6/2011 Carnival Legend
12/7/2008 Carnival Triumph
12/2/2006 Carnival Glory
OH
25,044 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by elainmir
I did have a quick question about Rendevous Caye....I know you weren't in the beginner group but we would need to be. Do you have any idea of what I could expect in the beginner group?
They are pretty much in the same area and will see the same things but they just don't go out as far or as long as we did. We went out and down then back.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL:
EPIC SPIRIT PEARL STAR JEWEL GETAWAY SUN SKY DAWN BREAKAWAY JADE EPIC
CARNIVAL:
Dream Pride Breeze Fascination Conquest Magic
ARUBA: Arashi Beaches Animals Sites
BAHAMAS:Great Stirrup Cay Half Moon Cay Blue Lagoon Melia Junkanoo Paradise
BARBADOS:Boatyard
BELIZE:Cavetubing Cavetubing Bannister Shark Ray Alley Goffs Rendezvous
BERMUDA: Horseshoe Snorkel Park Tobacco St Catherines Achilles Jet Ski/boat rental Warwick-Horseshoe Long Bay-Clearwater Tobacco Snorkel Park
COSTA MAYA:Almaplena Maya Chan Nohoch Blue KayBlueKay
COZUMEL:Chankanaab Dolphin Swim Chankanaab Nachi Playa Mia Sanchos Passion Island Palancar Money Bar Paradise
CURACAO Diving
DOMINICAN REPUBLIC:Saona
GRAND CAYMAN:Stingray Sandbar Stingrays, Rum Point
GRAND TURK:BohioGovernorsGibbs
ROATAN: LFKey LFK Maya Key West Bay ZiplineLFK scuba
SAN JUAN:Pamelas
ST KITTS:Reggae Carambola
ST LUCIA: Jalousie
ST MAARTEN:Orient & Maho Mullet Maho Divi Pinel
ST THOMAS:Saphhire Coki Linquist Coki
TORTOLA: Baths
Ohio
6 Posts
Joined Apr 2016
"
Originally posted by mitsugirly
The night before the cruise and I'm still waiting on socks and undies from the hubby...as always. I promise you one of these days he'll leave and not have any because I'll get tired of reminding him to pack them. But, for the most part, I managed to get all of our packing done in about a day. I'm a planner...this never happens...wish me luck that I didn't forget anything.

We had picked a late day straight flight, since our family is really not a "morning" family, and this always works out nicely for us...especially when Kendra is involved.

We left the house around 9:45am so that we could get some breakfast prior to getting to the airport.

Sakari was so sad to leave her dog at home and hugged him forever. It was like he knew something was happening and kept sniffing the luggage.

We have been driving ourselves to the airport for the last few years (instead of having someone drop us off) and it works out better for us. I just hate depending on others to be punctual. Kendra...she still relies on others to drop her family off and as always, ran into some snags. The person who said they would take her wouldn't answer the phone that morning and left her struggling to find an alternative. Eventually she did, but I don't need that type of stress added to my life.

It was COLD outside. We live in Ohio and it's officially winter. We found it to be colder at the airport than at home...probably because it's out in the open.

We arrived at the parking lot, pulled our luggage out, then jumped back in the warm vehicle until we seen the shuttle coming, then sprinted to the bus stop.

But first some selfies with snapchat to entertain each other...

Then off we went to the airport on the shuttle.

Daddy and Sakari were continuing their fun on the shuttle over to the airport.

Hi Kim!! I've been reviewing some of your posts for awhile now! Super detailed which I LOVE! I always drive myself crazy trying to decide what to do at Port! I'm cruising this itinerary in May. I'm torn between west bay beach or LFK? For the the best beach and beautiful waters, which of the 2 would u prefer. P.S. I'm also from Ohio!! 😄
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Amanda Madden💕
URL=https://www.cruisecritic.com/][/URL
Carnival Paradise 11/16/17
Carnival Sunshine 11/11/16
Carnival Ecstacy 5/29/16
Carnival Conquest 9/1/15
OH
77 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
The night before the cruise and I'm still waiting on socks and undies from the hubby...as always. I promise you one of these days he'll leave and not have any because I'll get tired of reminding him to pack them. But, for the most part, I managed to get all of our packing done in about a day. I'm a planner...this never happens...wish me luck that I didn't forget anything.

I'm only on page 13 so far, so I don't know if you've mentioned this or not--what brand is your luggage? Are they carry on size, or larger, full-size?
4 Posts
Joined Mar 2018
is this an insider thing? will there be a lot of rocks about. My daughter might like doing something like this.

So, we will start this review out a week before the cruise.

It was a HECTIC week! Anyone who follows my reviews knows that my daughter, Sakari, LOVES to draw. It's her life. She's very good at it. She has been tested the last 2 years and determined to be "gifted" in arts. I'm so proud of her. However, this time around was a little different. I received notice that her name was submitted to the gifted program and they were requiring an art portfolio to be submitted for consideration to the arts school program. She doesn't have a portfolio and I keep a majority of her work in tote(S) that I would have to frantically run around trying to locate some of her best work to submit.

The other issue was, this portfolio was to be submitted on the day we leave for vacation AND she was supposed to have an interview on the day we return from vacation. Mom-panic-mode kicked in.

I still needed to pack and double up on seeing patients for the week and now this.

It was a very long week, but we managed to be able to submit prior to that friday and they agreed to forgive her for not being able to make it to the interview. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If she's accepted, this means she will get to go to the arts school in 6th grade and automatically be enrolled in the arts high school.

Everyone keep your fingers crossed for us!

Ok, next deadline for that week....Friendship/kindness rock painting. What? Never heard of it. However, there were a few people on our roll call for this cruise that does this and posted their rocks. I instantly fell in love...and thought this was right up Sakari's alley! I showed her and she immediately wanted to do some for the cruise.

We headed out to buy the supplies and came home that night and started painting.

She was loving this new "artsy" thing to do.

We had so much fun that we think we are going to make this an event that we do for every cruise.

This was the first batch, but we did a second batch later in the week and for some reason I don't think I got a picture of them.

Even Kolin, my youngest son, joined in one night and had some fun coming up with ideas to paint.

I guess people have groups all over the place that paint rocks and they leave them in areas for others to find. They either keep them or move them somewhere else. I believe they are meant to brighten someone's day. So, hopefully we would be able to do that for several people on the cruise.
Kansas City (Gladstone) , MO
3,786 Posts
Joined May 2006
First, I want to say Sakari your daughter is a doll, so cute, and artistic at the same time.

I wanted to reply to Ameliaatsea who had ask a question of what kind of luggage you had? This is just MY response. The luggage I have now (had it for over 20 years (cruised over 25 years)and I really did not need to replace it, other than our cat had got cat hairs on it, and I wanted a NEW set.The luggage is called Ricardo of Hollywood. I don't know if you have a Kohl's, but if you do, they have wonderful sales, and you can save a lot of money on luggage. As I said, I really didn't need a new set, but found out that Kohl's had the same brand that I had from over 20 years ago, and I never had so many people "wishing" they had my luggage. The reason why.............this luggage has MORE compartments/zippers than you will find in the best name brands.
OH
25,044 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by amandajnickel
"
Hi Kim!! I've been reviewing some of your posts for awhile now! Super detailed which I LOVE! I always drive myself crazy trying to decide what to do at Port! I'm cruising this itinerary in May. I'm torn between west bay beach or LFK? For the the best beach and beautiful waters, which of the 2 would u prefer. P.S. I'm also from Ohio!! 😄
Just MY opinion...I love LFK. It is just so beautiful there and there's a lot of options for the beaches (they have several) and jumping off the 2 story deck, swinging rope, snorkeling and so on. It's just so beautiful and relaxing there. It is truly a paradise. They have added a lot of things since I was there last...like hammocks and swings in the water and so on.

As for West Bay, I seriously have not had any luck with that place each time I have went. The water stirred up, it raining and just no luck getting to snorkel that area even though it is supposed to be awesome! As for the beach, I personally just find it a typical beach, lined with beach bars or hotels. It doesn't "appear" to be anything extra ordinary to ME. I think the attraction to this place is the snorkeling itself. There are a lot of vendors on the beach that will hound you non-stop. I even had one come out in the water to try to get me to buy something before.

What part of Ohio are you from?

Originally posted by AmeliaAtSea
I'm only on page 13 so far, so I don't know if you've mentioned this or not--what brand is your luggage? Are they carry on size, or larger, full-size?
Um, I'm not even sure. I'd have to look. I'm sure it's just some off brand luggage. I usually just pick them up at places like Marshalls. We travel a lot and seem to always break the wheels...so they are probably on the "cheaper" side. I believe I pay anywhere between $50-100. They are full sized luggage and pretty big. Of course I always have to have something that stands out so that I can spot it in a crowd of luggage. They are the hard case ones. We tried the soft case and they didn't last long at all. I would say I buy new luggage every 4-5 years. So, that's good enough for me before getting another.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL:
CARNIVAL:
BERMUDA: Horseshoe Snorkel Park Tobacco St Catherines Achilles Jet Ski/boat rental Warwick-Horseshoe Long Bay-Clearwater Tobacco Snorkel Park
COZUMEL:Chankanaab Dolphin Swim Chankanaab Nachi Playa Mia Sanchos Passion Island Palancar Money Bar Paradise
CURACAO Diving
Ohio
6 Posts
Joined Apr 2016
Just MY opinion...I love LFK. It is just so beautiful there and there's a lot of options for the beaches (they have several) and jumping off the 2 story deck, swinging rope, snorkeling and so on. It's just so beautiful and relaxing there. It is truly a paradise. They have added a lot of things since I was there last...like hammocks and swings in the water and so on.

As for West Bay, I seriously have not had any luck with that place each time I have went. The water stirred up, it raining and just no luck getting to snorkel that area even though it is supposed to be awesome! As for the beach, I personally just find it a typical beach, lined with beach bars or hotels. It doesn't "appear" to be anything extra ordinary to ME. I think the attraction to this place is the snorkeling itself. There are a lot of vendors on the beach that will hound you non-stop. I even had one come out in the water to try to get me to buy something before.

What part of Ohio are you from?

Um, I'm not even sure. I'd have to look. I'm sure it's just some off brand luggage. I usually just pick them up at places like Marshalls. We travel a lot and seem to always break the wheels...so they are probably on the "cheaper" side. I believe I pay anywhere between $50-100. They are full sized luggage and pretty big. Of course I always have to have something that stands out so that I can spot it in a crowd of luggage. They are the hard case ones. We tried the soft case and they didn't last long at all. I would say I buy new luggage every 4-5 years. So, that's good enough for me before getting another.

Sadly I’m from Portsmouth. I Actually went to Portsmouth High School. I’m sure you’ll know the town all to well lol . My kids thankfully don’t go there , they go to Wheelersburg.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Amanda Madden💕
Carnival Ecstacy 5/29/16
Carnival Conquest 9/1/15
OH
25,044 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by cxr133
is this an insider thing? will there be a lot of rocks about. My daughter might like doing something like this.
The rock painting is just something people do all over the world (that I'm aware of) and it's just spreading friendship. I learned about it from someone on our last cruise roll call and we decided to try it. There were quite a few people on my last cruise doing it, but you don't just see them laying around and they are hard to find or come by. We haven't even done any yet for our upcoming cruise. Maybe we should get on that. LOL

Originally posted by beshears
First, I want to say Sakari your daughter is a doll, so cute, and artistic at the same time.

I wanted to reply to Ameliaatsea who had ask a question of what kind of luggage you had? This is just MY response. The luggage I have now (had it for over 20 years (cruised over 25 years)and I really did not need to replace it, other than our cat had got cat hairs on it, and I wanted a NEW set.The luggage is called Ricardo of Hollywood. I don't know if you have a Kohl's, but if you do, they have wonderful sales, and you can save a lot of money on luggage. As I said, I really didn't need a new set, but found out that Kohl's had the same brand that I had from over 20 years ago, and I never had so many people "wishing" they had my luggage. The reason why.............this luggage has MORE compartments/zippers than you will find in the best name brands.
Aww, thanks so much for the comments on Sakari. She's my little artist for sure.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL:
CARNIVAL:
CURACAO Diving
OH
25,044 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by amandajnickel
Sadly I’m from Portsmouth. I Actually went to Portsmouth High School. I’m sure you’ll know the town all to well lol . My kids thankfully don’t go there , they go to Wheelersburg.
Yep, I used to have a friend that lived there and I would visit on the weekends.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL:
CARNIVAL:
CURACAO Diving
Ohio
6 Posts
Joined Apr 2016
Yep, I used to have a friend that lived there and I would visit on the weekends.
Not much to offer down here these days! 😑 I see you’re a nurse. I’m a Respiratory Therapist. More things in common than one would’ve thought! 🤣
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Amanda Madden💕
Carnival Ecstacy 5/29/16
Carnival Conquest 9/1/15
368 Posts
Joined May 2017
FINAL THOUGHTS ON RENDEZVOUS CAYE

I think by now you all can figure out that I absolutely LOVED this place.

It was a beautiful little island. It was nicely landscaped. The palapa huts were huge and had plenty of room with chairs and even tables under some of them.

It seemed like there was plenty of room there and everyone was all spread out. I liked that.

The 2 beaches there were ok and good enough for cooling off. Not a lot to see snorkel wise from the beach, but a few things.

The snorkeling....ah the snorkeling...simply amazing. I don't think pictures really do anything justice. Man was this place awesome! I don't think I have ever been on a snorkeling excursion (or even on my own) where we got to see so much all in the same encounter.

The guides were amazing!

I can't recommend this excursion enough. I would go back in a heart beat.

The ONLY thing that was an issue today was...the wind. Lordy lordy it was crazy. But of course, that's no fault of the excursion, Carnival or the vendors. It has been a rainy week for them and the water was a little outraged, so I would expect it to be windy. It was no big deal though. Nothing could have messed that day up.

The only other thing is the time. They really could and should extend the time. There's absolutely no reason to come back that soon. Seriously!

We pulled up at the island at 9:45am.
We pulled away from the island at 12:26
We had approximately 2 hours and 45 minutes on the island, which included our snorkeling time.
1 hour was spent snorkeling.
I guess if you factor in a 40 minute boat ride there and 40 minutes back, you are looking at a total time of around 4 hours...as the tour said.

Just.not.enough.time !!!!

Highly recommend this place!

I'm thinking there are no showers on RENDEZVOUS CAYE is that true?
OH
25,044 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by AmBear
I'm thinking there are no showers on RENDEZVOUS CAYE is that true?
Actually I'm really not sure. I know they had something right on the dock, but those could have been restrooms. They had changing rooms on the actual "land/beach". Hopefully someone can answer your question.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL:
CARNIVAL:
CURACAO Diving
225 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
Thanks, Kim! Based on your reviews and notes, you made our Magic vacation a triumph. We enjoyed Paradise Beach in Cozumel, CaveTubing.Bz in Belize, Little French Key in Roatan, and Blue Kay in Costa Maya. Each stop was a delight. However, Blue Kay tried to charge us $15 per adult (including 2 drink tickets) instead of the $7 you had written about. I had to mention you and your Cruise Critic write-up in order to get the $7 charge...it was more cost efficient for us to do the $7 charge per person...$21 dollars per family instead of $30...one of the families don't drink at all.
OH
25,044 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by attran99
Thanks, Kim! Based on your reviews and notes, you made our Magic vacation a triumph. We enjoyed Paradise Beach in Cozumel, CaveTubing.Bz in Belize, Little French Key in Roatan, and Blue Kay in Costa Maya. Each stop was a delight. However, Blue Kay tried to charge us $15 per adult (including 2 drink tickets) instead of the $7 you had written about. I had to mention you and your Cruise Critic write-up in order to get the $7 charge...it was more cost efficient for us to do the $7 charge per person...$21 dollars per family instead of $30...one of the families don't drink at all.

I'm so glad you sound like you had a wonderful cruise and picked some great places to go!

It pains me to know that they keep changing their story about the pricing. I had a long talk with the lady about this and expressed everyone's concerns here at cruise critic. You would have thought that she got the hint but I guess not. It's such a beautiful place to go. I hate that the pricing can deter some from going.

Just know also that the "drinks" also include soda and stuff as well.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL:
CARNIVAL:
CURACAO Diving
kentucky
284 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Originally posted by attran99
We enjoyed Paradise Beach in Cozumel, CaveTubing.Bz in Belize, Little French Key in Roatan, and Blue Kay in Costa Maya.
We are doing this same itinerary in September. Do you remember which night was the 2nd elegant night?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Elation: Nov. 2012 E172 + Oct. 2013 M65
Carnival Triumph: Oct. 2014 1052

Carnival Dream: Aug. 2016 10-255 + Sept. 2017 11-234
UP NEXT: Carnival Dream: September 2018
225 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
Originally posted by grantbob
We are doing this same itinerary in September. Do you remember which night was the 2nd elegant night?
Costa Maya (Thursday) was the second elegant night. Convenient because you have to be back on board by 1:30PM...so plenty of time to get ready.
Kansas City (Gladstone) , MO
3,786 Posts
Joined May 2006
As was said, Costa Maya was the 2nd elegant night. Also, since Friday night everyone is packing to get their luggage out by 11:00PM, (out of state rooms by 8:00AM on Saturday) or are taking it off with them, it would rush to have elegant night on Friday night.
OH
25,044 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by mi3stooges
WOW!! Absolutely fun packed! Question about the Costa Maya port, the pool that was in the pictures, is there a fee to use it? TIA

Nope, free to use!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL:
CARNIVAL:
CURACAO Diving