Zuiderdam 2/28/2018: Not perfect but very nice.

GE Mom

We just returned from an 11 day partial transit of the Panama Canal on HAL Zuiderdam. As has been reported many times, the crew and the food were great, but the ship needs improved attention to maintenance. None of the many maintenance problems really interfered with our vacation, but I'm surprised that HAL allows this situation to continue. Some of the improvements from the recent drydock were very helpful. I'm sure some of these, like the worn carpeting in the Deck 3 dining room, will be addressed in the future. The decor is very attractive.

Embarkation was SLOW. We had to stand in line for over an hour which is very hard for older passengers. There were not enough agents checking people in.

We had a veranda stateroom Room 6110. It was quite small, lacked storage space, and had a lot of maintenance issues. It would be really hard to manage in that room on a longer cruise, and we spent a lot of time trying not to trip over each other. We love sitting on the veranda watching the ocean go by, and that's why we cruise.

I did miss the library at the Crow's Nest, though there are still some books there. We saw the stage shows, which are performed with recorded not live music. We didn't see BB King, though we listened from outside the packed room for a while. We saw a movie at the screening room. The chairs there are so over sized that they are uncomfortable; if they were more normally scaled, they could fit more viewers into the room. We enjoyed the food in the main dining room as well as the Lido, though the Lido is seriously overcrowded at peak hours. The crew were outstanding, as always.

I wish HAL would do a better job of organizing the shore excursions. On the day we went to the Canal, all those who would be leaving the ship at Gatun Lake were jammed into the MainStage, then sent slowly snaking down the corridors to board the tenders. It was very crowded and uncomfortable. and given the age of the HAL clientele a really bad choice.

We took the ferry through the Canal to Panama City, and of course, that's what we came to see. Really interesting. We got lucky that it was overcast and cool with a nice breeze. The ferryboat was crowded and uncomfortable, and it was very hard to see the sights from the boat. A buffet lunch was served, and it was nearly inedible. Our guide was very well informed, but he had strong opinions on historical and political issues that differed from my own. It got tiresome listening to him bash the Spaniards, who, of course, committed multiple atrocities against the natives. But we can't undo that, now.

I am always impressed with how efficiently HAL manages the disembarkation process. I just wish they'd apply some of their crowd management skills to boarding and shore excursions!

So all in all, the cruise was very nice, and we're very glad we went. But some improved attention to maintenance, entertainment and the shore excursions would be helpful.

We had a veranda stateroom Room 6110. It was quite small, lacked storage space, and had a lot of maintenance issues. It would be really hard to manage in that room on a longer cruise, and we spent a lot of time trying not to trip over each other. We love sitting on the veranda watching the ocean go by, and that's why we cruise.

Thank you for your review, GE Mom. Can you please elaborate on the maintenance issues with your cabin #6110.

Thank you for your review, GE Mom. Can you please elaborate on the maintenance issues with your cabin #6110.

Let's see: there was a soft spot under the bathroom floor, felt squishy. I think water had gotten under the flooring. A buildup of gunk on the toilet flush button. Excessive caulk around the bathtub. A cracked shelf in the closet. Dirty floor on the veranda. Rust spots on the metal railings. Dirty panes on the railing. Cracked and dirty caulking around the outside doorknob.

That kind of thing. Didn't detract from our enjoyment of our vacation, but should be taken care of.

We were on the same cruise in November and had a great cruise. Our balcony stateroom was great and we were very comfortable. Sorry you had issues.

They had replaced all the flooring except the MDR which we thought was fine. Did you notice if the deck chair pads on the promenade have been replaced?

We were on the same cruise in November and had a great cruise. Our balcony stateroom was great and we were very comfortable. Sorry you had issues.

They had replaced all the flooring except the MDR which we thought was fine. Did you notice if the deck chair pads on the promenade have been replaced?

I believe they were new -- pretty blue striped pattern.

I find the maintenance on the veranda's is often wanting. Seldom had an issue on the interior so I am surprised.

I have often thought that the interior and exterior may be different departments and budgets but have no idea.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Forums mobile app

I think they may also have a harder time performing the maintenance. Passengers complain when there is maintenance to be done on the verandahs. But then the Passengers complain when they cannot use their verandah because of maintenance. It's a no-win situation for HAL. And unfortunately, it's not the kind of maintenance that can be performed at dry dock and then not again until the next dry dock. Salt water is corrosive. Sailing out in the salt water means there needs to be constant maintenance.

I think they may also have a harder time performing the maintenance. Passengers complain when there is maintenance to be done on the verandahs. But then the Passengers complain when they cannot use their verandah because of maintenance. It's a no-win situation for HAL. And unfortunately, it's not the kind of maintenance that can be performed at dry dock and then not again until the next dry dock. Salt water is corrosive. Sailing out in the salt water means there needs to be constant maintenance.

There are also environmental restrictions for "run-off water" if they try to clean the sides of the ships while they are in port. Salt water is very corrosive and leaves sticky residues on the glass verandah panels - never were noticed before when they were opaque metal but now this normal salt residue is all too obvious on the glass. We occasionally reach over and wipe some of it down ourselves.

You are right, these are often no-win situations. I am glad they do as well as they do considering the inventory they have to maintain and keep the ships in operation at the same time. On-goiing painting or leaving rust spots exposed is another no-win.

Let's see: there was a soft spot under the bathroom floor, felt squishy. I think water had gotten under the flooring. A buildup of gunk on the toilet flush button. Excessive caulk around the bathtub. A cracked shelf in the closet. Dirty floor on the veranda. Rust spots on the metal railings. Dirty panes on the railing. Cracked and dirty caulking around the outside doorknob.

That kind of thing. Didn't detract from our enjoyment of our vacation, but should be taken care of.

Happy to read you enjoyed your vacation in spite of the cabin issues. Agree it should be taken care of and and seems to be a common theme the past few years with HAL's older ships.

Thank you for providing specifics about your own HAL maintenance concerns. This will be very helpful when others make overly general charges about "HAL maintenance" issues.

Happy to read you enjoyed your vacation in spite of the cabin issues. Agree it should be taken care of and and seems to be a common theme the past few years with HAL's older ships. HAL has lost sight of the need to pay attention to detail in housekeeping/maintenance.
We selected the Zuiderdam for itinerary in a future cruise and will remember to overlook the details. Edited by naskeag
Spelling

Thank you for the review. Exactly one week from today, I will be exploring the Zuiderman, with a drink in hand, and getting ready for a much needed cruise. I have been cruising, once a year, for the last 20 years (mostly with HAL). Some cruises were better than others but I always come off a ship feeling de-stressed and ready to face daily life again. There are only two things that would ruin a cruise for me: 1) the ship running out of food in mid-cruise, or 2) the ship sinking.

Thank you for the review. Exactly one week from today, I will be exploring the Zuiderman, with a drink in hand, and getting ready for a much needed cruise. I have been cruising, once a year, for the last 20 years (mostly with HAL). Some cruises were better than others but I always come off a ship feeling de-stressed and ready to face daily life again. There are only two things that would ruin a cruise for me: 1) the ship running out of food in mid-cruise, or 2) the ship sinking.

:'):')I agree....those two things would definitely ruin a cruise, lol!! I will be on the Zuiderdam April 1st....can't wait!!!