Mercury condition

wbrumel

Considering booking Mercury Mexican Riviera and I'm a little concerned about the condition of the ship due to its age. Any refurbishments recently or planned that anyone knows of? I see Century is having a major overhaul, and figure Mercury can't be far behind. How does she look?

Four couples were on the Mercury out of San Diego last Feb. We had a wonderful time. The crew was super, but the ship showed it wear in some areas. It did nothing to take away from our great time. We did several private tours that we booked on this board. Everything just worked out so well. We stayed the nite before the cruise at the Holiday Inn across from the pier. The group just walked to the cruise ship.

Nancy

The shape of the ship did not deter our great time on the Mercury -- the staff was the best on any ship! The only things we did not like was the small size of the indoor pool and the Martini Bar.

Again, the staff was just incredible! Friendly, outgoing, tried to do their best. BoBo in the Martini Bar was wonderful -- knew our names after the first night and did his best to work in the smallish bar with good humor and great drinks.

If you can get to the Mayan Palace tour in Acapulco, do it -- it is incredible!

Fran

We were on Mercury four months ago (review posted here on CC) and all is well. The ONLY condition problem was the annoying absence of a letter in the sign to the Palm Springs Grill. Hope somebody has fixed it FINALLY since then! -- TR

We were onboard last month and we did not notice any wear and tear out of the ordinary. All in all the cruise was great.

I second the comments about the Martini bar, it is small but BoBo is fantastic. If you meet him tewll him Randy and Lori (remind him of the Sake bottles and he will know who you are talking about) said hello.

We just got off the Mercury Nov 21st. It was our first Celebrity cruise. The ship is in great shape. Didn't notice any wear & tear!!!

My only complaint was that the pool and hot tub closes at 8 & 9pm:confused: Nobody could give an explanation as to that. Also there is a major rumbling vibration at the back of the ship. we were in Panaramo #8047 and got a very early wake up call everytime we were in port. Would book closer to midship next time.

It was a great cruise and would do it again. Any questions and i'll be happy to answer.:D

The Mayan Palace tour was thru Celebrity. It was transportation to the Mayan Palace and lunch. Beautiful resort, lovely Mexican buffet lunch. They have a fantastic pool area -- looks like it goes into the ocean from the main lobby. Really a wonderful experience.

UOTE=rubrrick]What is the Mayan Palace tour? Is this a shore excursion from the ship or an outside vendor?

Rick

The Mayan Palace tour was thru Celebrity. It was transportation to the Mayan Palace and lunch. Beautiful resort, lovely Mexican buffet lunch. They have a fantastic pool area -- looks like it goes into the ocean from the main lobby. Really a wonderful experience.

UOTE=rubrrick]What is the Mayan Palace tour? Is this a shore excursion from the ship or an outside vendor?

Rick

Thanks flowy. We have a condo in Cancun and have spent many days over the past 20 years visiting Mayan ruins in the Yucatan and beyond. I didn't realize that there were Mayan ruins on the west coast. Maybe it's just a beautiful resort with artifacts from the Mayas.

Rick

I've been on Mercury twice in the last couple of years and she's fine. Considering her age, yeah, she is looking a wee bit tired, but the friendliness and hard work of the staff and crew more than makes up for it. We did the Nov 21 Mex run and during that trip I did see some crew members applying some blue touch up paint on the rails of deck 6.

I had heard she's schedule for dry dock this year, but since her orig launch date was '97, it would make more sense that she goes in for her refit next year. Century is scheduled this year.

For kpalmer7...

Also there is a major rumbling vibration at the back of the ship. we were in Panaramo #8047 and got a very early wake up call everytime we were in port.

I think the vibrations you felt are the forward and aft side thrusters used for docking. :)

• 1 month later...

I emailed Celebrity last week because I was concerned about the shape The Mercury will be in when we sail next Feb. They emailed me back and said that she will go into dry dock 4/13/2007.

From what I am reading she still looks fine.

I just booked a 10 night Cruise on Mercury for 4/6/07 today........nothing was said about a dry dock appointment on 4/13/07.............How can they book cruises for the same dates when planning a dry dock?????? Say it ain't so!!!

Wbrummel

We did back to back Mexican Riviera Cruises on Mercury on 1/13 and 1/23 and had a absolutely fabulous time. I would say 98% of the ship was in great shape, several worn chair corners and the like, but nothing that detered us from having a great vacation. Would like to see them replace bedspreads and linen which wouldn't require a drydock to do. They were always clean just a little too worn for my liking. We asked our cabin steward for a egg crate mattress for the bed and it did help ALOT, so I would suggest asking one when you board. The crew was one of the best, if not the best, we have ever had on any of our 16 cruises on various cruise lines.

Hurricanes are always possible in the Pacific just not nearly as likely as the Atlantic and the Caribbean.

As far as excursions I would encourage you to look up Mazatlan Frank when you visit Mazatlan, he is a private contractor but is fabulous. I heard about him through this board and when we were in port he had his van full of other cruisers that had booked with him in advance on line. He does not collect any money from you until he brings you back to the ship so you have no worries about him leaving you on the pier.

I'm sure you will have a great time if you choose this cruise, we sure did.

Mary:D

I just booked a 10 night Cruise on Mercury for 4/6/07 today........nothing was said about a dry dock appointment on 4/13/07.............How can they book cruises for the same dates when planning a dry dock?????? Say it ain't so!!!

I would try calling Celebrity. Maybe the person that emailed me back got the dates mixed up. Hope every thing works out OK.

The Mercury is generally in good shape. On my October sailing, the cabins - at least the two we had - were looking worn and in need of new bedding, case goods and bathrooms. We had intermittent problems with elevators not working and in the Martini Bar the AC was broken for the duration of the cruise.

The public areas looked just fine except for the gym which had really old equiment (some in need of repair) and very little of it. This was the most dated area of all.

According to X, Mercury is NOT slated to have a redo like Century, period. Perhaps that will change but I was told this in specific answer to a question I asked while on board in a TA seminar.

Archived