Mallorca - Sollar Train

How available are tickets for the historic Sollar Train on a walk up basis? I will be there on Saturday in late Aug. Does anyone know how to reserve/purchase only the train tickets in advance? There is a package offer (train, tram, boat) to reserve and purchase ahead, but no info on train ticket only. When you email to the Sollar train contact, they reply with the comb. tour link only. Has anyone taken this train? Is it worth my effort to try for tickets when we dock in Palma?

How available are tickets for the historic Sollar Train on a walk up basis? I will be there on Saturday in late Aug. Does anyone know how to reserve/purchase only the train tickets in advance? There is a package offer (train, tram, boat) to reserve and purchase ahead, but no info on train ticket only. When you email to the Sollar train contact, they reply with the comb. tour link only. Has anyone taken this train? Is it worth my effort to try for tickets when we dock in Palma?

Staying in Majorca near Palma, hotel checked train times for us. We got a taxi to the station in Palma bought our tickets and enjoyed spectacular train journey. Spent some time in Soller then got tram to Puerto Soller, another great ride. It`s like going through peoples gardens. I know you wll enjoy it but check train times on internet so to avoid just missing a train or having a long wait for the next. :)

• 9 months later...

We are interested in taking the Soller train when we arrive in Palma on June 16. We are on the Holland America. We can disembark at 9 am and we depart at 6 pm. How did you manage your trip to Soller? Did you get advance tickets? I would appreiciate details and any recommendations. I am concerned about getting to the train station, do you know if it is far from the port?

Thank you so much for your help,

Ellen

My hubby and I visited Palma for a long weekend over Easter and we did the Soller Train journey on the Saturday. Tickets for the next train are readily available from the Tren de Soller station, which is to the left of the main station as you are facing it.

Train times PALMA - Sóller:

• 08:00
  • 10:10
  • 10:50
  • 12:15
  • 13:30

Train times Sóller - PALMA :

• 09:10
  • 10:50
  • 12:15
  • 14:00
  • 18:30

Sometimes there is an extra train at 16:30. Soller is nice, Puerto Soller is interesting, but if you are stuck there as we were, until the next train and you also have the added panic of ensuring you catch your ship! Make sure you are there for the 14:00 train to Palma.

We got the bus from the port, to the train station. Then a short queue for tickets. The bus stop was quite close at the port, bus journey took about 30 minutes. Try a search on this site and Majorca on trip advisor for more details.

We are interested in taking the Soller train when we arrive in Palma on June 16. We are on the Holland America. We can disembark at 9 am and we depart at 6 pm. How did you manage your trip to Soller? Did you get advance tickets? I would appreiciate details and any recommendations. I am concerned about getting to the train station, do you know if it is far from the port?

Thank you so much for your help,

Ellen

We had a great day with no scheduling issues. You can not book a reservation or buy a ticket in advance that works with the cruise schedules. We got off the ship as soon as passengers were permitted to disembark, approx. 9 a.m. and took a taxi (2008 price $10 or $12) to the Sollar train station. The ride is approx. 10 min. You'll have plenty of time to purchase your ticket and even walk around a bit. If you need a restroom or a coffee shop, go down into the subway station (very clean and safe). The subway station is right across the street from the main entrance to the Sollar station; you'll see a large park and then the escalators. Take the down escalator and the coffee shop and restrooms will be to your left.

Our train departed around 10 a.m. Get on the train and select your seats as soon as boarding is permitted. I suggest sitting on the left side going to Sollar. It gets crowded. Don't be surprised if you are the only Americans or Canadians. We were the only English speaking couple on the train.

When you arrive in Sollar, walk down the steps at the station and turn right....no need to cross the street. You will see a visitor center on a section between the roads. The tram stop is on the right directly across from the visitor center. You will see a line begin to form for the tram to Sollar Port. The tram usually arrives within 10 to 15 min. after the train's arrival. It was running on the hour and half hours, but check the schedule. Tickets are purchased on board. We were on the 11 a.m. tram to Sollar Port.

We bought sandwiches and beverage and ate along the shore. You'll have time for a quick swim if you plan time well. Be sure to try some gellato while there; it is excellent. You'll need to get the tram that best works with the train schedule. We took the 1 p.m. tram. It gave us time to walk around Sollar and to see the Art Museum at the Sollar train station. We had plenty of time and probably would have been fine taking the 1:30 tram. The return train to Palma was scheduled for a departure shortly after 2 p.m. We took a taxi from the train station back to the ship. We were back on board by 4 p.m.

We would have liked to spend more time in Sollar Port, but we did the best given the cruise ship schedule. The train is unique and the ride scenic. I highly recommend doing it. We throughly enjoyed our day.

We were on a HAL ship. The port guide on board kept telling everyone to avoid the Sollar train because of the timing. If you take a watch, and use it to keep track of time; get train and tram schedules for the day (available at the station) and plan and stick to your schedule; you will not have a problem. You will enjoy the experience. We would do it again. We liked Sollar Port enough to return for an extended stay sometime in the future.

Have done the Soller train a few times now. As other posters have mentioned, beware of the lack of trains mid afternoon. Something like a 2-3 hour gap from 2pm - which will make getting back to your ship a little tight. Saying that there are also buses running back down to Palma from Soller all afternoon - this will give you longer at Soller - if this is an option take care to take the fast bus on the toll road - takes around 35-45 mins if I remember correctly - dont do as we did once - take the scenic bus which took around 2.5 hours along just about every hair-pin bend on the island !!:rolleyes:

Thank you for all that information...I'm going to do the train trip on my next cruise.

Can someone tell me how to pronounce Soller. I read that the double L is pronounced like an i , but I'm not sure how the er is pronounced.

Would it sound like So-eye-er or like So-eye-ier with the er sounding like the 'a' in take?

I don't think Soller rhymes with holler!!!

Thanks so much!!

Joyce :D

Can someone tell me how to pronounce Soller. I read that the double L is pronounced like an i , but I'm not sure how the er is pronounced.

Something like 'Soy-er'. A double-LL in Spanish usually has that 'Y' sound.

Archived