Advice on excursions in Mallorca and Gibraltar

Suebiker

Hi there

We are travelling on Ventura on the 24th April. Just looking at the available excursions. We fancy going on the train ride in Mallorca. But there a two trips - one goes to Soller and the other one goes to Puerto Soller. Has anyone been on either trip and which would you recommend?

Secondly we would like to go on a Dolphin watching trip in Gibratar. The brochure says it is suitable for children but we are a bit worried that it may not be suitable for our three year old daughter. does anyone know how big the boats they use are and is the area used likely to be rough at that time of year?

Thank You

Sue

I don't know about the sea state at Gibraltar but you might try and track ANTHEA down on Crows Nest - she lives in Gibraltar. What I would say though is that I have observed calms seas but also that it is the confluence of the Atlantic and Mediterranean.

Have you thought of showing your daughter the Barbary Apes? A taxi ride to the Moorish Castle above North Front and then possibly a walk up to Ince's Gallery. These tunnels are not claustrophic and there is a huge gallery called, IIRC, Cornwallis's where there have been formal dinners even.

At the other end of the Upper Rock is St Michael's caves with wonderful stalagtites and stalagmites and beautifully lit. I think a 3 yr old would be enthralled. A taxi ride is essential.

Since I was there there is also a cable car to the top.

Hi thanks for the reply

I think we will probably play it safe and organise another tour. I had thought about the caves but I thought they might be a bit scary for our daughter.

TBH it is me who really wants to see dolphins! (selfish I know) but I have never ever seen them and it is something I have always wanted to do. DH has very kindly said he will take out daughter out somewhere so that I can go on this trip. It's just it would be nicer if we could all go together.

Thanks for your advice and info - it is most helpful. I will try to contact Anthea and see if she can help

Sue

We fancy going on the train ride in Mallorca. But there a two trips - one goes to Soller and the other one goes to Puerto Soller. Has anyone been on either trip and which would you recommend?

No-one's come back on this point so I'll contribute something. (Apologies if you already know this stuff.) These journeys are actually one after the other. There's a narrow gauge railway (diesel powered, not steam) from Palma to Soller. Then beyond that there's a tramway from Soller to Puerto Soller. The first journey takes an hour or maybe a bit more, then the second take 20 minutes or so, I think. In high summer the tram especially can get very crowded.

Soller must be 25 kilometers or so from Palma, whereas Puerto Soller is just 3 or 4 kilometers further on. As the names suggest, Puerto Soller is the port for Soller town. In recent years it's become a small & neat resort. Both of these are beautiful places. They are both on the north side of the main mountains in Mallorca, the Serra Tramontana: Soller sits up in the hills a bit while Puerto Soller is obviously down on the coast. They're both a world away from the Palma Nova/Magaluf resorts that are seen as typical of "Majorca", and both are well worth a visit.

One problem is that the train (and bus) station in Palma is some distance - several miles - from the cruise terminal, but P&O will probably be running shuttle buses into the centre of Palma.

I don't know how long you've got in Palma but you'll need to plan your day carefully. Perhaps do the train + tramway one way, and then the bus back? You can get a bus all the way to Palma from Puerto Soller. Or be prepared to pay for a taxi back. Or even hire a car.

Have a look at this page or some initial info regarding the train, tram & bus:

http://www.tramuntana.info/transport.html

There's a lot of real beauty on Mallorca.

Thanks very much for your info on Mallorca

I would agree it's a lovely island and one of our favourite holiday destinations. However we have only been to the eastern side of the island. Always fancied a visit to Soller so when I saw these trips I was really pleased just didn't know which one to pick. I think I will try the Puerto Soller one as it means I will get to pass thru Soller and see there as well. Perhaps we will return there for a holiday!!!!!

Anyway many thanks for taking the time to respond - your info was very helpful

Sue

Sue, Mrs PN tells me that St Michael's is presently closed which is a shame as I don't think they would be scarey as they are lit with coloured lights.

Ince's gallery OTOH is not a little tunnel or cave. They are huge as they had to pull the cannon in. Every so often as large gun ports and Cornwallis's gallery is as big as a house. The ceiling is very high to create the dome effect for support. If she is willing to go in then I would not go beyond Cornwallis as this is a smalled tunnel to open up the airways and clear the gun smoke.

Apart from not touching the Apes, the Apes and Moorish Castle as surely a must see. Just keep purses and food waya from them.

Hi thanks for that info

Hmm not sure if i can cope with the monkeys. I'm sure DD would love it but keeping an eye on DD and trying to stop her touching the apes and watching the apes arn't trying to steal from us could be interesting.

Thanks

Sue

We did the train journey on our own in August two years ago. The bus stop is close to the port, cross over the road for the train. It was a great saving for our family. We had been to this area before, so just stayed a couple of hours, caught the train back, and still had time to look around Palma.

The public bus is not far from the dock. The bus ride is about 25 minutes it stops quite a few times. The driver told us when it was time to get off, then the train station was just over the road. If you go on the trip advisor site and search the majorca forum, there is lots of information.The same is true of this site if you search the boards.

I would think it's about 2 and a half miles or even further from the dock to the bus station.

Have a look at Google Maps for Palma de Mallorca, then zoom in. Both the train and bus stations are on Calle de Eusebi Estrada, which is to the NE of Plaza Espana - Plaza Espana is itself on the eastern or even north-eastern side of the city centre. The train station (which is tiny) is right by Plaza Espana, and the bus station is a good quarter mile or more up that road. The cruise terminal is to the SW. It's a long way round the bay - the first several quays, going westwards from the Cathedral, are basically marinas. If you look at the Google map, the cruise liners dock at the very 'angular' quay just to the north of the point where the map shows all the ferries stopping.

As I say, it's about two and a half miles or more. There are buses, but I can't remember the numbers. However, I would have expected that P&O would run shuttle buses round the bay to the city centre area. Any PandO Mallorca veterans care to comment?

I've twice been to Mallorca on a P&O ship, and on each case a free shuttle-bus was laid on that took us from the ship to a point within easy walking distance of Palma's rather wonderful cathedral and palace.

*DO* watch out for the ladies trying to "give" you a flower just outside the cathedral, many of them are expert pickpockets. One tactic is for them to say "Just one Euro, just one Euro", and while you are looking for a Euro, they'll get you flustered by saying "no, no, just 20 cents, just 20 cents" whilst pushing your hands away as you try to give them the Euro. And whilst doing so, they'll dip your wallet or purse.... and you won't realise it until you suddenly wonder where those 50 Euro notes have gone to! So if you are approached, just say "no, no" and they won't bother you.

Mallorca town centre is a short walk from the Cathedral, and is well worth looking around. The people are friendly, the art galleries are interesting, the bars are well worth stopping in for a cold beer on a hot day.

VP

Thanks again everyone for all you info,

I did actually look at google earth but I wasn't sure where the ship would dock. Thanks for that - Tom.

Glad to hear that P and O put on shuttle buses too!!!

With regard to the pick-pockets - they are a sad reflection of todays society i'm afraid. There were people doing exactly the same in Malaga last year and a group of what looked like school children with a petition - were also trying to steal too (although this was in Barcelona which is renoun for it!!!!)

My husband has always told me just to say no and keep walking - I used to feel bad. But now i realise why!!!!!!!! Thanks for the warning VP

Many thanks

Sue

Gibraltar

Apes - just sad. Animal exploitation. Avoid.

Caves: fabby. Really fabby.

War caves stuff: ok.

Go up the rock if you haven#t been before. Otherwise hit the shops, great prices on gold, booze etc. Then just sit in the square, drink up, enjoy.

Easiest port to plan because there's so little to do. But its nice, and very British. Eases you back into home.

xx

Archived