Hotel Jazz - Barcelona

My husband and I are cruising the Mediterranean on the Voyager in Sept. 09 and are going to stay one next prior and one night post cruise - has anyone stayed at the Hotel Jazz and what are your comments? We do not like spending much on hotels since we are only there to sleep - we prefer to spend elsewhere!!

We've not been there yet but have the Jazz booked for one night pre-cruise in July. Many people on Cruise Critic have recommended the Jazz as an economical choice just a few blocks off Las Ramblas near Cartalunya. A couple of days ago the price was down to 91 euros a night. That's really low compared to others. There only caution is that it's more of a business class hotel rather than resort class. That means not as many resort type amenities (there is a rooftop pool). But, as you, we're basically just looking for a place to sleep after a great day in Barcelona.

I did actually see it for 91 EUs on the Hotel Jazz website and on easytobook.com which is approximately $118 USD and no it did not include breakfast. I was also wondering - is it better to book on a travel website, such as Expeida or with the hotel directly, especially since I need one day before the cruise and one after?? :)

Thanks for the responses - I think I will book it through the hotel website. It seems very reasonable, very clean and comfortable from the many, many reviews that I have read on various websites. I am actually quite surprised there is not more talk of this hotel. Well, I guess I will see when I get there in September. :)

We stayed there last summer for a few nights before our cruise. I would highly recommend it. It was well located, clean, the AC worked well and the beds were comfortable. The staff was very helpful and friendly.

A group of 7 of us (four rooms) stayed there one night post-cruise in October, and we all thought it was great! The hotel is very modern and clean and in an excellent location, just a block from Placa Catalunya.

We arrived at the hotel early off the cruise ship and left our bags with reception, then went out to explore. If you go out the front door of the hotel, turn to the right and immediately cross the street, there is a hop-on hop-off bus depot right there. We went in, bought tickets and spent the next few hours getting a wonderful bus tour of the city... well worth the money, about 20 Euros maybe.

When we returned to the hotel, our rooms were ready and we took our bags up, freshened up a little then went back out to do some exploring on foot. NOTE: when you go into your hotel room, there will be a card reader on the wall right inside the door. You must put your room card into the reader in order to operate the lights in the room. I knew this, having encountered the same system in Cuba, and another of our group had seen it in India as well. The others stumbled around in the semi-dark for a while until they called us for help :D.

When we left the hotel again, we stopped at a little tapas restaurant for a late lunch (I won't recommend this place due mostly to incredibly lousy service), then walked down Las Ramblas for a while. Some of the group went all the way down Las Ramblas to the ocean, but my little group took a detour off Las Ramblas to the left and went over to the Barri Gothic to see the cathedral. We then continued our shopping expedition and arrived back at the hotel just as it was getting dark (a good sense of direction helps a lot!).

At this point we were all too tired to even think about dinner, and two couples had early morning flights, so we went to a little store, again to the right on coming out the front door of the hotel, but turn right onto the street instead of crossing it. Just a few doors down, there was a store which sold delicious fresh sandwiches and all manner of drinks, from water to Coke to beer and wine. We took our sandwiches up to the rooftop pool area, which had a couple of tables and chairs and was lit. It was a great place (weather happened to be unseasonably warm) to have a quiet bite to eat and review our day before going our separate ways in the morning. They did kick us off the roof however, since they closed the area at 9:00 p.m.

All of this to say, we thought the Hotel Jazz was an excellent choice, suited our needs perfectly, and we got it for a good price at the time... yours is even better! I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel.

Bonnie

Tropical-lovers..We are booked on the Voyager for sept 20...We booked the hotel Jazz for one night before and one night after..We booked it through Expedia and got what I thought was a pretty good deal(although we had to pay in advance) it's just one less expense we had to be concerned about.I booked it because of good revues(Tripadvisor)

Thanks for all of your positive responses - I am happy to say that I did book with Hotel Jazz, directly with the hotel for one night pre-cruise and one night post-cruise. We are so excited - this is only our second cruise and our first posting to Cruise Critic - though I must say since our first cruise and being introduced to this awesome website, I am hooked!! There is such a wealth of information, first-hand from members who have experienced others' concerns!!

Hotel Jazz was perfect for us. Two things no one has mentioned. We were allowed to check in at 7:30 am and we took a bus directly from the airport to 1 block away, saving a taxi cost. No problem taking our bags on the bus. It is possible to walk to the port, but it's a long way. Or you could just walk as far as the Columbus statute and get a taxi there.

Thanks, Sunshine Nana - our flight arrives around 9:30 a.m. or so and I was hoping that by the time we get our luggage and get to the hotel, our room would be ready as well - even moreso for the day after our cruise - we arrive in port at 6:00 a.m. I was also thinking about taking the bus from the airport - it seems to be fairly easy and inexpensive!

Hotel Jazz was perfect for us. Two things no one has mentioned. We were allowed to check in at 7:30 am and we took a bus directly from the airport to 1 block away, saving a taxi cost. No problem taking our bags on the bus. It is possible to walk to the port, but it's a long way. Or you could just walk as far as the Columbus statute and get a taxi there.

Just curious and I do not mean to sound rude, but I assume that you spent thousands of dollars on your cruise holiday. I really do not understand the mentality of walking from the hotel to the Columbus statue, through the very busy Ramblas, with luggage , to save maybe $10. We also prefer a taxi to having to lug our luggage on a bus to save $30.

BTw, we did enjoy the Hotel Jazz. Good location, very clean and quiet. Rooftop pool was nice at the end of a hot day of sightseeing. There is also a good Tapas restaurant not too far away, on Rambla Catalunya , just up from Gran Via. Look for the NH Calderon hotel, it is about 3-4 doors down from it. Do not recall the eaxct name but there is a Condial in the name. Rambla Catalunya is "up" from the Ramblas and is not the same street.

I think that's the point. Having spent thousands of dollars on the cruise, airfare, etc., one looks for easy places to economize. The Aerobus from the airport is a no brainer to me. Just as easy as a cab--you walk out the door from the airport and there it is. A very short walk to the hotel from Placa Catalunya.

OTOH, I also do not understand schlepping luggage all the way down Las Ramblas and over the big bridge to the cruise terminal. From our hotel (1898) it was a 13 euro cab ride. There is a big difference between walking a block or two with luggage, and walking 2 miles with luggage!

Cathy

Cathy, well said. Not all of us can spend unlimited $$$ but it is very easy to get the bus and the Hotel Jazz is a few minutes walk away and it is a nice Hotel for the price. I paid much more the first time for the Hotel Montcada. The beds were small and were also very hard. the Hotel Jazz is modern and lovely beds.

Archived