Barcelona Port, should I schedule excursion or do it ourselves.

azzy73

We are taking western Mediterranean cruise on NCL Epic leaving from Civitavecchia. I have excursions booked for a couple of our ports but I’m kinda stumped on whether we should do an excursion in Barcelona or do it ourselves wth the hop on hop off bus I’ve heard about. What are your suggestions/experiences? I don’t really know much about the city so don’t really have any must sees so not sure of what to do. TIA!

I took that cruise last year and left from Barcelona. We got in two days early to adjust for jet lag. I had never really looked into or considered Barcelona as a travel destination but was really surprised with how much I enjoyed the city. I’m going back this year. The HOHO bus is a great way to get around but a little prep for certain places will save you a lot of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Barcelona has become one of our favorite destinations. We used the HOHO bus on our first trip there. Look at the links provided on a previous post. I do not recommend just riding around on the HOHO bus. Pick what you want to see (Sagrada Fam, Parc Guell, etc.) and then determine if the HOHO makes sense or if taxis or public transportation make more sense.

Barcelona is a wonderful city and very easy to DIY. The Sagrada Familia is a must see for almost everyone - you need to book your tickets online to avoid the queues:

http://www.sagradafamilia.org/en/

There is much to see in this fascinating city - google "top 10 sights Barcelona" (or top 20) to get an idea of what interests you.

Barcelona is one of my favourite cities, it is vibrant, easy to get around and has so much wonderful architecture.

I have been a number of times and cannot decide what I have enjoyed most - Parc Guell, Sagrada Familia, Casa Batllo, Barcelona Cathedral, the Gothic Quarter, the Ramblas, Montjuic ... and if you happen to like football there is a stadium that is popular ;p;p

You cannot do all this in one day, you need to do a little research, Enric has given you some ideas, and decide what you want to do. The Hoho bus is not necessary, but it might be a good idea to buy entrance tickets for a couple of the sites ahead of time.

I am going to Alaska this year so I will miss out on BCN. I am a little sad about that.

Barcelona is one of my favourite cities, it is vibrant, easy to get around and has so much wonderful architecture.

I have been a number of times and cannot decide what I have enjoyed most - Parc Guell, Sagrada Familia, Casa Batllo, Barcelona Cathedral, the Gothic Quarter, the Ramblas, Montjuic ... and if you happen to like football there is a stadium that is popular ;p;p

You cannot do all this in one day, you need to do a little research, Enric has given you some ideas, and decide what you want to do. The Hoho bus is not necessary, but it might be a good idea to buy entrance tickets for a couple of the sites ahead of time.

I am going to Alaska this year so I will miss out on BCN. I am a little sad about that.

I love Barcelona but I truly love Alaska so I would not be sad about going there. :)

Keith

When my husband and I went to Barcelona last November, we researched what we wanted to do in 36 hours. One of the ways we got around Barcelona was using the public transportation system. What made it really easy was an app called citymapper. We would type in where we wanted to go and it would give us precise directions on how to do it (which train, what time the train was at, how to get to the train station...etc...buses...etc...). We had previously used it in rome and it was fantastic. We went all over Rome and Barcelona and it was very helpful; however, you do need to do your research beforehand. We wanted to see Park Guell but wanted to do the perimeter, not go inside, and it took right there from our hotel. Then onto the fountain. Then to Las Ramblas.

• 2 weeks later...

It is a very easy DIY city. We were there in 2018 pre and post cruise and loved it. We will be back in Ocober pre cruise and are looking forward to it. I did not end up booking a tour at La Sagrada Famiglia so I can't say to do this. I prefer a busy but relaxed day all the same. You cannot "see it all" while still experiencing the great vibe of Barcelona. I suggest going first to Sagrada Famiglia either as a tour or just to see the outside. It is unique! It is across a park and a casual little place for filled churros at 2E each! From there you can walk or cab to Playa Catalunya and walk on La Ramblas stopping at La Boqueria market) and grabbing a fruit smoothie. You can see some of Guadi's buildings on sidestreets and walk to the Gothic Quarter (all off La Ramblas). There are charming shops and amazing churches and an old Jewish quarter and lots of places for a bit of tapas and Sangria. Warning - prices are highest on La Ramblas as you get closer to the Columbus monument and further away from Playa Catulunya. Keep looking for what you really want to see and enjoy. You can walk most of it!