How expensive is the booze on Hurtigruten?

Twigalina

Thanks again.

Yeah, we had been wondering about sleeping in clothing, especially if we are further north and the sky isn't overcast. Sounds like that might make sense.

The Northern Lights "forecast" does show that Tromso was right "in the band" yesterday/today. Where were you? (Hmmm... wonder if the Lights are ever visible on the ship's webcam? That would be something!)

Glad that your children got to see some brilliant displays.

GC

We were well south of Tromsø heading further south hence why they were just a small display low in horizon at the back (north) of the ship. Bright moon last night also was competing for attention. We crossed the arctic circle this morning so I think our northern lights viewing is over now in this trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were well south of Tromsø heading further south hence why they were just a small display low in horizon at the back (north) of the ship. Bright moon last night also was competing for attention. We crossed the arctic circle this morning so I think our northern lights viewing is over now in this trip.

Thank you for your comment on the 'bright moon competition' - I checked the moon for January 2019 - Full Moon is January 21 - so moon might already bee to bright by January 16?

Another interesting this is a total Lunar Eclipse visible in Tromsø on 21. jan 2019.

Thank you for your comment on the 'bright moon competition' - I checked the moon for January 2019 - Full Moon is January 21 - so moon might already bee to bright by January 16?

Another interesting this is a total Lunar Eclipse visible in Tromsø on 21. jan 2019.

Maybe? Check also if it sets some time during the night. I was talking about the moonlight with people on deck last night and was told that a bright moon is not always a problem if the display is good and it can actually enhance some photos as the moon lights up the landscape.

From my limited experience it was a problem last night as the display was only ‘good’ for a short period of time then was fairly dim after that. The moon was also near the area of sky the display was in. On our great viewing night last week I can’t imagine stronger moonlight would have caused too much of an issue as the display was very bright and covered large areas of the sky.

Maybe? Check also if it sets some time during the night. I was talking about the moonlight with people on deck last night and was told that a bright moon is not always a problem if the display is good and it can actually enhance some photos as the moon lights up the landscape.

From my limited experience it was a problem last night as the display was only ‘good’ for a short period of time then was fairly dim after that. The moon was also near the area of sky the display was in. On our great viewing night last week I can’t imagine stronger moonlight would have caused too much of an issue as the display was very bright and covered large areas of the sky.

Thank you for your update - Can see you have left Rørvik and will be in Trondheim tomorrow at 06:30 am - enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Currently on Hurtigruten and have attempted to attach a beer and wine menu. Not sure it will work from my phone though.

Thanks for posting the wine & beer prices. Quite reasonable when compared to P&O Australia. From memory the cheapest bottle of wine on the P&O Aria was $30 AUD, and it was pretty ordinary. The beer seems a bit more expensive than Australian cruise lines though.

Thanks for posting the wine & beer prices. Quite reasonable when compared to P&O Australia. From memory the cheapest bottle of wine on the P&O Aria was $30 AUD, and it was pretty ordinary. The beer seems a bit more expensive than Australian cruise lines though.

I strongly believe the posted prices are by glass - not by bottle. A bottle of wine at Hurtigruten will be in order of 80 AUD or more.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I strongly believe the posted prices are by glass

With the "Hurtigruten White" being priced 95 NOK - yes, definitely by glass.

A half liter of boxed wine will cost you 600+ NOK in the Vinmonopolet off the ship. Expect ship's priced for bottled wine to be above that, 80 AUD for a bottle will probably be at the low end already.

Yep they are all by the glass for wine. Sorry I should have clarified as it is not immediately obvious from description. My wife and I took a liking to the Mack ciders only 74 kroner for a 330ml bottle. The full wine list is a large booklet to hard to photograph but took some shots of first couple pages of the fancier wines to add to my full review in due course. Also grabbed the a la carte upgrade menu if you really want to spend some money!

Currently in Singapore defrosting / melting before heading back to Australia. Hard to believe the trip is all over and reality soon awaits!

Yep they are all by the glass for wine. Sorry I should have clarified as it is not immediately obvious from description. My wife and I took a liking to the Mack ciders only 74 kroner for a 330ml bottle. The full wine list is a large booklet to hard to photograph but took some shots of first couple pages of the fancier wines to add to my full review in due course. Also grabbed the a la carte upgrade menu if you really want to spend some money!

Currently in Singapore defrosting / melting before heading back to Australia. Hard to believe the trip is all over and reality soon awaits!

Wow that is expensive. I seem to remember there is a dinner wine offer. I'll check that out - may be having an alcohol free cruise!

• 2 weeks later...
Wow that is expensive. I seem to remember there is a dinner wine offer. I'll check that out - may be having an alcohol free cruise!

No dinner wine deal offered by the glass. On the Spitsbergen. And the wine package is VERY expensive.

Most beer and wine is 110 nok each which for us is almost $14 each.

Hot tip!

We just left Hammerfest (south bound) and walked off the ship, straight down a block on the left is a shopping center. Right inside is a liquor store. We bought a bottle of wine for about what they charge for one glass on board.

My husband his beers for 1/3 the price onboard. We put into my empty purse and backpack and brought right into our room. Emptied out our pouches and went back out and loaded up again.

Well worth the effort. We’re another 4 nights on the cruise so now we have our drinks to have in our suite.

By the way the store also has hard liquor.

Hot tip!

We just left Hammerfest (south bound) and walked off the ship, straight down a block on the left is a shopping center. Right inside is a liquor store. We bought a bottle of wine for about what they charge for one glass on board.

My husband his beers for 1/3 the price onboard. We put into my empty purse and backpack and brought right into our room. Emptied out our pouches and went back out and loaded up again.

Well worth the effort. We’re another 4 nights on the cruise so now we have our drinks to have in our suite.

By the way the store also has hard liquor.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, it looks like the NB stop in Hammerfest is from 5:15-6:00 am.

(Can anyone confirm if this schedule is still correct?)

However, we might check in Bergen before we sail, so thanks for the information!

And there might be stores like this in other towns, with longer port stops.

GC

However, we might check in Bergen before we sail, so thanks for the information!

And there might be stores like this in other towns, with longer port stops.

GC

You can find a Vinmonopolet, which is the only retail company allowed to sell beverages containing an alcohol content higher than 4.75% in Norway, in the Bergen Storcenter (next to Bergen railway station) or at Valkendorfsgaten (3 minutes from the tourist information) in Bergen. Two more are located in central Trondheim, one is right of Skansegata in Ålesund.

Depending on which country's terms and condition you read, you are allowed to bring alcohol on board (up to two bottles, 1.5l, per person) but either have to check it in at the reception or not consume it on board... anyhow, they will mind much less than the large cruise lines. Don't take your wine to the restaurant but they will more than likely not care if you drink a can of beer or cider in your cabin, as long as you drink moderately.

You can find a Vinmonopolet, which is the only retail company allowed to sell beverages containing an alcohol content higher than 4.75% in Norway, in the Bergen Storcenter (next to Bergen railway station) or at Valkendorfsgaten (3 minutes from the tourist information) in Bergen. Two more are located in central Trondheim, one is right of Skansegata in Ålesund.

Depending on which country's terms and condition you read, you are allowed to bring alcohol on board (up to two bottles, 1.5l, per person) but either have to check it in at the reception or not consume it on board... anyhow, they will mind much less than the large cruise lines. Don't take your wine to the restaurant but they will more than likely not care if you drink a can of beer or cider in your cabin, as long as you drink moderately.

Thanks.

Our "problem" is that we really enjoy a nice red with dinner, so we are probably mostly a captive audience for the Hurtigruten wine list.

(At least it appears that they do have a few nice bottles that we'd enjoy. Nice wine on cruise ships tends to be pretty pricey, so we are used to this. We just figure it as part of the experience...)

Do they sell hot chocolate on board?

Maybe we'll try to get a little something to add to that, or to coffee. ;)

GC

• 6 years later...
On 1/25/2018 at 1:24 PM, aronde said:

Currently on Hurtigruten and have attempted to attach a beer and wine menu. Not sure it will work from my phone though.

Also we have had no trouble bringing the occasional drink on board from port stops. We just don’t make it obvious and there is no checking of bags or having to go thru scanners like on other cruise ships (yeah!).

I can also confirm as others have mentioned that tap water is available at lunch and dinner in the dining room. Juices are also available at breakfast.

1f55bb2020fbb01d669d0d0e1085bed5.jpg

8c47c0d77da72038990cff7c4e48e8f4.jpg

That's a lot cheaper than several years ago when the cheapest beer was about $12 a bottle on board.

8 hours ago, Woofbite said:

That's a lot cheaper than several years ago when the cheapest beer was about $12 a bottle on board.

That post with the menu is from 2018!!!  

~Nancy