Doing a "tour first, cruise second" Alaska cruisetour solo

elycelynne

Has anyone done this and if so, how did you handle your luggage? From what I understand (and someone correct me if I'm wrong), you have to have two suitcases -- One for the land portion and one for the cruise portion that's sent to the ship ahead of time. This seems like it might be difficult for a solo cruiser.

How much luggage will you have? If you just have one, you take it on land portion.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I had heard (or read) that for some reason you had to have one suitcase to be sent to the ship ahead of time (as opposed to the day you board). Is that not the case and I could just pack like I would for any normal cruise (one large suitcase and a rolling duffel)?

Which line are you going with? I did land and sea a couple of years ago with Holland America. It was clockwork. There was 'see you on the ship' suitcase and then the one you took along the way. They said we could only take one suitcase with us on the land portion but I was able to get an extra tag at the hotel so I could take two.

For the suitcase that went with you on the land portion you would put your suitcase out in the morning. They would pick it up and it would be in front or in your room at the next stop. Easy peasy.

If you are on Princess I would imagine it would be similar as they are sister lines.

Depending on your needs for the land tour, can you make your rolling duffle work? Alaska is a pretty casual place, so much dressing for dinner isn't required. Mix and match day clothes, decanted cosmetics to small containers, that sort of thing. Perhaps changing how you use your current luggage may work.

I would check the cruise line. They limit the number on the land portion so they have less bags to cart around. I don't think it's a requirement to have a bag for cruise only.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I agree with this. If you can fit everything in one suitcase then just carry it all. If you have two it is easier to just send one ahead to meet you at the ship.

Which line are you going with? I did land and sea a couple of years ago with Holland America. It was clockwork. There was 'see you on the ship' suitcase and then the one you took along the way. They said we could only take one suitcase with us on the land portion but I was able to get an extra tag at the hotel so I could take two.

For the suitcase that went with you on the land portion you would put your suitcase out in the morning. They would pick it up and it would be in front or in your room at the next stop. Easy peasy.

If you are on Princess I would imagine it would be similar as they are sister lines.

Also did this same land/sea tour with Holland America, which I highly recommend. This is exactly how it worked for us also. The suitcase I took with me on the land portion had just casual wear and all the stuff for shaving, brushing teeth etc. The other smaller suitcase that I sent ahead just had additional clothing and nicer wear for dinner times on the ship.

The Holland America system worked really well. Enjoy your trip!

For the land portion, was that one suitcase per person or per room?

For the land portion, was that one suitcase per person or per room?

Per person. But, like I said, I had no issue getting an extra tag for another bag at the hotel. I was with Holland. I think it was an extra carry on that I took with me but they had no idea how big my bag was when I got the tag.

What are you thinking?

I did a Princess land/cruise tour of Alaska a couple years ago. I was informed that you need two suitcases. One for land and one for sea. I took a small case (I used my small carryon) for my land portion and a larger case for cruise. Put your tags on and they will pick up at the hotel and store the cruise case and deliver it to your cabin on ship. The land case is picked up every day and delivered to your next hotel room. I had no problems with this. Delivered on time right to my room.

You can carry a small bag with you if you wish to keep up with it. I did not. Just had my handbag.

Also, I was also a solo traveler that trip. I had a blast and you will too!

I did and Alaska land and cruise tour on Princess Solo in September last year.

I flew into fairbanks, so what I did was pack one of the soft folding bags in my suitcase, then when I got to Alaska- I removed the clothes etc I need for the land portion and sent my cruise clothes ahead. you don't need anything fancy on the land portion (I wore Jeans)

I loved this trip

• 2 weeks later...

We did Holland America cruise tour last June. It was a great trip and we enjoyed every minute. We took a backpack each and 1 big suitcase each ( not a huge suitcase but one that would need to be checked on a plane). The Alaska cruises seem very casual. Our daily outfit on the tour part was jeans, long sleeved shirt and a puffy down vest. Always had a long sleeved fleece and windbreaker in the backpack. Our one piece of luggage came with us the whole trip and we were given times to have our bags outside the rooms and they were delivered to our rooms when we got to a new hotel. It was very well organized. I don't remember being told about 2 suitcases. Our trip was 10 days, 3days cruise and the rest land- 2nights Denali andDawson city, 1 Whitehorse,Fairbanks,Anchorage.

Sorry just retread title and you are doing tour first so hope this still gives some info

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You don't need 2 suitcases. Simply, just take one. They aren't going to kick you off the tour. If you are land touring first- tag that bag for the land tour. They aren't discarding them into never never land after the land tour. They are going to the ship as well.