Question regarding Google Maps using T-Mobile North America Unlimited Data Plan

jollyflute

Hello Everyone,

I would appreciate if any of you fellow cruisers can help with this question.

My wife and I will be on RC Serenade Of The Seas to Norway starting from Copenhagen this coming August.

We would like to go around using google maps. Anybody knows if

1. T-Mobile North America Unlimited Data Plan works in Norway & Copenhagen the same as in most UK and Southern Europe cities?

2. Will the speed be enough for google maps application?

Thank you so much for the help.

Jollyflute.

In general the data coverage in both Denmark and Norway is very good - you should be able to use it for Google Maps and other web services - no connection when at sea between Denmark and Norway - connection when in port and sailing in the Norwegian fjords.

We had no problem with the google maps while there. You usually get a text from T-Mobile when you enter a new country which shows you the charges. For us, usually free text and data (slower), but phone calls can cost anywhere from 20 cents to 5 dollars per minute depending on where (which country) you are in. Just our experience. Just don't use it on the ship before you reach port--you will be under the ships' ($$$) program.

Love T mobile's international coverage! DD studied abroad last year, and used it all over Europe, including farther away places suck as Copenhagen and Budapest. We met her and traveled through Amsterdam, relying heavily on google maps. We plan on using it on a Baltic Cruise this summer.

If you go to T mobile's website, you can put in the countries you are traveling to, and they will show you a coverage map for the entire country. We have had excellent coverage in many places in the world. The only time we ever had difficulty was one trip to St. Thomas, where we had no coverage. Of course, that was a US territory. ;p

Try using the app maps.me, download it in the US of the countries that you will be visiting. It works using gps, we did this for visiting Cuba and it worked great. It uses satellite and not internet. Try downloading your state first and see if you like it. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Try using the app maps.me, download it in the US of the countries that you will be visiting. It works using gps, we did this for visiting Cuba and it worked great. It uses satellite and not internet. Try downloading your state first and see if you like it. Good luck.

MAPS.ME is brilliant - I use it all over the World in my phone with GPS - once you download the maps you can use them offline without any cell connection at all.

I did a Baltic cruise over the summer, was the only person in my group with T-Mobile & had coverage in every location :D

In Russia, I had to toggle to a different carrier than what was pre-selected but it worked well once I did.

I'd receive a welcome message once I turned off Airplane Mode stating text/data were free & calls were .20/minute.

Love T-Mobile.

Thank you to Hallasm, Kim & Jajsmom for the info.

DTCruiser when using gps base maps.me do we have to put the internet on in the phone setting? Any special setting?

Thank y’all again.

You can turn off the internet if you want. I just read that if you do have the internet on and it’s working then maps.me will just give you greater detail on restaurants and other attractions, such as pictures, menus etc. Those you don’t really need if just using it for maps. It will still list restaurants, shopping etc. just not details. We use it all over and it works great.

Is google’s offline maps based also on GPS satellite?

Thanks again.

Yes - you can download Google Maps for use offline with GPS. BUT - it is a bit limited in that it only allows you to download the maps for quite small areas and they have a time limit for use - 1 month I think. There are indeed a number of mapping services that can be used offline and they all have their good and bad points. I find MAPS.ME to be quite detailed in areas that say Google Maps is not - for example , if in London the large parks walkways are shown in great detail whereas Google Maps is not and is more suited IMO to road usage.

We have T-Mobile with the ONE Unlimited 55 plan. This plan gave us unlimited data at 3G speeds. We traveled in Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Russia and France. Except in the remotest areas of Sweden and Norway, we had excellent data service. We used Google Maps in all countries including Moscow and St. Petersburg without any problems.

• 2 weeks later...