Cruising to Hawaii from Sydney to Honolulu or vice versa

Help please, we are trying to decide whether to cruise from Sydney to Hawaii in April or Hawaii to Sydney in September, which do you think would be better weather wise also looks like cruise is cheaper in April, any assistance greatly appreciated.

My answer isnt weather related but it is more luggage related....I have always been of the opinion that if you can, Fly there and then sail home. That way there is no luggage limitation on the way back and you dont have to think twice about buying things along the way.

We had this decision to make recently, and chose the Syd to Hawaii route. I admit that most, if not all our friends said go for the Sept, but this was solely based on shopping. Our decision to go for the April/May crossing was based on weather, with Hawaii hurricane season going from July through to Dec. One of their most devastating ones was in Sept some years ago.

We figured April/May we missed some of our aussie autumn weather. It allowed us the convenience of packing more for the cruise to make the 17 days more comfortable. Easier for us to do from home. Things like larger shampoo bottles, an egg crate topper etc. When we booked the air, we added extra luggage for the leg home. This cost is very reasonable IF you do it at time of initial booking.

So, yes, we go for April/May.....a weather based decision.

Help please, we are trying to decide whether to cruise from Sydney to Hawaii in April or Hawaii to Sydney in September, which do you think would be better weather wise also looks like cruise is cheaper in April, any assistance greatly appreciated.

It depends on which way you are going.

You can go between Sydney and Honolulu either through NZ and Tahiti or Fiji and Samoa.

I would go via Tahiti, but that means going to NZ. I would much rather go to NZ in April than September.

We are just doing the round trip

We are just doing the round trip

We did the 35 days on the Golden last year and would love to do it again as we had such a good time.

One thing I did notice compared to other Princess cruises (round NZ and the islands ) was how quickly some of the Princess tours sold out, especially the helicopter tours. In a couple of weeks they were gone.

One bulky item that a lot of people filled their suitcases up with was Skechers shoes. I'm sure the ship was overflowing with them. :D Just as well they didn't have to fly home. The garbage bins outside the Skechers store were erupting with empty shoe boxes left there by the Aussies and Kiwis from the ship. :eek:

So I had to choose I would work out how much shopping I was going to do and how much it was to pay the airline for extra luggage.

We did the 35 days on the Golden last year and would love to do it again as we had such a good time.

One thing I did notice compared to other Princess cruises (round NZ and the islands ) was how quickly some of the Princess tours sold out, especially the helicopter tours. In a couple of weeks they were gone.

One bulky item that a lot of people filled their suitcases up with was Skechers shoes. I'm sure the ship was overflowing with them. :D Just as well they didn't have to fly home. The garbage bins outside the Skechers store were erupting with empty shoe boxes left there by the Aussies and Kiwis from the ship. :eek:

So I had to choose I would work out how much shopping I was going to do and how much it was to pay the airline for extra luggage.

Thanks for the heads up.

I’d love to do the Helicoptor flight, but I know Mrs G can’t so will probably pass on that.

I agree with Hang-five; I much prefer to go from Sydney. I didn't find Hawaii to cheap for shopping. If i need new runners/joggers or anything. i'll just go on-line & get it sent to me at home. Firstly the main reason is the route..

You leave Sydney Harbour after 15 cruises it still doesn't disappoint. Diamond head is ok. With leaving Sydney you go Noumea, Fuji, Tahiti, Bora Bora then Hawaii. It just gets better & better along the way.. Coming the other way it goes down hill. Going to Moreea & then ending cruise at last port Noumea.. Shock horror..

Ok Rcl & Celebrity on there's you have 2 five day sea days; one at begining & then 5 days Tahati to NZ; at least Carnival & Princess are spread out.

One bag of luggage PP; ok you will have to do washing may-be twice on cruise. But you will never ever forget Moorea & Bora Bora.

While the weather factor is number one, I would also look at the number of ports that you stop at in each direction and go for the maximum number , there is a lot of days at sea between ports on those crossings.

The sea days on these cruises are lots of fun as you have the crossing of the Equator ceremony and the crossing of the date line when you either gain or lose a day.:cool:

Travelling from East to West means you get 25 hour days where as going the other way gets you 23 hour days, I know what I prefer when cruising. I agree that Tahiti or more specifically Bora Bora and Moorea needs to be on the list.

Travelling from East to West means you get 25 hour days where as going the other way gets you 23 hour days, I know what I prefer when cruising. I agree that Tahiti or more specifically Bora Bora and Moorea needs to be on the list.

So on the round trip I’ll get a string of 23 hour days followed by a few 24 hour days and then another string of 25 hour days.

Wonder what that’ll do to the old body clock.

So on the round trip I’ll get a string of 23 hour days followed by a few 24 hour days and then another string of 25 hour days.

Plus daylight savings ends around the time we leave

You will hardly notice it, unless you are setting alarms.