Sleep Aids for Long Flights?

Try and get something containing doxylamine succinate, should knock you out.

Another recommendation is trying to adjust to Australian time while you are on the plane - we had a long haul flight from Perth to Buenos Aires, so the second we got on the planes we switched over to South American time. It's hard but didn't have as bad jetlag as we otherwise would have when we eventually got off the plane at the other end.

My mother swears by Benadryl. But for me it has the opposite effect than it does for most people and gives me the “Jimmy Legs”. Since I’m terrified of flying to an embarrassing degree, my doc prescribes a low dose of Xanax. It ALWAYS puts me to sleep. I know you’re looking for OTC but for such a long flight you may want to consider a visit to your GP.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I recommend trying what you would use on the flight before you go in case you don’t like the effect it gives you.

Per above ... exactly!

Try before you go! Some of the drugs for sleep (even OTC) tend to have the oppositive affect and keep me awake.;)

I’ve never been able to sleep on a plane but a few years ago I was doing a red eye from Vegas and purchased a horseshoe neck pillow in the airport (the kind with the little beads in it). Fell asleep before the plane took off and didn’t wake up until we hit the east coast. It’s my constant travel companion now.

My mother swears by Benadryl. But for me it has the opposite effect than it does for most people and gives me the “Jimmy Legs”. Since I’m terrified of flying to an embarrassing degree, my doc prescribes a low dose of Xanax. It ALWAYS puts me to sleep. I know you’re looking for OTC but for such a long flight you may want to consider a visit to your GP.

I’m taking my first ever flight in June, and due to my fear of flying, my doctor also wrote me a script for Xanax. Can I ask you when you take it and how long it lasts? We have about a 3 hr flight to Atlanta, a 2.5 hour layover, and from there, to Miami.

Oh, the things I do in order to cruise... [emoji849]

We just took this flight a couple of weeks ago.

We were able to sleep since the flight left very late. I am assuming this is a 10:45 PM flight. We were served dinner and tried to sleep afterwards. We didn't take anything.

When we arrived to Sydney we made our way to the hotel and then after checking in we went outside into daylight and to get fresh air and forced ourselves onto the same time frame.

Our challenge with jet lag was after returning home.

Keith

I’m taking my first ever flight in June, and due to my fear of flying, my doctor also wrote me a script for Xanax. Can I ask you when you take it and how long it lasts? We have about a 3 hr flight to Atlanta, a 2.5 hour layover, and from there, to Miami.

Oh, the things I do in order to cruise... [emoji849]

I take it the moment that boarding begins. If you take it too early and the flight gets delayed prior to boarding it could wear off too early. For me Xanax is effective for about 10 hours, but I take drugs so rarely that I am heavily affected. As a previous poster mentioned, take it at home to see how it works for you. Based on your flight plan, it should work out perfectly.

I would never take any drugs to help me sleep on an airplane. For an 18 hour flight, which I took a 14 hour flight, I ate dinner, the plane than darkened the cabin, asked for all windows to be closed, and I snuggled in , and went to bed. The main reasons people can't sleep on planes is due to noise, and uncomfortable chairs. however, if you are tired enough, you will fall asleep. Use earplugs, and a sleeping mask.

We have a l-o-n-g flight, LA to Sydney Aust next month. About 18 hours.

Has anyone taken any sleep aids for long flights? I'm not talking about prescription total knock-out drugs but an over the counter type.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

I think we’re on the same cruise (Radiance March 18). When is your flight? We fly from Chicago to LAX and then on to Sydney on March 15 on American Airlines. I’ve been struggling with the same question you brought up. I’ve never been able to sleep on planes, including flights to Europe. I’m going to try Tylenol PM.

For those taking or considering Tylenol PM as a sleep aid -- just be aware that what makes you drowsy in this product is the antihistamine Diphenhydramine HCI 25 mg -- which is generic Benadryl. (There's no need for the Tylenol [acetaminophen] part at all, it just puts needless strain on your kidneys.) Antihistamines of course are very dehydrating; you may well wake up totally dried out, not the best thing when you are flying (which itself is dehydrating).

OP: Why not consult an actual doctor, rather than the medical "experts" here on CC? :D (Perhaps a true sleep aid like ambien would be best for you in this circumstance.)

For those taking or considering Tylenol PM as a sleep aid -- just be aware that what makes you drowsy in this product is the antihistamine Diphenhydramine HCI 25 mg -- which is generic Benadryl. (There's no need for the Tylenol [acetaminophen] part at all, it just puts needless strain on your kidneys.) Antihistamines of course are very dehydrating; you may well wake up totally dried out, not the best thing when you are flying (which itself is dehydrating).

OP: Why not consult an actual doctor, rather than the medical "experts" here on CC? :D (Perhaps a true sleep aid like ambien would be best for you in this circumstance.)

Tylenol PM vs Advil PM. Note that both Advil PM and Tylenol PM contain the anti-histamine Diphenhydramine (Benadryl is Diphenhydramine-HCL). Tylenol PM contains the HCL salt at 25mg. On the other hand Advil PM contains the citrate salt at a higher dosage (38mg). So Advil PM might be a stronger sleep aid for some. Also there are well known differences between Tylenol (acetaminophen) and Advil (ibuprofen) of course.