Guaranteed Cabin NOT Guaranteed?

deepcman

.....perhaps cruise lines that practice overbooking should also be required to keep sweetening the offer until they get sufficient volunteers?

No need to require them - they do it anyway. If you read the few threads about this subject that's exactly what happens.

I had always assumed that guaranteed meant you were guaranteed the category booked as a minimum, not that you were guaranteed to sail.

This GTY bumping is a bit of a strawman argument, you could be bumped even if you have an assigned cabin.

Biker, who wonders if the folks that read threads like this realize that anyone's chance of getting bumped is probably lower than getting into an accident on the way to the ship.

No need to require them - they do it anyway. If you read the few threads about this subject that's exactly what happens.

Guess I read it wrong....I thought a case was cited that the passenger's were bumped against their will, and that they were reimbursed but still not fully....that insufficient other's were not persuaded to yield to them.....

A few years ago we got a call from RCI four days before our cruise asking if we would switch from Freedom - sailing out of Port Canaveral to Allure sailing out of Fort Lauderdale due to an oversold cruise. Once onboard, Guest Services told us that 36 people made the switch! Although we accepted the offer - mostly because the girl who called was frantic to find local people that could drive to the other port - they offered us zero compensation, and we actually ended up losing money on the deal. :') Cost us an extra day of dog sitting for four dogs at that time ($80) plus we had to drive almost four hours instead of about 45 minutes - so lots more in gas. I should have asked for something to balance those expenses out, but I honestly didn't even think of it at that time. The cost for the actual cabin on both ships was about equal for that cruise.

That's awful... especially when you need to book air fare. We have a guarantee booked on Mariner. Can't imagine that one getting over booked but either way, that's not right as thought it was just the location that was not assigned....not if you get a stateroom or not.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

This topic is very interesting...

So the cruise lines are emulating the airlines in overbooking, even though they get full pay for the cabin when cancelled after final payment date? And the reason is they "lose on board spending revenue"? How much can that be as a percentage of the fare paid, especially from someone booking a Guarantee? Incredible....

The airlines do bumping, and they used to be limited by some sort of regulation or industry agreement of what the maximum offer they could make, to get volunteers to give up their seats; but after recent incident's, they have either raised that amount greatly or eliminated the ceiling.....perhaps cruise lines that practice overbooking should also be required to keep sweetening the offer until they get sufficient volunteers?

I've thought about this, and since I live near cruiseports, and have time flexibility, perhaps I should always book a Guarantee, in the hope that I may get bumped, and receive "an offer I can't refuse"....:p

There is and was no legal maximum that an airline could offer. That was up to the airline. And they don't have to offer anything. They can just deny you boarding.

But, there are legal requirements if they have to bump you off the flight. And if in Europe, the EU requirements are VERY harsh to the airline. So it is best for them to get you to volunteer to give up your seat.

And no, United did not pull that guy off the flight because he would not volunteer to get off. he actually volunteered, then decided to not accept the offer and ran back in the plane.

And let's see, a 9 night drink package is about $800 for two people. That is a VERY substantial percentage of any guaranteed cabin fare.

Though we have heard reports of overbooking on various cruise lines, these seem to be rare events. While airlines regularly and intentionally oversell flights, the rarity of the event on cruise ships makes me wonder if it accidental. For example, cabin(s) could be unexpectedly rendered uninhabitable (plumbing mishap or electrical issue or whatever). Or they could have had an IT glitch that inadvertantly resulted in oversold situation.

No matter how it occurs, the cruise lines should try, if at all possible, to find volunteers to move to another ship or sailing date rather than bumping random gty passengers. now that I live in Florida, I would consider a move-over offer as long as it came with a sweetener (much better cabin or substantial OBC or future cruise credit or such)

Yes, this is a common practice in hospitality industry. Airlines, cruise ships and hotels are all doing this knowing statistically, there will always be no show passengers on embarkation/boarding/arrival day. Unfortunately, their computer projections are not always bang on.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you get your cabin? I am scared, because I just booked a guarantee on Oasis for July. I wonder if I should call and see about selecting a stateroom now and how much more that would be.

I’m waiting for an assignment from a gty cabin now. All the other times, it was done in less than 2 days. It’s been 4 days now and the category we have the gty in has been sold out for 2 days. I’m getting nervous. We book this cruise every year for our anniversary. We better get a cabin.....

Gwen [emoji3]

Did you get your cabin? I am scared, because I just booked a guarantee on Oasis for July. I wonder if I should call and see about selecting a stateroom now and how much more that would be.

Way too early to be concerned about a guarantee assignment.

Have you ever been bumped when you booked guaranteed?

I am scared that I will already be on my way with hotel and everything being paid for and then told I can't go.

Depending on the price, we book a guarantee most every time it is offered. A few years ago, we had a cruise that was apparently overbooked and we were not yet assigned the cabin. According to the roll call, seems RCCL called passengers to offer them a sweet deal for them to take a cruise on a different ship or a week later. It is my understanding that they called folks who lived close to port.

Enough took the deal so that all the guaranteed or overbooked passengers had a cabin.

M

• 2 months later...
You're assignment can come anytime between now and the day you get to the ship. I really would not be concerned at all.

Sorry to bring this thread back but I'm curious, What happen with your luggage if you don't have a cabin assigned by the time you get to the port.? How do you tell the porter where to send your bags?

Sorry to bring this thread back but I'm curious, What happen with your luggage if you don't have a cabin assigned by the time you get to the port.? How do you tell the porter where to send your bags?

The porter can look up your stateroom on the manifest.