Does RCCL have rule regarding leaving/not completing an excursion/going off on own?

We are booked on JOTS Greek Isles cruise for July. I've read so many articles/posts regarding tendering in Santorini. Not many were positive.

To ensure getting off the boat quickly and maximizing the time we have there, we are thinking of booking the excursion to Perivolos. It's a 4 hour excursion with 2.5 hours spent at the beach. Transfer back to Fira with a walk past the church and then to the cable car (ticket included in excursion price).

Is it possible for us to go off on our own once we leave the beach. Take a bus up to Oia, or a water taxi (if that's possible). Hang around there then make our own way to Fira and back to the boat?

Many thanks for any help you can provide.

RCI does not run the tour they are only agents. I would think as long as you let your tour guide know you should be OK. After all, they really can't stop you.

Just be aware the cable car line in the afternoon is usually very long.

Tenders are run by a local operator, not RCI.

To ensure getting off the boat quickly and maximizing the time we have there, we are thinking of booking the excursion to Perivolos. It's a 4 hour excursion with 2.5 hours spent at the beach.

First of all, yes it is possible to leave the tour early but you must tell your guide so they don't think they lost you somewhere along the way.

Secondly, are you intent on that particular excursion? I see it is reasonably priced but in my opinion, you really don't get much for that. I would not spend 2 1/2 hours at a beach when there is so much more to see and explore while in Santorini.

We did this excursion and I highly recommend it. You tender not to Fira with most other passengers, but to the old port of Athinios. From there you get on a coach bus and go directly to Oia, then to a winery, and finish the tour in Fira where you can get on the cable car any time you like, or do what we did and take the steps back down to the tender pier in Fira.

It. Was. Phenomenal. And yes it does cost more but you start your day in Oia instead of trying to get there. Your free time in Fira can be as long as you want.

Just my suggestion. Have fun!

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do?sourcePage=shorexByPort&ProductCode=SO01&DestinationCode= <--click here