Radiance/Windjammer seating complainers

Just got back from Alaska on the "new" Radiance. Prior to sailing I noticed a myriad of complaints regarding a lack of seating in the Windjammer due to the new specialty restaurants.(following is the most anal thing I've ever done in my life)

From the Windjammer in each corner of the room there are 4 doors, each leading to another adjacent seating area...which were virtually empty almost every busy time I was there.

Door #1 to the Boardwalk Hot Dog Stand - 14 tables and 70 chairs

Door #2 to Izumi - 19 tables and 68 chairs

Door #3 to Rita's Cantina - 18 tables and 72 chairs

Door #4 to the Windjammer Cafe Veranda - 15 tables and 72 chairs

What did we learn?

1. I loved the ship, but dislike people that complain about everything.

2. You might have to walk 4 extra steps with your loaded buffet plate.

3. Yep, I'm anal.

I had also read a lot of complaints (still do actually) prior to our Oasis cruise last year. I was absolutely dreading eating in there, but we did on port mornings because we wanted to eat and get off the ship.

We did not have a problem at all....not once. Each time we walked in, there was an attendant right at the entrance asking us how many, we told him 2 and he took us right to an empty table. They asked what we wanted to drink and then we went to get our food. No problems at all.

Maybe we're some of the lucky ones.:)

Azspeed, are you my grandpa? ;) Ha ha!! My grandpa (89 years old in July) counts everything! Tables in restaurants, ceiling tiles in hotel rooms, guests at a wedding/party. Your post really made me think of him!

Oh, and, thanks for the info! Good to know I'll have a seat on our upcoming cruise. :)

Just got back from Alaska on the "new" Radiance. Prior to sailing I noticed a myriad of complaints regarding a lack of seating in the Windjammer due to the new specialty restaurants.(following is the most anal thing I've ever done in my life)

From the Windjammer in each corner of the room there are 4 doors, each leading to another adjacent seating area...which were virtually empty almost every busy time I was there.

What did we learn?

3. Yep, I'm anal.

You actually went and counted the additional chairs! :eek: Good for you. :pWhen we were on board last month, Clunis, the HD, told us that they added more seating for the WJ. Now we know the exact total..........280!!:D

Just be aware that those 72 chairs are not available for lunch as Rita's hours are 2-9:30. And Izumi sometimes serves lunch so you'll lose those 68 chairs as well. But hey, who's counting!!

I love it! Thanks for the info! I find that most newbies don't figure a lot of things like this out on cruise ships. They pretty much just follow the herd and don't explore - just human nature. But that is what makes Cruise Critic so great - it helps accelerate the learning curve.

Just be aware that those 72 chairs are not available for lunch as Rita's hours are 2-9:30.

We ate lunch most every day in the Windjammer and sat at Rita's without any issue. Hardly anyone was actually eating at Ritas it seemed so there was plenty of space available and no one questioned us. It was nice sitting out there on port days....little chilly on sea days....we did breakfast there daily as well. Weren't too many out there any time but they never told us we couldn't sit there.

I wonder if some people don't realize they can sit in those venues at lunchtime? Is it clear to people? Or is it just that they cant or don't want to walk there?

Here's a thing I've noticed over many years of cruising. Many people have major mobility issues, and cruising ( rightfully ) attracts them as a fairly low mobility type of trip. ( a standard resort with the same number of bigger rooms would be spread across acres!) But it also creates many, many complaints that wouldn't exsist if people had better mobility and while I believe many people can improve this in very simple ways, I'm not judging, because many cannot.

One example: crowds at elevators- I never take the elevators, so crowds there never bother me. People in good physical condition should not get " worn out" climbing 2-3 flights of stairs, people in excellent condition don't break a sweat climbing 6-8 flights. So that's what I do, I climb, always, and I never have to contend with elevators, and more importantly, I leave the elevators freer for those who must use them.

I think WJ complaints fall along the same lines. Of course any food venue you walk into at high noon on a sea day is bound to be busy. It would be at home for your favorite lunch spot too, if everyone was there at the same time and didn't have the option of jumping in their car to go someplace less crowded. You get your plate and look around, if you have mobility issues, you want something very close by, but all those table are full. I usually head out to the hinter lands, it's quieter, no one is dropping their plates at your feet from the buffet line and it's quieter, usually closer to the waterview and most importantly, it frees nearby tables for those who cannot walk long distances.

It goes on and on like this on every cruise ship of every size...pools are crowded-but dozens of chairs on the level above are wide open, theater is crowded, have to save seats- we sit in the balcony, usually all by ourselves, the beach is crowded- walk 1/4 mile from the parking lot/drop off point in any direction on any beach, not crowded.

I like that you counted all those seats and pointed out that for the price of a few more steps, all that real estate could be yours! It's what keeps me moving...life is much easier for me if I can move ( even a few feet) away from the crowds and leave space for people who don't have that luxury!

It's amazing how much empty space is to be found on a cruise ship if you branch out. There are probably chairs that go an entire cruise without being used. Maybe not in the MDR but in a lounge/piano bar/reading room or someplace similar. Even the crowded areas, as mentioned, will acommodate you if can walk a few extra steps.

It's amazing how much empty space is to be found on a cruise ship if you branch out.... Even the crowded areas, as mentioned, will acommodate you if can walk a few extra steps.

Agreed but many people just don't do it or don't know to do it. A cruise in the first place may overwhelm them, let alone where can they eat their lunch. :p

Something I have also noticed that leads to not enough seating in the WJ.

People dont want to share a table.

We have asked at 8 and 10 tops if two seats were taken, when told yes we move on, but then have noticed that no one ever sat there while we were eating.

So two or three people sit at tables for more but dont want to share. They are really missing out, because we have met some of the nicest people and learned so much by sharing our table.

Its not a life sentence and they dont handcuff you to these strangers, you just have to share a meal together.

There have also been times when we have sat with others and after saying HI, they have not said another word to us. But we all sat and ate without wandering around with trays in hand.

And as to the wandering with tray in hand: we always find the table first and take turns going for food, that way we dont take our food for a walk before eating.

Agreed but many people just don't do it or don't know to do it. A cruise in the first place may overwhelm them, let alone where can they eat their lunch. :p

I totally agree with this statement. we all talk amongst ourselves as so many here have cruised often and know the drill. A newcomer to cruising or even Royal may not know they can walk through some doors to other venues and sit down with WJ food and eat. Better communication from the cruise line to the pasengers here is needed I'm thinking. Maybe a simple sign that says open for Windjammer seating could be quite helpful.

I wonder if some people don't realize they can sit in those venues at lunchtime? Is it clear to people? Or is it just that they cant or don't want to walk there?

Here's a thing I've noticed over many years of cruising. Many people have major mobility issues, and cruising ( rightfully ) attracts them as a fairly low mobility type of trip. ( a standard resort with the same number of bigger rooms would be spread across acres!) But it also creates many, many complaints that wouldn't exsist if people had better mobility and while I believe many people can improve this in very simple ways, I'm not judging, because many cannot.

One example: crowds at elevators- I never take the elevators, so crowds there never bother me. People in good physical condition should not get " worn out" climbing 2-3 flights of stairs, people in excellent condition don't break a sweat climbing 6-8 flights. So that's what I do, I climb, always, and I never have to contend with elevators, and more importantly, I leave the elevators freer for those who must use them.

I think WJ complaints fall along the same lines. Of course any food venue you walk into at high noon on a sea day is bound to be busy. It would be at home for your favorite lunch spot too, if everyone was there at the same time and didn't have the option of jumping in their car to go someplace less crowded. You get your plate and look around, if you have mobility issues, you want something very close by, but all those table are full. I usually head out to the hinter lands, it's quieter, no one is dropping their plates at your feet from the buffet line and it's quieter, usually closer to the waterview and most importantly, it frees nearby tables for those who cannot walk long distances.

It goes on and on like this on every cruise ship of every size...pools are crowded-but dozens of chairs on the level above are wide open, theater is crowded, have to save seats- we sit in the balcony, usually all by ourselves, the beach is crowded- walk 1/4 mile from the parking lot/drop off point in any direction on any beach, not crowded.

I like that you counted all those seats and pointed out that for the price of a few more steps, all that real estate could be yours! It's what keeps me moving...life is much easier for me if I can move ( even a few feet) away from the crowds and leave space for people who don't have that luxury!

I couldn't agree more! And also, go Red Sox (Boston transplant)!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't complain much, but I have to agree with some of the "complainers" about the Windjammer on the Radiance. Of the many cruises we have been on, the WJ on the Radiance was by far the worst from a seating standpoint, and not because we weren't willing to walk a few extra steps! Don't get me wrong, we just got back from the June 15th sailing - the Radiance is a wonderful ship and we had a great time. The situation in the WJ isn't something bad enough that it should keep you away from sailing on the Radiance, but it is one of the few negatives on this ship.

The problem with seating in the WJ was worse on sea days at lunch (with everyone on the ship, rather than in port), but could also be on port days - beacuse the Main Dining Room was closed for lunch. Also, we went early for breakfast and it was not a problem then, but it was pretty packed by the time we finished.

While I agree that the four seating areas noted tended to be empty, both the Hot Dog Stand area and Rita's are covered but open to outside air - and for our particular sailing it was pretty darn cold out there for eating (this wouldn't be a problem if the ship was in the Caribbean nor probably in July/August in Alaska). Izumi's was open for lunch on sea days. That left the Veranda area - which was sometimes closed off as a special seating area for the kid's program (and I think it was the sea days).

Even if you wanted to go eat in the area of Rita's or Izumi's, I have to admit even for a seasoned cruiser, the way it is set up tends to make you believe it is not open for WJ seating (it's advertised there is a "cover charge" to eat there, there is an entry kiosk out front, speciality menu's in plain view, i.e., it's not obvious if it is open or closed for specaility dining, etc.). It was funny, because on one day when the Veranda area was open but completely empty we took our food in there and were followed by a large crowd once everyone figured out this was ok to do.

So, if a LOT of folks are complaining about the WJ on the Radiance, it probably means this is an area that RCCL could really improve on (and not just some whining by a few folks!). Adding simple "open for WJ seating" at the entrance to Rita's and Izumi's (as one poster suggested) and even for the Veranda area would be very easy and reduce some confusion. Maybe keep the Veranda area open by taking the kids program lunch to an area in the Main Dining Room?

Also, I noticed a lot of people sitting around and chatting for a long while after they had finished eating - where they could easily have moved to another area on the ship to free up a table.

Another suggestion is eating in the MDR for breakfast or lunch (lunch in MDR was only open on the busy sea days). After fighting through the lunch crowd in the WJ on the first sea day, we ate lunch in the MDR the last sea day and it was basically empty, then we went by the WJ area and it was overflowing full. I also found the food in the MDR for lunch much better than the WJ (but of course limited) - in that the WJ lunch selections seemed to have more than a normal number of unusual items, most that didn't appeal to me.

But . . . overall we throughly enjoyed the Radiance and trip to Alaska!

• 4 months later...

Have read anecdotal evidence in these forums where people have grabbed a table in Windjammer and placed either towels, bags or at least some item to indicate the table is actually occupied whilst they go off to get food only to find upon return squatters have usurped their position.

Now I know there needs to be compromises made when travelling with lots of other people having to share these kinds of dinning resources but boy would I blow a vavle if that happened to me.

Our family usually like to eat our meal together. So we try to get food and then grab a table rather than have one of our party babysit the table whilst the others go get food and then when someone returns that person goes and gets theirs. Doing it that way means we all end up finishing at different times and the poor sod who babysat the table could end up last to finish - everyone wating for him/her to finish their meal. Probably not explained well but you get the idea...

Thought about making up a sign "Table Reserved" in big letters and having it laminated to take with us on the cruise to use so its really obvious that a table is being used!

Edited by tangogulf
Spelling (Isn't it always

What did we learn?

3. Yep, I'm anal.

Umm .... apparently so -- you actually went and counted tables and chairs in all these areas just so you could post that on here ? Koo-Koo!

Something I have also noticed that leads to not enough seating in the WJ.

People dont want to share a table.

We have asked at 8 and 10 tops if two seats were taken, when told yes we move on, but then have noticed that no one ever sat there while we were eating.

So two or three people sit at tables for more but dont want to share. They are really missing out, because we have met some of the nicest people and learned so much by sharing our table.

Its not a life sentence and they dont handcuff you to these strangers, you just have to share a meal together.

There have also been times when we have sat with others and after saying HI, they have not said another word to us. But we all sat and ate without wandering around with trays in hand.

And as to the wandering with tray in hand: we always find the table first and take turns going for food, that way we dont take our food for a walk before eating.

"Trays" what ship were you on that had "trays" ?

Usually just the two of us cruising..and I wouldn't even think of sitting at a large table and taking the space (sorry but we prefer to dine alone)..We look and hope to sit at the 2 tops or the counter type seating in the WJ. We also eat and move on giving someone else the chance to sit...and have often let others know that are looking we were leaving and offering our table

Edited by Ashland

I was on Radiance in March and never once did I have a problem finding somewhere to sit.

Yes, it was around Vanuatu and New Caledonia when it was warm, but the outside seating area at the back was nearly always empty??

If the inside Windjammer area was close to full, I either went to Rita's or Izumi. And yet again, one person does it, others follow.;)

In the end it became automatic to head outside the glass doors. Not only was it quiet, but got some nice fresh air as well.:)

Few people will walk any further than needed...and most don't know if you keep walking, the crowds thin out. Happens on the private beaches all the time! Most folks come to the 1st group of loungers...and PLOP...that's where they stay! They don't know there is more of the same further on!

I totally agree with this statement. we all talk amongst ourselves as so many here have cruised often and know the drill. A newcomer to cruising or even Royal may not know they can walk through some doors to other venues and sit down with WJ food and eat. Better communication from the cruise line to the pasengers here is needed I'm thinking. Maybe a simple sign that says open for Windjammer seating could be quite helpful.

Sorry but this was not the case when we were on Oasis. In fact on one port day they had part of the Windjammer closed off and would not let people sit there. They place was packed. I can understand that they may not have been anticipating that many people aboard on a port day and not having all of the food islands open. But to not let people use the tables when there was no where to sit was ridiculous.

I am glad that the OP had "no issues using the Windjammer at all." That, however, is not everyone's experience.

Unless they have changed it.... there is also outside dining on the Radiance. I love that options. (Sans smokers) I will miss it on my next cruise with Norwegian. GOD I miss sailing on that lovely Radiance class of ships. I sure wish they would build some more and forget more Floating islands of the Seas.:rolleyes:

I had also read a lot of complaints (still do actually) prior to our Oasis cruise last year. I was absolutely dreading eating in there, but we did on port mornings because we wanted to eat and get off the ship.

We did not have a problem at all....not once. Each time we walked in, there was an attendant right at the entrance asking us how many, we told him 2 and he took us right to an empty table. They asked what we wanted to drink and then we went to get our food. No problems at all.

Maybe we're some of the lucky ones.:)

To be honest, on both ships we never even went into the Windjammer as there are sooo many other venues to eat at.